Sknote SDC vs. Acustica Aquamarine vs. UAD SHMC ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

has anybody compared these three? They have their technical differences, not to mention huge price differences 30$/179€/299$+hardware, but still are inspired by same piece of hardware. I like the idea of opto+vca+transformer coloration for a bus compressor. Too bad there is no way to demo any of these :dog:
...though SDC is really cheap and if any good :clap:

So, are those other really that much better and if so, how?

http://sknote.it/SDC.htm

http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... Itemid=189

http://www.uaudio.com/store/mastering/s ... essor.html
Last edited by DonHepe on Wed May 06, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SHMC sounded pretty good from the demos I heard but SDC is actually surprisingly good. The developer posted a demo over on gearslutz. So I would say its worth it easily.

Funny thing is that there's no real way to demo any of them (you can demo UAD but only if you have hardware)...

ckam03 wrote:SHMC sounded pretty good from the demos I heard but SDC is actually surprisingly good. The developer posted a demo over on gearslutz. So I would say its worth it easily.
Agreed... coupled with HO mojo preset for Nebula, "for that sound"... Awesome!!! :wink:

gmitch wrote:
ckam03 wrote:SHMC sounded pretty good from the demos I heard but SDC is actually surprisingly good. The developer posted a demo over on gearslutz. So I would say its worth it easily.
Agreed... coupled with HO mojo preset for Nebula, "for that sound"... Awesome!!! :wink:
:tu:

SDC is not surprisingly good, it's just flat out great! The price is irrelevant. Quinto (as a builder of hardware as well as plugins) just knows his shit!

meloco_go wrote:Funny thing is that there's no real way to demo any of them (you can demo UAD but only if you have hardware)...
Ha ha nice....so true. Not a good tactic for devs IMO.
There ya have it...

Well, you can't demo the HW, either ... :)
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote:Well, you can't demo the HW, either ... :)
Some dealers give units for demo.

I don't know the other two plugins, but I give Quinto's SDC a big thumbs up. He is a really interesting developer, and I like to support his work.

I also bought SKNote SDC about a week ago and this thing is scary good, highly recommend :tu:

Quinto how long does it take for the order to go thru? Ive just bought it and keep getting a 404error on my link. Not seeing any way in the shop to download. It asks which version i want 32, 64, or osx and then nothingness.....

EDIT; forget it, it showed up. Thanks.
There ya have it...

This software has been pretty buggy for me. Waiting for a new release to comment further.
There ya have it...

Also, its a little hard to tell on the site, if and when there has been any update to the software. I know Quinto was supposed to update SDC very recently, but really, theres no way of knowing if he did...Im sure im missing something.
There ya have it...

I think a few bugs crept into the second release; the first release seemed more stable and behaved more predictably. He's also adding a wet-dry mix knob if I'm not mistaken.

I suppose that right there is likely to remain the main difference between hardware and software. A software build can train-wreck a processor. :shrug:

Return to “Effects”