Native Instruments Kontakt 5.5 Update now online

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Now online (from the NI Facebook Page)
11209627_956500094401643_6476891500352308820_n.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

do you think Kontakt 6 will be out this year? i ask this to myself as i dunno to upgrade to K10 Ultimate or not as i got only kontakt 4 and wanna use Kontakt 5 for some new libraries :(
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Not sure what they could add to a new Kontakt, really. The only reason to update to 6 would be either for a cash grab or to rebuild the engine from scratch which wouldn't really be worth it considering how good 5 has been.

I think the GUI is getting really long in the tooth myself. It's too hard to get to the most basic controls.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Mystic wrote:Not sure what they could add to a new Kontakt, really. The only reason to update to 6 would be either for a cash grab or to rebuild the engine from scratch which wouldn't really be worth it considering how good 5 has been.
There's always "more effects, more scripting possibilities, and then a few surprises" thing. :)

Gonga wrote:I think the GUI is getting really long in the tooth myself. It's too hard to get to the most basic controls.

Agreed! the GUI is terrible, and a killer for me is, the quick load still doesn't refresh samples, this is terrible after this long.

There's so much room for improvement by now, when they finally did offer the resizable GUI,years ago they didn't put much thought into it. The library tab gets bigger oh wow! Good job NI not..

I'm not sure what it'll take to get a revamped interface ,but i agree it's getting OLD. I Love Kontakt so I'd love to see them improve it.

How about offering vst support within Kontakt? That'd be an improvement, also a much better database option, I cannot stand the browser/database in K5. It seems like every other product they have has a better browser then the app, that should have the best.. imo
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

EvilDragon wrote:
Mystic wrote:Not sure what they could add to a new Kontakt, really. The only reason to update to 6 would be either for a cash grab or to rebuild the engine from scratch which wouldn't really be worth it considering how good 5 has been.
There's always "more effects, more scripting possibilities, and then a few surprises" thing. :)
Scripting is powerful, but who using a DAW really needs to have more average FX added to a softsynth? The important focus for a sampler should be VCF quality and resampling.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

they should also add old sampler emulations (circuit modeled, not the one that's currently there)! Imho more interesting than mediocre fx. And yeah circuit modeled filters (0dbf)
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

... a resizeable GUI should be planned with caution. Kontakt is the most powerful softsampler on the market, which has encouraged quite a number of sound designers to support it exclusively. But this will also make it difficult to offer a resizeable GUI, as the libraries' graphics aren't resizeable, revisions will cost the developers a lot of money and having two different GUI modes will also be quite impractical. Not saying it won't happen, but I imagine it will open a can of worms. And GUI programming is quite an important part of creating a Kontakt instrument, as one can tell from the complaints about Kontakt's oh-so-complicated interface. But I'm quite curious to see how this issue will be adressed in the future.

Changing FX via KSP will be a killer feature and I hope we'll be able to use the instrument busses for parallel processing some day...

(...and I'd like a bug-free revision of the 3x2 filter and the AET filter could get more support...)

penguinfromdeep wrote:they should also add old sampler emulations (circuit modeled, not the one that's currently there)! Imho more interesting than mediocre fx. And yeah circuit modeled filters (0dbf)
"Circuit modelled" doesn't gel well with a sampler that can potentially play hundreds of stereo voices at once. It would roast any CPU existing and not yet existing. Same goes for 0dff.

Anyways new filters in K5 are a very big improvement over the old ones. And yes, they do burn more CPU. For a good reason.
trusampler wrote:and a killer for me is, the quick load still doesn't refresh samples, this is terrible after this long.
Quickload isn't supposed to do that at all. It just creates shortcuts to your most often used NKIs/NKMs. If you move them elsewhere, well then... shortcut reference is broken. Now imagine the CPU and disk usage while searching all your hard drives for those target files. Not a good solution at all!
trusampler wrote:How about offering vst support within Kontakt?
Stability and support nightmare. Won't ever happen, I'm quite sure.
trusampler wrote:also a much better database option, I cannot stand the browser/database in K5. It seems like every other product they have has a better browser then the app, that should have the best.. imo
Compared to, saaaay, MachFive 3 or Independence, Kontakt's database is leaps and bounds better and more flexible. Period. Competition doesn't have tag-based browsing at all, AFAIK.
electro wrote:Scripting is powerful, but who using a DAW really needs to have more average FX added to a softsynth? The important focus for a sampler should be VCF quality and resampling.
Except not all FX in Kontakt are "average". The new EQ, compressors and Jump Amp in K5 are much much better than old ones. same goes for the new filters.

As for resampling, that's pretty much taken care of with the HQI "perfect" option, which is basically Sinc64 (or was it Sinc128?) interpolation. Very high quality, but burns some serious CPU when you need to stretch samples very far away from the root.

electro wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
Scripting is powerful, but who using a DAW really needs to have more average FX added to a softsynth? The important focus for a sampler should be VCF quality and resampling.
while you´re certainly right on vcf quality and resampling, i strongly disagree when it comes to fx within kontakt. those are simply mediocre and fx _belong_ to a preset, being an integrated part of the sound itself mostly... good fx algorithms in a synth/sampler are mandatory imo, and kontakt is one of the products that failed completely regarding this since v1. and ni doesn´t give a shit. they still carry that delay bug around since v1, they just don´t care to fix this missimplementation. and god knows they know of that issue...
so, before anything else (exept of course bugfixing), i would love to see their mediocre fx section being pushed to the new century, by adding a _proper_ delay, a _proper_ chorus, a _proper_flanger, a _proper_ phaser and a _proper_ algo reverb with modulation - all that basic stuff. this alone would go a loooong way.
just my daims...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Since Kontakt 5 has been out, Steinberg has introduced Halion 5, IK has put out Sampletank 3 (more ROMpler, but still) and, I believe, MOTU has put out Machfive 3. IMHO, Halion 5 is the much better of those, but there are things NI can learn from Halion.

Always room for improvement. However, the biggest problem is that K5 is now such a juggernaut that major changes will have to be accomodated by hundreds of 3rd party devs in their products. NI has, in the past, not really respected backward compatibility, even with it's own products.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

brok landers wrote:they still carry that delay bug around since v1, they just don´t care to fix this missimplementation. and god knows they know of that issue...
They can't fix it because it would break backwards compatibility, and yes, they are very aware of the issue. And yes, Kontakt 6 is going to happen. And a big wink now ;)

(That said, I don't think chorus, phaser and flanger are by any means bad in Kontakt. Phaser especially is very nice.)
BERFAB wrote:However, the biggest problem is that K5 is now such a juggernaut that major changes will have to be accomodated by hundreds of 3rd party devs in their products. NI has, in the past, not really respected backward compatibility, even with it's own products.
Except, Kontakt 5 is completely backwards compatible, you can load v1.0 patches in the latest Kontakt without any problems at all. The reason delay behaves as it does is exactly because of that - backwards compatibility!

Any changes related to GUI as far as regular UX and scripted UI/UX that might happen in Kontakt will have a fallback - developers won't be forced to change all their scripted GUIs at all. Backwards compatibility is important and NI does understand that, especially with Kontakt being the most widely used virtual sampler in existence with thousands of 3rd party libraries out there. They will honour that.

Don't know about you guys NI have been really quiet. They have the kontrol update and maschine update coming. I have not seen any releases of reaktor instruments, and their are two kontakt libraries. Also some maschine expansions. Traktor 3, new audio interfaces, maschine 3, new maschine controller, komplete 11, and more coming.

Personally I'm wishing for a new and better user interface. But that wait have been for many years now.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Return to “Instruments”