Feature Requests

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let me explain more in depth, maybe we can reach a solution.

The reset button reset all the parameters to a good initial configuration (imho). They're not all zero (left most position), because:

1. Some knobs have their -no effect- position in the middle, like the C+B balance, or the 303 Midline. They're pretty likely to a PAN/BALANCE knob from a mixer.

2. Others knobs don't go from 0 to 100%, but maybe from 10% to 100% (like Density) or from 20% to 400%.

Let's see an easy example, the Mutator. As you know the mutator is organized in pairs of knobs: probability + amount. A probability of zero or an amount of zero means that such function has no effect. When you RESET it, all the probability go back to zero, while amount go to around a 20% value - it means it has no effect. Why this 20% value? because it's usually a good starting point, and for the most of your mutating tasks you only have to use the probability settings.

About the 303: The reset button do not have effect in the options, since they're common for your bassline synth (external). Example, if you're using D16 Phoscyon, you will need different values than using Spire. The Generator page doesn't go to zero because:
- Density: All basslines (specially 303 ones) have around 70% of note probability.
- Midline: it's like a Pan knob, it's neutral position is in the half.
- Expresion: This is pretty questionable, and indeed, this parameter could be zero, but I thought it could be a good starting point.
- Transpose, Accent, Slide: Same that expresion.

The C+B:
- Density: You always want to adjust this know, I thought a good starting point is around 70%.
- Musicality: same that 303's Expression.
- Lenght: Pretty weird knob, in the first half it generates gated notes, in the second half it generates notes fixed to snap. I decided a good starting point is the generation of 1-snap notes, that's why it's in that position.
- Balance: It's like 303 Midline.
- Bass and Dynamics: Like 303's Expression.

The easiest solution for me is change the default values of these knobs like 303's Expression to zero. But others should be keep (specially those similar to a pan knob). The hard and time consuming is allow the user create his own default settings.

Let me know what do you think about this.

kurodo wrote:Another thing that I noticed is in the C&B generator with everything set to zero it still outputs some gated bass notes.
The same happens in the 303 generator.
Not sure why that's the case? It implies the one of the sliders isn't reseting to zero to begin with.
Possibly the density slider?
I forgot to reply this: That's because density never reach the 0% (I think the minimum is 10%) since you always want to generate some notes.

The gated notes in 303 generator/mutator is produced due to the options GATE setting.
The gated notes in C+B is produced due to the length setting (read the inline help or my previous post explanation).

Thanks for the in depth explanation, I understand the logic behind all the parameters now.
squaredheads wrote:
The easiest solution for me is change the default values of these knobs like 303's Expression to zero. But others should be keep (specially those similar to a pan knob). The hard and time consuming is allow the user create his own default settings.

Let me know what do you think about this.
Anything that is hard to implement and time consuming isn't really worth the effort, well not when things work as well as they do and I am sure you have higher priorities.

Thanks for taking the time out to explain.

Has anyone requested or considered a basic 'Start At Next Quarter-Note' function? It's pretty standard in arps/seq's, it helps them all play nice together...

What does that function? Could you give me an example where that function would be useful?

It's a live use thing...

It means that the phrase does not respond to your input until the next beat, so everything lines up with the timing of other sequencers, for example a drum sequencer or step sequencer other than NORA. Most step sequencers/arpeggiators have a switch, usually named something like 'Start Next:', where you can specify either 'immediate' (like how NORA operates now) or 'next beat' (which triggers the phrase on the next quarter-note). That way if you are inputting on multiple channels all your phrases start at exactly the same time.

This could be in a case where your keyboard is split and your left hand is playing one midi channel while your right hand is playing another, or possibly you are playing a different keyboard with each hand, so you are triggering two different phrases to control two different voices. Or it could be, like in my case, where I am playing a midi guitar and inputting 6+ channels at once, so I am triggering multiple separate phrases. Even in the case of a single channel triggering a single phrase, a person would need to match the timing of their drum sequencer. For live use it is very important, I think. It would not be necessary to have it per-phrase, just one single setting under the General tab.

Thanks for the answer, I understand. I'd say 'yes, it's possible with Nora', however I have to research it a bit more but there are great chances of success.

A question, imagine this situation: You want to play a 3 note chord but you have very bad timing with your fingers, so when you try to play it you play 2 notes in the beat 1, and 1 note in the beat 2. What should do Nora here?

a) Start playing the two notes broken chord in the beat 2, and start playing the three notes full chord in beat 3.
b) Do not play nothing until beat 3 and play the full chord.

I think it would be very useful with a possible "latch" mode, but I must think how they mutually relate with older settings (clock/modes).

NORA should play the 2 notes on beat 2 and add the 3rd note on beat 3 (option 'a')(NORA shouldn't have to read minds). But really the 'start next quarter note' should allow even a poor player to get all his notes pressed in time, that is one of it's useful features, it buffers the notes that were input off-time and then releases them with perfect timing. (It's extra helpful for a midi guitar, because the physical act of strumming enforces imperfect input timing, you just cannot strike all strings at the exact same time. But that is just my personal problem!)

I'm thinking a lot about this, and how 'Start at next beat' would relate with the potential 'latch' mode. I'll come back soon here, the next week, with a workflow scheme comparing both modes. Please, let me know what you think about them when I post it.

Just saw this video and .......... Well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs66hOEYnNM

Rajah wrote:Just saw this video and .......... Well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs66hOEYnNM
NORA is a couple of orders of magnitude beyond something this.. :wink:
"..What is simple, is simply seen.."

Rajah, what are you exactly missing?

squaredheads wrote:Rajah, what are you exactly missing?

There is much to love about this 'player'... But 6:05-9:53 in the video is pure inspiration for a Randomizer Engine.

Peace..

Edit... Seem like each element of the Randomized can be randomized individually... One have to wonder, what if we could randomize each element (Pitch, Slide, Density etc.) individually in Nora, what will it create?

Hello, this is my first post.

First I want to thank you for making such a good arpeggiator. There are a lot of functions in Nora that are becoming very important in my music.

One of the most important thing for me is the ability to use unusual time signatures (for example 5/4 with a 1/10 value in the snap parameter). Also, it is possible to change the time signature BETWEEN a phrase and another IN THE SAME track, which is great.

However I have a request for a change which would make this feature really usable : is it possible to have some kind of "time signature and snap setting memory" ? The problem I have is whenever I open a phrase for editing, the snap setting stays at the same value as the last phrase I opened. So for exemple, a phrase I first wrote in 5/4 suddenly appears as if written in 4/4, with notes in-between the grids, instead of right on the 5/4 grid.

This is really important for me, I hope it will be possible !...

thanks again for your hard work...

Nowadays you can randomize all these elements individually with the mutator: move any probabilty knob and click on Apply. I understand that it's still not perfect, but it's highly usable.

Anyways: I'm a bit busy and I didn't see the part of the video that you pointed me, I'll do it as soon as I finish of fixing a problem. The best way to request me something is telling me WHAT (with examples if need), WHY (why do you need it, where would you use it) and - low priority - HOW, how would you include it in the current setup without disturbing the workflow.

Return to “Squaredheads”