MUX Owner With MULab Questions

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Taron wrote:Doesn't your EastWest come as Kontakt instruments as well?
My EWQL is only compatible with PlayVST. I wasn't aware of any Kontakt compatible library.

Anyway, I'm testing out the 32 bit version and so far no problems.

Well, for whatever reason (and I have no idea why) my 64 bit plugins won't load into 32 bit MuLab, which includes my Zebra 2 that I paid $200 for.

I tried, but this is simply not going to work. I either have to give up my 32 bit plugs or my 64 bit plugs and even if I decided to use both 32 and 64 bit MuLab versions, I can't load 32 and 64 bit plugins into the same project.

As they say in the entertainment biz, that's all she wrote.

It's been fun, but this simply won't work for me.

You cannot load 64 bit plugins into 32bit Mulab or 32bit plugins into 64bit Mulab. That's why Jo was suggesting as an alternative that you bridge (Jbridge) your 64bit plugins to 32bit, which is possible, but I find it just as funky as the other way around.

I can't believe you paid tons of money for a vst that only exists as 32bit, that's the weirdest to me, honestly.

When ever changes happen, concessions come along. You just have to figure out what works best for you. Also, beware not to run in circles, because that can drive anybody nuts. I'd also consider carefully to start from scratch, being aware that 64 bit and 32 bit are two different worlds and I would do everything to stick with 64 bit! See what you already have as that and what you can still get as that.

Also reevaluate what you really, really need, or if there isn't a much better alternative or at least something just as good. It's inconceivable that there isn't something better. It's tempting, but most troublesome to get stuck on old ideals, while it's really healthy to renew your approaches, knowing that the new stuff has greater power.

In the meantime I'm almost certain that Jo will cook something up for that dilemma! :)

Taron wrote:You cannot load 64 bit plugins into 32bit Mulab or 32bit plugins into 64bit Mulab. That's why Jo was suggesting as an alternative that you bridge (Jbridge) your 64bit plugins to 32bit, which is possible, but I find it just as funky as the other way around.

I can't believe you paid tons of money for a vst that only exists as 32bit, that's the weirdest to me, honestly.

When ever changes happen, concessions come along. You just have to figure out what works best for you. Also, beware not to run in circles, because that can drive anybody nuts. I'd also consider carefully to start from scratch, being aware that 64 bit and 32 bit are two different worlds and I would do everything to stick with 64 bit! See what you already have as that and what you can still get as that.

Also reevaluate what you really, really need, or if there isn't a much better alternative or at least something just as good. It's inconceivable that there isn't something better. It's tempting, but most troublesome to get stuck on old ideals, while it's really healthy to renew your approaches, knowing that the new stuff has greater power.

In the meantime I'm almost certain that Jo will cook something up for that dilemma! :)
My most important synths are 64 bit with a couple of exceptions. Those exceptions, unfortunately, are deal breakers. They are too important to my work.

