Waves Codex...Not So Bad

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Codex Wavetable Synth

I do not understand why you can not save Wavetables separately.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

PietW. wrote:I do not understand why you can not save Wavetables separately.
Actually saving custom wavetables with the patch could lead to cause less trouble than storing it at a different place.
Of course one advantage of storing them at a different place is that the patch files are smaller.

If you got the Codex wavetables stored as a WAV file it is still simple to use it in any patch you like by using the WAV import feature. The factory wavetables are stored as WAV files too but the yusually to not have the WAV file ending. I was able to get those usable as WAV files after renaming the files. That way i also found details about their file format which is 32-bit (float), 512 samples per wave and 64 waves in one table.
Those factory wavetables are found in a content folder installed with the plugin (not at the VST folder...).

In waldorf Nave custom wavetables are stored with the patches too while it is possible to export those as a wavetable file. Anyway they do not appear in the drop-down list of wavetables where only the factory wavetables are found.

Same also with some Tone2 plugins like e.g. Raybaster, Nemesis and where single cycles and samples ares stored wit hteh patch too while it i slaso possible to access those fro ma list there if stored at the correct place.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Robmobius wrote:
Apostate wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
Fleer wrote:Bought and sold it for $55.
Wow! That was a steal...
Yeah I would have jumped all over that, especially after having gotten into it over the past couple of days. I really like the oscs on Codex.
Yeah man... I think it sounds really good and really easy to program too. I think it got a lot of flak because everyone compared it to Serum, but after that dies down, there was a lot of praise creeping through KVR. :)
I've always liked it. Not sure I'd pay $200 for it... no. But for the introductory price I feel it's a great synth. Sure, it doesn't have nearly the mod options of Serum, but it's got a great "hardwarish" sound to it that's harder to get out of Serum. I also like the way the wavetable position can be automated and the formant feature. Also, sometimes it's just nice to sit down with a more simple instrument when you don't need a super complex sound. I've never heard anyone complain that the Microwave XT only has two LFOs.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Yeah man... I think it sounds really good and really easy to program too. I think it got a lot of flak because everyone compared it to Serum, but after that dies down, there was a lot of praise creeping through KVR. :)

I've always liked it. Not sure I'd pay $200 for it... no. But for the introductory price I feel it's a great synth. Sure, it doesn't have nearly the mod options of Serum, but it's got a great "hardwarish" sound to it that's harder to get out of Serum. I also like the way the wavetable position can be automated and the formant feature. Also, sometimes it's just nice to sit down with a more simple instrument when you don't need a super complex sound. I've never heard anyone complain that the Microwave XT only has two LFOs.
I'm with you! I just bought it for $71 US and I think that was a very fair price. I really love the oscillators on this, as well as the above. The "punch"/transient function is super cool as well, I suggested something like that for Nave and everyone gave me crap for it :evil:
Ha ha suck it!

Yeah man... I think it sounds really good and really easy to program too. I think it got a lot of flak because everyone compared it to Serum, but after that dies down, there was a lot of praise creeping through KVR. :)

I'm with you! I just bought it for $71 US and I think that was a very fair price. I really love the oscillators on this, as well as the above. The "punch"/transient function is super cool as well, I suggested something like that for Nave and everyone gave me crap for it :evil:
Ha ha suck it!

I agree that the factory presets on Codex sound better than Serum's, what bothers me is that there are so few commercial soundbanks for Codex, and probably never will be many. I got Codex for £35 secondhand, so for the presets alone I'm very pleased with it indeed! But $200 is ridiculous, they should bring it down to $49 and keep it there, then they'd sell loads.

For anyone that still wants to get it for a good price, Waves has a sales going on which started yesterday and will end today. They give you a $50.00 coupon and you can use it on top of the $99.00 sale they have on.

I done this yesterday and got Codex for the marvellous price of $49.00 in my currency that is £32.00 and an absolute bargain.

I have been playing around with it yesterday evening till late at night and I absolutely love it.

There are a lot of people comparing synths here and there, but at the end it comes down to the best workflow for you is and what suits YOU. I got a lot of synths and have lately just sold a lot of them because they didn't fit in my workflow, but someone else will find it useful for them. That is why I always say: It is not the equipment itself, it is what YOU do with it.

Keep Its Spinnin' and Enjoy Music!!!!

Is it a CPU hog? I'm sorry, I'm on vacation now so I can't test the demo.

szurcio wrote:Is it a CPU hog? I'm sorry, I'm on vacation now so I can't test the demo.
Does not seem to be a hog.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Codex is not so bad! It is a great synth ;)

After almost 6 days from buying it, I feel so happy that I did. I would have felt very sad if I missed the sale! For $50 it was a crazy bargain (with the voucher + discount). I think $99 can be a very reasonable price, but for $200 IMO it is too much.

I have seen also a comparison between 4 synths by 'Plugs Guru' I think his name. Although he tried to be unbiased but it was very clear for me he is favoring Serum (I understand why of course)! Anyway, there is a demo and everyone can judge for him/herself.

For me, what I really like about Codex is that it can sound warm and digital in a very pleasant way. It is easy to use with a very nice and smart design and almost unlimited possibilities and the cpu usage is very reasonable (not that much more than Massive really!).

Although it can do dubstep wobble/noise/monster things but I believe Serum is an excellent choice for that (it is the king actually) while Codex is more musical synth covers many genres easily and it is very inspiring indeed :D

So the sale is over?

Igro wrote:So the sale is over?
For Codex yes. But I guess it won't be long till another sale.

How much WUP?
VST Mappings for Bitwig
--Bitwig 5/ Live10 Suite/ Maschine/ HP X360 8Core--

I wasn't actually a big fan of wavetable synths, but Codex won me over.

It's hard to talk about something so subjective to personal opinion because that always seems to be a point of contention for some people if they don't agree with personal tastes. That's when arguments break out, which I don't want.

I liked Codex for it's Virtual Voltage technology, I think that's what it was called. It definitely brings something to the tonality of the synth without it being to thin or too harmonically rich, which can also be just as bad. It lives in that happy In between place.

I like the fine granularity artefacts that it produces scanning through those wavetables, reminds me of its digital origins in a sense. It adds texture. I like it's quick, up front interface and some of the sounds are quite inspiring too.

More often or not, with any synthesiser, sampled, analogue or otherwise, I always find myself messing with the sounds a bit to make them sweeter sounding and more appropriate for my applications. I mean, we all have a certain style and preference about us, right??

I checked out Serum, it was quite impressive. It has more in the way of flexibility, but I think it misses out in other spots, like the tonality. This is just a personal opinion, so please don't shoot me.

It does point out how when we compare synths or sounds or plugins it's all about subjective opinion. There's no right, no wrong. In this case I think Codex is just as usable as Serum, it has a lot going for it. What it comes down to is a matter of taste.

... and price tag.

You'd be a fool to pay standard price for anything from Waves, though. Just wait for the sales and pick it up for under $100. I certainly don't think that's overpriced. Still not as cheap as Serum, but Waves is an international company, they have a lot more in the way of overheads. I'm happy to pay the extra $20 or so difference to get the synthesiser I want, I imagine many would.

Today only (7/26/2015), Codex is 50% off:

$83.95 at AudioDeluxe
$89.10 at Waves with 10% coupon code G32Y7
$91.99 at WavesUniverse
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Return to “Instruments”