Get Wider Mixes Without Delay or Stereo Wideners

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,

in this video we'll talk about how we can get wider mixes without using Delays
or Stereo Wideners such as the S1 from Waves.

We'll use console emulators to achieve a warmer, wider sound without
making it abnormal and cause ear fatigue.

Watch in 1080p! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGIuMAZWRAQ

Paschalis I. wrote: Watch in 1080p! :)
How?

Click on the cog icon under the video window and select 1080p...

Ayorinde wrote:Click on the cog icon under the video window and select 1080p...
There's 360p only, do you have more on your side?

Passing Bye wrote:
There's auto or 360p only, do you have more on your side?
Click on the little arrow next to 360p and the other options should appear.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Passing Bye wrote:
Paschalis I. wrote: Watch in 1080p! :)
How?
Hi, just click the Play button and make it full screen.
Youtube will adjust it for you.

If not, while in full screen mode, you've got the option to change to HD by yourself :)

The non-linear summer, and also tools such as Slate's VCC, have always been too much of a black box for me. They do some funky programming to emulate crosstalk, distortion, harmonics, saturation, etc and while the effect can be sonically pleasing in some cases, I still like being able to control both mid and side channels coupled with delay to achieve a digital "widening" effect. Still, it's all good to attempt the above, but only if you have these plugins.

Nightpolymath wrote:The non-linear summer, and also tools such as Slate's VCC, have always been too much of a black box for me. They do some funky programming to emulate crosstalk, distortion, harmonics, saturation, etc and while the effect can be sonically pleasing in some cases, I still like being able to control both mid and side channels coupled with delay to achieve a digital "widening" effect. Still, it's all good to attempt the above, but only if you have these plugins.
Sure, I mostly agree :)

But delay is kinda felt/heard in the mix, while the console saturation opens up the correlation
without any extra effects and it's more subtle (at least to my ears).

It's wise to not ditch delays cause of this, but it's also nice to add some analog console warmth in our
daws and in any case we dislike what it does to our wideness, we can just hit Stereo as shown in the video and problem solved :D

That's why I like it so much, it gives you so many options.

Solved, too much text for scrolling
Last edited by Passing Bye on Wed May 27, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Passing Bye wrote:
Are you using HTML5 in Firefox? Try Flash.

Hm i see now you're using Chrome. Weird. Shows all resolutions here up to 1080 px.

chk071 wrote:
Passing Bye wrote:
Are you using HTML5 in Firefox? Try Flash.

Hm i see now you're using Chrome. Weird. Shows all resolutions here up to 1080 px.
Just tried Firefox, works now :hug:

works for me and I use Chrome

Keith99 wrote:works for me and I use Chrome
Yeah, it's me, I use Iron on Linux, there's whole thing to be done for flash and except embedded media everything was working fine, yeah, now I know why half of the videos don't have HD :lol:

Sorry for clogging this thread with my nonsense, but glad I did, because there was time I really got frustrated thinking "why aren't they making all their videos HD or at least when they explain smaller stuff" :lol:

I guess Iron doesn't have the proprietary parts needed to display H264 videos in HTML5, and that's why it lacks the higher resolutions. Happens here in Firefox with HTML5. Flash works fine though.

chk071 wrote:I guess Iron doesn't have the proprietary parts needed to display H264 videos in HTML5, and that's why it lacks the higher resolutions. Happens here in Firefox with HTML5. Flash works fine though.
That explains it :tu:

Return to “Production Techniques”