Brother Charles - Gospel Ship (70s Classic Christian Rock)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Gang,

This is the tenth and final track on my upcoming Gospel (blues-based) album: "The Gospel, Just a Little Bit Louder".

This one is a classic 70s Christian Rock song by Mylon LaFevre entitled: "Gospel Ship". You'll hear typical Brother Charles musical elements such as: crunchy, melodic guitar riffs, big Hammond tones, bouncy CP70 electric grand, and this time, a mildly overdriven Rick 4001 bass (courtesy of OrangeTree Samples) that's decently upfront in the mix.
*BTW, you can look forward to a review of the Evolution Rick bass in the not-too-distant future.

*HINT: The "Ladies" helping out with backing vocals are from L.A. They live in Realivox ville.

Here's the link, if you'd like to give the track a listen. :)

Brother Charles - Gospel Ship on Reverbnation
Last edited by Brother Charles on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

cool track! snare doesn't have a great presence, and can't hear any cymbals (are there any?). kick and toms sound more present. (sennheisser hd280 pro headphones, generic sound card chipset built into motherboard)

maybe lead vocals are a tad over the mix (listening on generic speakers built into monitor)?

ymmv

anyway, thanks for posting.

@Xiangqi

Thanks for your feedback. :)
Yes, lots of cymbals. I also use HD280 Pros. I need the vocals somewhat upfront, similar to the type of mix you'd hear on many Johnny Reid Recordings. Before, the complaints were that the vox were buried in the mix. Here, on monitors and headphones, the snare is strong, with lots of snap. Im parallel compressing. *Umdunno.

Any one else care to share their thoughts?
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles

Listening on Event TR6 monitors, the mix is fine. Two things : the hi-hat programming is sometimes unnatural (hear the fist 4 bars of hi-hat entering), and in the solo part, the hammond sound could be more bright.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

Thanks for the input. I've made a subtle high end increase to the Hammond, on the solo part. I also brought the cymbals up a wee bit as per Xiangqi's recommendation. However, I'm concerned about high end "splash". To prevent said "splashiness", I'm trying to keep an analogue ish vibe by using TB Reelbus on the master bus.I also have VTM here, but I find it a little too "HiFi" for this purpose.
stanlea wrote:Listening on Event TR6 monitors, the mix is fine. Two things : the hi-hat programming is sometimes unnatural (hear the fist 4 bars of hi-hat entering), and in the solo part, the hammond sound could be more bright.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles

It's a great piece of work. I liked the vocal performance, the guitars, piano and organ. I thought I didn't care too much for the sound of the snare when I first listened, but after 3 or 4 plays, I think it's good.

Good work :)

sounded very authentical, brother! good lead vocals ( I liked the high passages), also the realivox ladies are amazing!

Bless your heart, seismic1. Thanks, man. Thanks for listening. I really appreciate your feedback. The snare is a decidedly 70s tone - very tight. I'm using the fan-tab-u-lous RVB500 plate verb plugin by OverToneDSP on it. Personally, I really like the sound of the "black" kit in "Abbey Road 70s Drummer", which is what I'm using here.
seismic1 wrote:It's a great piece of work. I liked the vocal performance, the guitars, piano and organ. I thought I didn't care too much for the sound of the snare when I first listened, but after 3 or 4 plays, I think it's good.

Good work :)
Last edited by Brother Charles on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

TrekStar wrote:sounded very authentical, brother! good lead vocals ( I liked the high passages), also the realivox ladies are amazing!
Kool, thanks for commenting. I've never considered myself a great singer - not by a long shot, but I always wanted to be a singer. I mostly played lead (country) guitar back in my so-called "pro" days. tausenddank.

Return to “Music Cafe”