2CAudio Kaleidoscope | It's A Trip | Latest Update 1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

It's perfectly useful as is. Anything else will be nice icing.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

BTW Guys,

I picked up a 40" (101 cm) 4K display yesterday. Samsung UE40HU6900 TV. This has 4! HDMI 2.0 inputs! It can do 3840*2160 at 60 Hz refresh rate! Unfortunately the video source has to support this also via HDMI 2.0, and the Mac Pro is only HDMI 1.4, so I am limited to 30hz.

But after reading some more about setup etc and adjusting some settings to optimize use for computer instead of TV use (simply set the input name to "PC" and it disables various image DSP that enhances TV/movies but is bad for computer use such as dynamic contrast, and sharping etc.), this display looks quite nice! The quality seems comparable to my 30" Apple Cinema Displays (2560*1600)!

This thing cost only ~$600 here in Europe where I am now! (Apple Cinema Display was ~$2,000 when it came out!)

If the Mac Pro gets a firmware update or something to support HDMI 2.0 out, this monitor is about perfect. There should be some NVIDIA/AMD video cards that support HDMI 2.0 already for Win also.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1821783
http://www.overclock.net/t/1494788/sams ... nnectivity

This is the future... once you see 4K at 101cm, everything else just feels wrong! A useable desktop of 3840*2160 is just awesome! Feels like science fiction!

This is much better than Apple Retina stuff that does not make functional use of all these pixels. 5K in 27" inches is too small. Looks pretty for iPhoto, but it does nothing for productivity. 5K should be 50 inches -- at least 45.

Until someone makes a 5K panel at this size this 4K Samsung UE40HU6900 is really quite nice, and a great value!

Aether and B2 HD GUIs look divine on this thing! :o

I now want to make the KS 2560*1280 GUI! :D

After 1 week with my 4k Sharp PN-K312 32" monitor, I must say, that I love the visual experience. but of course many plugins would need to be updated so that they can take advantage of the Retina world.

Sampleconstruct wrote:After 1 week with my 4k Sharp PN-K312 32" monitor, I must say, that I love the visual experience. but of course many plugins would need to be updated so that they can take advantage of the Retina world.
Despite wanting desperately to try it, and waiting for such things for at least a decade, I held out for 4K until now, as I think the monitor should really be physically larger than ~30".

40" for 4K seems right to me. And just using native resolution. No resampling via "retina" stuff please. I already obsess about GUIs at the pixel level, and want to see exactly what is designed! Same for KS Image Maps.

5K at 45" or so would be even better prob, but I don't see the point of 5K at 27"... fonts already looked pretty good at 2560px wide at 27".

The race to highest pixel per inch, is like crazy high sample rates: pure marketing... :o No one needs 4K on their mobile phone (I am sure someone will try it though...)

I think 1k per 10" is about right for desktop displays...

4K at 32 inch, is not too bad, but I prefer the 40".

That said the Shap monitor is a bit higher quality in terms or color accuracy etc.

but the $600 Samsung has 4!! HDMI 2.0 inputs. So it have a built in monitor switch also, so you could connect multiple machines without using a KVM switch (which I am not sure exist yet for 4K, and prob cost a ton if they do.) At $600 this thing is really quite good!

They're about $900 USD, as far as I can see from here in America.

Another interview if you are interested:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/mee ... dio-619754

First answer is mostly recylced from things I already said/wrote, but the rest is completely new. They encouraged me to "wax philosophical" so I did. :D

they even managed to find a "vintage" Aether 1.0 GUI screen shot. :o :oops: :D

We are working away on KS 1.1....

rustman wrote:They're about $900 USD, as far as I can see from here in America.
yes, I see... I think I got a very good deal actually, it was on sale in Bucharest, Romania, where I am at the moment and the USD to RON exchange rate is also quite good right now...