Here is a list of all my VSTs. I have marked the 32 bit ones with an *

A.N.A.
ABSynth 5
ACE
AM Freehand *
Analog Lab
Analog Laboratory
Anti Transpirant 1000 *
ARP 2600 V
ART Pyrite *
Battery 4
Bazille
Blooo *
Blue II
Brainstormer *
Brzoza *
Charlatan *
CS 80
Cycle
Daedalus *
DaHornet *
Deputy
Dexed
Discovery Pro
Dominator *
Double Six XXL *
Dune 2 *
Eclipsis *
Electra 2
Element
FM8
Fmetal *
Free Alpha *
Funxion *
HaHaHa CS33 *
Harmor
ImpOSCar 2 *
Jupiter 8V
K700nu *
Kairatune *
KarmaFX Modular
Kontakt 5
KX Poly M CSE *
KX Synth X16 *
Latte Free *
Lektro *
Lokomotiv *
Lucid *
M1
Massive
MauSynth *
Mini V
Modular V
Mono Fury *
Mono Poly
Mpowersynth
Mr Alias Pro *
MS 20
MUX Modular
Mystic
Oberheim SEM
OBXD *
Olga *
Omnisphere
OP-X Pro II *
Or2V *
Padshop
Patchwork Modular System *
PG 8X *
Pianoteq
Play VST
Podolski *
Polly 8 *
Poly 6 *
Prologue
Prophet V
Ragnarok *
Rayblaster
Reaktor 5
Retrologue
Revitar *
Rez 3 *
Scrooo *
Serenity *
Serum
Six *
Sonigen Modular *
Spector
Spectrobits *
String Studio
Strum Acoustic
Strum Electric
STS 26 *
STS 33 *
Superwave P8 *
Swierk *
Synth1
Synthmaster 2.5
T-Force Alpha Plus *
T-Synth *
Table Synth
TAL Bassline *
TAL Elek7ro II *
TAL Noisemaker *
TAL U No 62 *
TCM II *
TDM 3 *
Tetra *
The Mangle
The Tiger *
Trance Drive *
TS Substance *
Tyrell N6
Uniwave *
Vast Vaporizer
VMP 1 *
Wavestation
X-WoF 6 *
X11 *
XAKT *
XILS 4
Z3ta+2
Zebra 2

As you can see, I run very heavy 32 bit but my work horses, for the most part, are 64 bit.

Bazille
Blue II
MUX Modular
Omnisphere
Play VST (for EWQL)
Reaktor 5
Serum
Synthmaster 2.5
The Mangle
XILS 4
Z3ta+2
Zebra 2

So there is no option of splitting the baby in two here. Ultimately, it's one or the other.

As for spending money on 32 bit plugs, when i first started my PC recording life back in 2013 (after 34 years working in an analog studio) I didn't know there was going to be a 32/64 bit problem. I got a Windows 7 64 bit OS because I was told 64 bit was where it was going and most stuff in this business was 64 bit.

So I then got Cubase 7 64 bit to go with it.

What they didn't tell me was that there were a lot of great 32 bit plugins out there. Fortunately, Cubase has a built in bridge to handle MOST of them. So when I downloaded a demo of a 32 bit plug that was only available as a 32 bit plug, if it worked and wasn't free (most were) I bought it. Why wouldn't I? After all, it worked. There was no reason not to buy it. And with that, I only have maybe a half dozen 32 bit plugins that I paid for. The rest were all free.

Since that time, however, I have ONLY purchased 64 bit plugins unless there was something out there so amazing that I just had to have it. And then, ONLY if the demo worked in Cubase.

The situation that I am running into now, I never anticipated. I was always told you can load and run a 32 bit plugin in a 64 bit DAW. I guess MuLab is the exception.

Only a few of my 32 bit plugs had to be JBridged in Cubase. The rest worked perfectly fine using Cubase's internal bridging system, whatever it is.

So you can blame my ignorance and inexperience on the situation I now find myself in and that's fine. But it doesn't change the situation. I need a DAW that can run ALL the plugins that I now have.

MuLab cannot do that and thus is not an option at this time.

wagtunes wrote:The situation that I am running into now, I never anticipated. I was always told you can load and run a 32 bit plugin in a 64 bit DAW. I guess MuLab is the exception.
JBridge exists because that's not the case. JBridge exists because many hosts do not have an internal bridge. JBridge exists to save host developers spending time ensuring they spend their time on developing a bridge rather than developing their DAW, which is what you're paying them to do.

I just think that you are a little too worried that you somehow are left stranded without your 'work horses', you know. But your state of mind is most important and if you feel comfortable, this is where you have to be.
For the fun of it, you could continue to explore MuLab, make it a "hobby" too see how far you can go with it, but don't make yourself feel threatened by weird limitations, that would be bad!

