Waldorf Largo

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Largo

A new sound bank and mix from Sami would revive interest in Largo :)

I've often considered a KVR soundbank for Largo. Once you've submitted 8 patches,
or an audio demo, you are given access to the full bank. What do you think?

16 spots available = 128 patches

If Largo is 64 bit I will immediately buy it.
Sounds as good as hardware.

PascalVB wrote:If Largo is 64 bit I will immediately buy it.
I never checked out Largo, but they did a bang up job on the 3.V.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Hello, on p.23 of the user's manual, it says that if you select a wave form such as pulse, the Wave and Wave Mod Source parameters are used to change its pulsewidth. Is what they call Wave Mod Source the parameter right next to the wave form drop down menu? I'm asking because instead, what should read "Wave Mod Source" actually reads Osc 1 Wave, and what should read "Wave" actually reads Osc 1 shape. And further in the same page, it says we can select the 01PW and 02PW modulation sources (I guess for the pulse wave), but then, where are these 2 modulation sources? They are not part of the available sources in the matrix view. Thanks for clearing that up! :)

calande wrote:Hello, on p.23 of the user's manual, it says that if you select a wave form such as pulse, the Wave and Wave Mod Source parameters are used to change its pulsewidth. Is what they call Wave Mod Source the parameter right next to the wave form drop down menu? I'm asking because instead, what should read "Wave Mod Source" actually reads Osc 1 Wave, and what should read "Wave" actually reads Osc 1 shape. And further in the same page, it says we can select the 01PW and 02PW modulation sources (I guess for the pulse wave), but then, where are these 2 modulation sources? They are not part of the available sources in the matrix view. Thanks for clearing that up! :)
To question 1 about the parameter right next to the wave being the PW parameter: yes. :) And you can modulate that parameter with the "Wave" slider at the bottom of the respective oscillator section, just like you would scan through the wavetables, you scan through the pulse width by assigning an LFO for example, and then adjust the slider to set the modulation intensity.

Gatcha...Thanks, yes, it's working as expected...The LFO modulating the pulse width :)

I don't see the difference when "Limit" is on or off in the oscillator section. From the description:
The Limit parameter controls if the "analog" waveforms found at the end of most Wavetables are included into Wave Modulations or if they are left out. This helps creating wavetable scans without always keeping an eye of not hitting those accidentally.
But in the drop-down menus that list the wave forms, I see the same number of wave forms, whether "Limit" is on or off... Anyone knows more on this "Limit" button?

I'm a bit lost concerning the Control W, X, Y, and Z modulators in the matrix. I've found nothing in the manual concerning them, unless I missed it. Anyone know exactly what these do? I've tried them out, and am baffled. I don't see a performance grid...?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ha ha suck it!

Apostate wrote:I'm a bit lost concerning the Control W, X, Y, and Z modulators in the matrix. I've found nothing in the manual concerning them, unless I missed it. Anyone know exactly what these do? I've tried them out, and am baffled. I don't see a performance grid...?

In the Blofeld it is possible to assign MIDI CC numbers to those and that feature seemed to be transferred to Largo but the ability to assign MIDI CC seemed to be forgotten...
This was added to the bug list for Largo a while ago but not implemented yet.

I admit i never used this in the Blofeld so far and if nobody would have mentioned it for Largo in the past i would maybe never have noticed it.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
Apostate wrote:I'm a bit lost concerning the Control W, X, Y, and Z modulators in the matrix. I've found nothing in the manual concerning them, unless I missed it. Anyone know exactly what these do? I've tried them out, and am baffled. I don't see a performance grid...?

In the Blofeld it is possible to assign MIDI CC numbers to those and that feature seemed to be transferred to Largo but the ability to assign MIDI CC seemed to be forgotten...

I admit i never used this in the Blofeld so far and if nobody would have mentioned it for Largo in the past i would maybe never have noticed it.
Ha! I knew they were arbitrary :lol:

Overall though, it's hard to complain over the modulation matrix in Largo. I am especially impressed by the ability to modulate the individual envelope parameters. I get some serious power over the sounds I make with this synth, it's a real monster.
Ha ha suck it!

Apostate wrote:
Ingonator wrote:

Ha! I knew they were arbitrary :lol:

Overall though, it's hard to complain over the modulation matrix in Largo. I am especially impressed by the ability to modulate the individual envelope parameters. I get some serious power over the sounds I make with this synth, it's a real monster.
Actually after selling a bunch of plugins and 2 hardware synths (Moog Slim Phatty and Virus TI desktop) i am back to focus on my favorite synths and currently mostly on my Waldorf Blofeld (while i also own and use a Pulse 2 and all of the Waldorf plugins...).
While the synth engines of Blofeld and Largo are very similar or even mostly identical there are also some differences in the Blofeld like e.g. Sample import (64 MB flash memory), the PPG filter mode and import of custom wavetables (the free Audio Term wavetable tool has a comnpatible output format). Also sound wise both synths do not seem to be 100% identical and when trying to re-program patches 1:1 the parameters have to be adpated (which means they could not be transferred 1:1).

Of course there are also features in Largo not included with Blofeld (e.g. Sub-Oscs, layers except the multi.mode in Blofeld and Bass boos in Largo). Of course with Largo you also got a higher polyphony, depending on your CPU (while since the 64-bit update the CPU use of Largo is quite low, also due to a few optimizations in the code).

Before selling the Virus TI i made some samples of the Hypersaw at different detune amounts which ia am curently ung in the Blofeld and also in PPG Wave 3.V (which besides the wavetables has sample playback too).

Currently also re-sorting the Blofeld factory presets (8 banks = 1024 patches) to have 4 free banks for new patches, my own commercial bank and 2 other 3rd party banks (besides 4 banks with the best from the factory presets).
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I've come across a number of your presets and couldn't help but be impressed, great sounds! They often inspire me to do my own thing, and that means I'm grateful.

Yes, sample import would be awesome in Largo, but then we do have that in both PPG and now Nave. What Largo allows the user to do with the samples on hand is just astounding to me, the matrix is just killing it from all perspectives imo. You can tweak for weeks lol!

I've never owned a hardware synth, but after seeing so much praise from so many users it's my first choice. I am just plain crazy about the Waldorf sound, most particularly from Nave and Largo. I realize at least some of it has to do with the onboard effects, of which the reverb is particularly terrific and characterful imo.

I only need the Blofeld and the PPG 3 and my collection will be complete. Well...then I might have to pick up the Korg Wavestation 8)

Oh, and thanks again for the Codex, a bizarrely underrated and great sounding synth imo! I'd love if they added a page to the matrix though, plus (fill in the blanks)...
Ha ha suck it!

PascalVB wrote:If Largo is 64 bit I will immediately buy it.
Largo is 64 Bit ;)
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

The post is from 2013, maybe Largo hasn't already been 64-bit at that time. :)

Oh didn't see ;)
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

Return to “Instruments”