Charlatan 2.0 Final Free VA synth released (Windows)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan Charlatan - Time Capsule

K82 wrote:Charlatan was 8 voice polyphonic right? What does the unison and stereo width do to the voices? When using full usinison, can chords still be played for example?
I suppose it will have 56 voices max when using max unison...

phdsg vn chfhn wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: ...
What does the new knob in the global section do? I don't hear a difference when I turn it 8)
as the symbol indicates: stereo(-width), use 2+ voices ;)
I thought so too, but somehow I did not get a stereo effect, but more of another detune effect...

Passing Bye wrote:oooh man, first PG-8X, now this, wuuuuttttt :hyper: :wheee: :party:
I know right! :hyper:

The new GUI doesn't show in FL Studio 12 when you load charlatan up. Works fine in FL 11 and Mini Host Modular Beta 3. Thanks. :shrug:
KVR >Gear Slutz! Change my mind! :clap:

It loads fine here in FL Studio 12. Awesome little synth BTW!

Yorrrrrr wrote:It loads fine here in FL Studio 12. Awesome little synth BTW!
Strange. Whenever I load it up here it shows up with the 1.4.1 GUI. Doesn't do that in FL 11 or Mini Host Modular. :?

VSTJuNkiE wrote:
Strange. Whenever I load it up here it shows up with the 1.4.1 GUI. Doesn't do that in FL 11 or Mini Host Modular. :?
I suppose what shows up with the old gui IS the old version. Do you have both in your folder?

fluffy_little_something wrote:
VSTJuNkiE wrote:
I suppose what shows up with the old gui IS the old version. Do you have both in your folder?
:lol:

I have the old one and the new one in the same folder. Doesn't matter whether I load up the old or new or even the x64 version. Same thing "old gui".... :wink:

VSTJuNkiE wrote:
VSTJuNkiE wrote:

I have the old one and the new one in the same folder. Doesn't matter whether I load up the old or new or even the x64 version. Same thing "old gui".... :wink:
try renaming the old version to charlatan14.dll
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:
VSTJuNkiE wrote:
VSTJuNkiE wrote:

try renaming the old version to charlatan14.dll
:clap:

Thank ya! Weird that "that" worked... :ud:

One of my favorites just became even better! Thanks so much for the update!

I've been testing it for a while and it works perfect and stable her (Win8 x64, Core2quad, Renoise). There's only one possible bug I've encountered. The new version has an unstable frequency compared to 1.4.1 here. It fluctuates about 8% up and down and is very noticeable while playing long notes. It doesn't matter whether I turn DCO on or off, it always does this. The old version had a very stable frequency compared, even with DCO turned off (I actually never noticed a difference with DCO on or off, in both versions). Is this working as intended?

yiNXs wrote:One of my favorites just became even better! Thanks so much for the update!

I've been testing it for a while and it works perfect and stable her (Win8 x64, Core2quad, Renoise). There's only one possible bug I've encountered. The new version has an unstable frequency compared to 1.4.1 here. It fluctuates about 8% up and down and is very noticeable while playing long notes. It doesn't matter whether I turn DCO on or off, it always does this. The old version had a very stable frequency compared, even with DCO turned off (I actually never noticed a difference with DCO on or off, in both versions). Is this working as intended?
Pitch drift was always present as a feature. I admit that in 2.0, it's a bit over the top. It will be reduced for 2.0 final. BTW, DCO only causes oscillator phases to reset at the beginning of a note but doesn't affect pitch stability. I know it's kind of a misnomer.

karrikuh wrote:Pitch drift was always present as a feature. I admit that in 2.0, it's a bit over the top. It will be reduced for 2.0 final. BTW, DCO only causes oscillator phases to reset at the beginning of a note but doesn't affect pitch stability. I know it's kind of a misnomer.
Mystery solved! Thanks for the quick answer. Looking forward to the final version.

Although I may actually start liking the over the top drift :)

karrikuh wrote:Pitch drift was always present as a feature. I admit that in 2.0, it's a bit over the top. It will be reduced for 2.0 final. BTW, DCO only causes oscillator phases to reset at the beginning of a note but doesn't affect pitch stability. I know it's kind of a misnomer.
Maybe make a knob that controls the amount of drift ?
Like on hardware Prophet 08, the "Slop" knob.

Perhaps surprisingly, the pitches of the 08's oscillators are digitally controlled rather than voltage controlled. I asked Smith whether he felt that he was taking a risk implementing DCOs rather than VCOs. "DCOs picked up a bad reputation long ago because they were sorely lacking in resolution, and they sounded too stiff," he explained. "Now, with very high-speed frequency control, the oscillators in the Prophet 08 can be exact and lock up (which can be useful sometimes), or they can be precisely detuned, or you can add what we've called oscillator 'slop', which is a slowly varying random frequency change, independent on every oscillator. This is a subtle effect, but it does a great job of mimicking VCOs when you want that characteristic VCO sound."
https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb08/ ... 08.htm#Top
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

i was kinda hoping for a sine osc shape in 2.0 :cry:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Instruments”