Anyway, as you can see, we're all here with you and if you ever have any more questions or just want to share some ideas, look for inspiration or the likes, don't hold back. Your many years of studio experiences are of such tremendous value, I'd love to get the chance to learn something from you, too!

Pity it's so much trouble, but the universe has a weird plan sometimes. You never know what all this is good for, but it sure is good for something! :)

pljones wrote:
wagtunes wrote:The situation that I am running into now, I never anticipated. I was always told you can load and run a 32 bit plugin in a 64 bit DAW. I guess MuLab is the exception.
JBridge exists because that's not the case. JBridge exists because many hosts do not have an internal bridge. JBridge exists to save host developers spending time ensuring they spend their time on developing a bridge rather than developing their DAW, which is what you're paying them to do.
And JBridge doesn't work. LOL.

Probably the worst purchase I ever made since converting to PC based recording. I'd say the failure rate on 32 bit VSTs in Cubase was at least 50%. But VSTs that work in Cubase don't work in MuLab even after I bridged them.

I appreciate everybody trying to win me over to this DAW, which on face value is wonderful. The 64 bit plugs work in the 64 bit version. The 32 bit plugs work in the 32 bit version. I have yet to have a crash as long as I was loading a supported plug. The work flow, while it took me a few hours to get the hang of, is beautiful. Adding FX and automation is a breeze. Much easier than in Cubase.

This would be the perfect DAW if it just ran everything I needed it to run. I mean what exactly am I supposed to do without? I can't do without the VSTs that I design sound libraries for because that's my main business. Unfortunately, I've designed libraries for 64 and 32 bit VSTs. Again, I didn't think this would be a problem and it wasn't until now.

Even if all my sound libraries were 64 bit plugs, and my main business were not affected, that still leaves me with the "fun" part of my musical life, which is making music.

If I go 64 bit, I can say goodbye to doing anymore OSC's. Most of those synths are 32 bit. If nothing else, I certainly won't be able to enter every one that comes up. Creating music itself will limit me to my 64 bit plugs. While that might not sound like the end of the world, given how many I have, including MUX itself, the point is, why must I have to give up anything?

This whole thing is very frustrating because I really do detest Cubase. Forget about getting any kind of support over at their forum. That place is a joke, unlike here where you guys are so responsive and helpful. And no, the irony is not lost on me.

Eventually, I will get fed up with Cubase, sell all my 32 bit plugs, and move over to MuLab.

That day is just not today.

If I go 64 bit, I can say goodbye to doing anymore OSC's.
Not really, you do know you can use both 64 bit and 32 bit versions on same license?
I know there are other issues for you but just thought I'd clarify that.
Like Taron said, nothing to stop you keeping hold of the demo versions just keep up with developments.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

bibz1st wrote:
If I go 64 bit, I can say goodbye to doing anymore OSC's.
Not really, you do know you can use both 64 bit and 32 bit versions on same license?
I know there are other issues for you but just thought I'd clarify that.
Like Taron said, nothing to stop you keeping hold of the demo versions just keep up with developments.
Well, that does solve a lot of problems being able to use either one on the same license. At least I can continue developing libraries, simply choosing the one I need depending on the synth.

I'm not totally throwing in the towel on this just yet.

For the record, I love the work environment. It looks nice. It's clean. It's easy. It's damn flexible. It's almost perfect except for one nagging problem.

I'm just so glad that I'm such a lousy hobby musician that I somehow manage to feel comfortable with the few tools I'm using. It would eat me up, if I felt unable to create anything enjoyable without a specific set of plugins.

However, I must say, you have a stunning amount of vsts! By the way, thank you for listing them all!
Come to think of it, if I were to go through all of mine, it might just come out to be just as many...hmmm.

Thankfully, I have never made music a profession of mine, despite a number of opportunities. It just felt unpleasant to me for one reason or another. However, that totally allows me to explore without obligations or limitations and I recently started to have a fantastic time again with making MuLab only compositions. Creating instruments with MUX, especially the "new" multiform Oscillator and the brand new and improved Note to Modulation Converter, which is beginning to be an incredibly serious module.