anyway, after two days of working with this now, I must say I am still quite impressed. For DAW use and web/development etc even the 30hz limit seems perfectly acceptable so far. I read something about extreme lag/latency for these compared to a normal computer display over DVI/Display-port/Thunderbolt, but so far I really don't notice this too much either... I now really wonder why we couldn't really do this perviously? why should computer monitors cost much more than TVs at this point? Still evaluating, but my impression is very favorable thus far...

and 4K at fully useable size, is just awesome! :tu: :tu: :tu:

Galbanum wrote:
rustman wrote:They're about $900 USD, as far as I can see from here in America.
yes, I see... I think I got a very good deal actually, it was on sale in Bucharest, Romania, where I am at the moment and the USD to RON exchange rate is also quite good right now...

anyway, after two days of working with this now, I must say I am still quite impressed. For DAW use and web/development etc even the 30hz limit seems perfectly acceptable so far. I read something about extreme lag/latency for these compared to a normal computer display over DVI/Display-port/Thunderbolt, but so far I really don't notice this too much either... I now really wonder why we couldn't really do this perviously? why should computer monitors cost much more than TVs at this point? Still evaluating, but my impression is very favorable thus far...

and 4K at fully useable size, is just awesome! :tu: :tu: :tu:
I'm going to blame you for quite a while into the future for planting the seed in my head for a giant 4K monitor. I'll live with 3 27"s for now.
:x :clown:

rustman wrote:
I'm going to blame you for quite a while into the future for planting the seed in my head for a giant 4K monitor. I'll live with 3 27"s for now.
:x :clown:
If you're gonna blame me, then let me plant something better:

three 40" 4K displays!

or even better:

three 45" 5K displays!

plus one 45" 5K touch display to keep horizontally or at a shallow incline for mixer etc...

:o :o :o

:tu: :tu: :tu:

:D

I use a 55" TV screen for my living room computer. I can see it well from 10 feet away.

Jim Hurley - experimental music
Windows 10 Pro (20H2 19042.662); i9-9900K@5.1GHz;
Cakewalk; Adam Audio A8X; Axiom 61

Spent some time with ArtMatic and Photoshop this evening, creating new fuel for Kaleidoscope, here is one for the gallery:

this is perhaps the ULTIMATE graphic synthesizer for KS
why am I just discovering this now?
http://synthetik.com/studio-artist-features-overview/

jackmazzotti wrote:this is perhaps the ULTIMATE graphic synthesizer for KS
Whoa! That looks awesome! I've never seen it either. I think I could have a lot of fun with that, music-wise or not. The wheels are turning. thanks for the heads up Jack. :tu:

rustman wrote:
jackmazzotti wrote:this is perhaps the ULTIMATE graphic synthesizer for KS
Whoa! That looks awesome! I've never seen it either. I think I could have a lot of fun with that, music-wise or not. The wheels are turning. thanks for the heads up Jack. :tu:
Its a fantastic tool, though it main strength is to synthesize sketching, painting or drawing styles and applying it to photographies or even video clips
roxy.jpg
Big fun, but not the most effective for a use for KS, me thinks...Metasynth and Artmatik-made kaleîdoskopic (!) images seems a bit more appropriate,

By extrapolating my experience in creating Impulse responses (mainly with Metasynth), i assume that simple abstract images will give you more effective and more controllable effects
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

@Galbanum, about 4k monitors: how do you deal with GUIs that are too small to work with comfortably at higher resolutions? I'm still on 2560x1600 and I still use a number of softsynths and processors whose devs stubbornly refuse to move beyond single-pixel characters in their today under-sized GUIs. This issue must be even worse on 4k monitors.

On the PC I get by with the system magnifier and on the Mac there's the system-wide zoom function, but for different reasons these are somewhat annoying to use. The easy solution is to just stop using plugins that have lower resolutions; with the amazing variety of processing available today, that's conceivable. But in sound design, there's always going to be some older processor that does something unique you absolutely need to use... with a tiny GUI, unpractical for high resolution. There doesn't appear to be a system wide solution to deal with magnification at the window level.

Return to “Effects”