Vst3 support

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a list of DAWs and hosts that support VST3?

Only Steinberg hosts (Cubase and Nuendo) support it fully. After that Studio One seems to have pretty good support for most features.

Several other hosts and subhosts support loading VST3 plugins but vary in their support for the full range of VST3 capabilities:

Tracktion 6 (but so far no support for VST3 presets)
Sonar from v X3
FL Studio
Reaper will support it in the next version (5) (partial support for VST3 presets)
Plogue Bidule (partial support for VST3 presets)
Metaplugin (but so far no support for VST3 presets)
Last edited by aMUSEd on Sun May 03, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not meaning to high jack the thread as it's kinda on topic.

Is there sucha thing as a vst3 wrapper allowing vst2 plugins to be supported in a vst3 environment without workarounds.

Specifically thinking of something like glue vst2 sidechain being functional in cubase without the quaddro workaround.

aMUSEd wrote:Only Steinberg hosts (Cubase and Nuendo) support it fully.
What are you talking?? Vst3 aren't just cpu-lighter and something connected to automation better than vst2?? There is something more?? can you explain??

MFXxx wrote:Not meaning to high jack the thread as it's kinda on topic.

Is there sucha thing as a vst3 wrapper allowing vst2 plugins to be supported in a vst3 environment without workarounds.

Specifically thinking of something like glue vst2 sidechain being functional in cubase without the quaddro workaround.
Not until Metaplugin or Bidule come out in VST3 versions, currently they load VST3 plugins into VST2 and AU hosts but not the other way round.

There is the Vienna mixing host that I believe can do this but it's very expensive.

aMUSEd wrote:

Not until Metaplugin or Bidule come out in VST3 versions, currently they load VST3 plugins into VST2 and AU hosts but not the other way round.

There is the Vienna mixing host that I believe can do this but it's very expensive.
Thanks amused

Scottex wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Only Steinberg hosts (Cubase and Nuendo) support it fully.
What are you talking?? Vst3 aren't just cpu-lighter and something connected to automation better than vst2?? There is something more?? can you explain??
Yes, the VST3 spec contains support for things like per note expression but not all hosts that support loading VST3 plugins support that (e.g. Studio One doesn't). Also as stated many hosts support loading VST3 plugins but don't support, or at least support usefully, loading of their presets.

aMUSEd wrote:Only Steinberg hosts (Cubase and Nuendo) support it fully. After that Studio One seems to have pretty good support for most features.

Several other hosts and subhosts support loading VST3 plugins but vary in their support for the full range of VST3 capabilities:

Tracktion 6 (but so far no support for VST3 presets)
Sonar from v X3
FL Studio
Reaper will support it in the next version (5) (partial support for VST3 presets)
Plogue Bidule (partial support for VST3 presets)
Metaplugin (but so far no support for VST3 presets)
Any word on Ableton, bitwig, logic?

Well Bitwig doesn't even fully support VST2 yet (bank loading is coming in 1.2) and doesn't support AU either so I guess VST3 may need to wait awhile. I doubt Logic will ever support anything other than AU.

Live currently supports VST2 and AU, I think out of these 3 the probability of them adding VST3 support is probably the best, but even so, probably not till Live 10.

I believe Samplitude Pro X2 does support VST3 but it's still a work in progress. I am not really concerned right now but I recall reading some issues with it on the Samp forums...I could be wrong though
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

aMUSEd wrote:

No, Vienna Ensemble Pro connects to Cubendo as VST3 [including Audio Input as VST3, which I'm unsure of the point of] but does not support VST3 in it. The connection as VST3 affords multiple MIDI ports. Odd in that VSL Vienna Suite's plugins come in VST3.

FWIW I typically use the VST3 version (if available) of plugins in FL. Always been stable for me. Seems the implementation is pretty solid.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”