is there any program or vst that allows midi quantizing by stretching instead of moving?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

imo he explained it well, but i wonder how the daw would decide what's the "next note" so it can preserve the length of the gap or overlapping

i try it with pseudo code

Code: Select all

for each note:
	old_start = note.start
	quantize(note.start)
	note.saved_distance = note.start - old_start

for each note:
	if note.saved_distance != nil:
		previous_note = find_previous_note(note)
		previous_note.length += note.saved_distance - previous_note.saved_distance
		previous_note.length = max(MIN_NOTE_LENGTH, previous_note.length)
but what would find_previous_note() do?
it might take a key/beat ratio as another argument so it can know what note (what angle) to prefer
before quantizing there could have been placed the times into two 2d arrays
note_starts[key][start]
note_ends[key][end]
start and end being in low resolution
and it would look for the shortest path from the note_start to a note_end that satisfies that key/beat ratio
and it would look around (left and right, up/down in any case) in case it was gaps *or overlappings,
or it goes just left when you know you played staccato,
or just right when you know you played legato

or it doesn't do that search at all, it just cheaply walks a linked list of notes and does merely not what you'd expect at all
it's kinda complicated, maybe not existing in a daw at all

frenchboy wrote:it's a simple concept. usually when you quantize only the beginning of notes (not the end), the note is moved to the beat. I would rather it was stretched so that the ending remains where it is in relation to the beginning of the next note.
Do you mean quantizing only the start position without affecting the end position for a group of notes?

If you mean this, then I couldn't find such a function in three hosts (Cubase Elements, Reaper and Studio One).

I use it sometimes to shrink or stretch the notes from the start or the end without affecting the other end, but usually I adjust them one by one by mouse (I never tried a group of notes, even if it is a chord) so I have a better control of what exactly I want to do (Also by enabling/disabling 'Snap' or 'Snap to Grid' is helping to have like fine tuning the position).

I think scripting in Sonar with CAL script(process, not realtime) would allow it, and Reaper JSscript(realtime) as well.

And have a look at BlueCatAudio Plug'n Script plugin - might allow it too. I am to investigate that language further if to buy it. You can make midi processing, in realtime too, that I know and have it work like VST midi plugin.

REAPER can do it.
I thought every modern DAW could.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Studio One 3 can do that, hold ALT while draggin' midi clips :tu:

Scottex wrote:Studio One 3 can do that, hold ALT while draggin' midi clips :tu:
Did you read the OP - it's about quantizing only note-on, and leave note-off where it is.

But a bit badly titled topic though.

The OP was confusing to me also.

But yeah, it doesn't even really have to be a literal stretch. It could just be adding or subtracting the distance it moves to or from the note length, same result.

frenchboy wrote:it's a simple concept. usually when you quantize only the beginning of notes (not the end), the note is moved to the beat. I would rather it was stretched so that the ending remains where it is in relation to the beginning of the next note.
Except that, once quantized, the subsequent note's note-on message would also be moved such the relation between the end of the first note and the start of the subsequent note would still be changed. So, unless your desire is to quantize individual notes (which would be quicker to do manually by simply dragging the leading edge of the first note to the grid and leaving everything else alone), I don't see a way that you can quantize notes via stretching the note-on messages to the grid and keep all of the note-off/note-on relationships intact.

Maybe what you really mean to say is that "I would rather it was stretched so that the ending (i.e., all note-off messages) remains where they are. Period."????
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”