The only thing that continues to bum me out is that I cannot handle MUX mastering tools. I should start a post about that, hoping some folks can jump on it again and share some of their experiments/examples. It's not that I don't know how a compressor or limiter works. I know that quite well and have used them nearly excessively in Reason as well as a number of VSTs, but somehow they seem to do exactly what I expect, as opposed to the mux modules. I am not planning to give up on those either, but I'm most eager to finally get those under control or figure out what's odd with them?! Maybe they're just components of what normally includes more functions?

Anyway...getting carried away there, haha. I'm discovering again and again just how much more power is lingering inside MuLab and not once have regretted to continue exploring! :hyper:

Hi Wagtunes

I looked at your list of plugins and noticed that some of those you have
marked as 32 bit actually exists as 64 bit:

FreeAlpha
OBXD
Podolski
TAL Bassline
TAL Elek7ro
TAL Noizemaker
TAL U No 62

there may be more but those were the ones I have myself.

Cheers
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

I just looked at the OP-X Pro II page...I can't believe how bold they are, selling their product now as 32bit vst, while it takes literally nothing to compile it for 64bit, honestly. And it's not even cheap, paha...shiiiiit, that's really bold. I'm not a guy of great many principles, but I wouldn't touch that. It really is no effort whatsoever to compile for 64bit. I've just the other day considered writing my own vsti again, dug up my first test, realized that it was 32bit and switched to compiling 64bit...baddabingbaddaboom...done. And you can do that with the freaking free Visual Studio Express 2013 or do I have 15 already, what ever... ridiculous.

Some folks I just don't get. I wonder, if their programmer has long since left and they just keep selling his work?!? :|

Just was curious about this thread today; a few observations:

In most cases, you can install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of any plugin or softsynth on the same system, using the same license. All of the 64-bit plugins on wagtunes' list that I recognize are available in both formats. Typically 32-bit and 64-bit versions use a common same repository for their presets, so they can be loaded in both versions. This isn't universally true, but most of them are like that now.So it doesn't have to be "one or the other".

32-bit hosts work just as well in a 64-bit OS as they do in a 32-bit OS. Your needs should define which you use. If most of your plugins are 32-bit only, then use a 32-bit host. But just be conscious that a 32-bit app can only use 3GB max in a system. If you need to accommodate long and/or complex projects with lots of sampled instruments (like orchestral production), that 3GB cap ends up too small which is exactly why many have moved to a 64-bit host AND a 64-bit OS to accomodate it. So with a 64-bit OS you can go either way.

JBridge has been very handy to me specifically for integrating the few 32-bit plugins I still use in a 64-bit host. It has been very stable for me and some claim it's more stable than Cubase's bridge (or used to be). Again, looking at that long list of 32-bit plugins, my concern would be more with the stability of the plugins themselves. Many are from smaller devs and may not be updated or debugged as thoroughly as more popular commercial plugins. Beware of older plugins and plugins that are assembled using SynthEdit and SynthMaker: not so much because of the problems with those platforms (although I stay away from them because of my own bad experiences with them) but because some plugins are put together by people who are not strictly programmers and are more likely to make questionable choices.

Which brings me to OP-X Pro: it's done in SynthEdit and SynthEdit is still in beta for the production of 64-bit plugins. Eventually I expect it will be released and at that point OP-X will no doubt be released as 64-bit. So it simply can't just be recompiled...

Wow. :neutral:
Somehow this whole genre of VST creators went by me completely unnoticed, I had no idea?! :smack:
Well, see, now that makes me twice as happy and content that I always try to pull things off from scratch. SynthEdit, hmmm...apparently there's also a Synthmaker, RackAFX and I'm sure some more...I'm oddly surprised.

Anyway, thanks for the info! :tu:

Return to “MUTOOLS”