Windows 10 - It's Free. It's Easy. No Worries.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For what I know and read, you will be able to get an ISO (actually, you are already able to get it if you are subscribed to the Insider Preview), and will be able to install it on several machines, as long as they have Windows 7 or Windows 8 on them. No mention to a fresh installer, though, which means that you will probably need a different installer DVD for that (and will have to buy it, of course).
Fernando (FMR)

I think that limited time is one year. I'll leave it a few weeks then upgrade.
Sweet child in time...

Yeah I'm gonna wait a while to download it too, no doubt it will be a buggy mess when it first gets released.

aciddose wrote:Unless you have the size of your system disk sitting around unoccupied and never to be used, it isn't free, it's the cost for the storage of whatever size your system disk is!

Best plan: take a functional disk large enough to contain an image of your system disk. Copy the image to it. Install the upgrade and test it.

If you do not like it, use the image to write over your original disk, restoring it to where it was before.

Unless your system is over 500gb you're looking at $50 to $100. If you are, you can still find 3tb disks for $150 or less.
This except I'd probably just clone the system disk and swap it out if necessary.

d-s-m wrote:Yeah I'm gonna wait a while to download it too, no doubt it will be a buggy mess when it first gets released.
Why is that? :o

What i'm wondering is if Windows 7 or 8 drivers will be compatible with it. I guess it depends really, but planning to upgrade the Windows 7 Starter from my netbook too for fun, and because i can. :) Really rocks as Windows 7 Starter is already a slimmed down version of Home Premium, and getting Windows 10 Home is a nice bonus.

Because they are pushing the release date (it seems) to get it out in time for American back to school sales where many buy new PCs and computing devices... to the point where many states have a tax-free weekend on computers (and clothes/school supplies).

I don't think they have enough time to fully work out all of the (known) bugs.. Smarter to wait a couple months at least and wait for more patching imo.

Oh, and thank you 'Passing Bye' for that link to GS -- neat they actually have a Microsoft employee discussing Win10 in the context of music development/MIDI/Latency/DAWs and the sort.

d-s-m wrote:Yeah I'm gonna wait a while to download it too, no doubt it will be a buggy mess when it first gets released.
That's the way to go, but for the record, it's not mess even now in beta, something should go terribly wrong to suddenly become one :tu:
chk071 wrote: What i'm wondering is if Windows 7 or 8 drivers will be compatible with.
On my end 8/8.1 ones are :tu:
VitaminD wrote: Oh, and thank you 'Passing Bye' for that link to GS -- neat they actually have a Microsoft employee discussing Win10 in the context of music development/MIDI/Latency/DAWs and the sort.
Really neat, awesome thread :tu:

Passing Bye wrote:
That's the way to go, but for the record, it's not mess even now in beta, something should go terribly wrong to suddenly become one :tu:
I subscribe to that. Actually the thing that gave me more headaches was the Start Menu (wasn't even launching in the release prior to 10122, which is the latest I installed. It is now working again, but I read some reports of users of that release still complaing). I plan to install 10130 in the next few days.
Fernando (FMR)

Passing Bye wrote:
chk071 wrote: What i'm wondering is if Windows 7 or 8 drivers will be compatible with.
On my end 8/8.1 ones are :tu:
Thanks. Guess i'll just have to test it. Samsung unfortunately didn't provide drivers for Windows 8/8.1 for the netbook (typical, no driver support for more than 2 year old devices which might have not sold massively...), so in case anything is not supported via Windows Update, i guess i have to test the Windows 7 drivers.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh, that's nice, thanks for the info. Will do that then.

fmr wrote:For what I know and read, you will be able to get an ISO (actually, you are already able to get it if you are subscribed to the Insider Preview), and will be able to install it on several machines, as long as they have Windows 7 or Windows 8 on them. No mention to a fresh installer, though, which means that you will probably need a different installer DVD for that (and will have to buy it, of course).
Where did you read that the official free release would be available on Microsoft provided ISO? That would be fantastic.

I am confused though on what you mean by fresh installer.. the ISO should be unpackable/burnable to DVD and then installed from that. That, I thought, was the point of having the ISO. So you can reinstall (freshly) at any time.

Not liking the suggestion that firewire might not be supported. It might be a dying technology, but my M-Audio ProjectMix is still perfectly viable and I'm not ready to replace it anytime soon!

I'll wait and see how firewire support pans out before deciding whether to upgrade from 8.1.

After checking for compatibility it says: "AMD Radeon HD 7540D - there will be issues with the display" .-(

So only after installing W10 i will know if this are just some display errors or if the screen will stay black :-)

VitaminD wrote:
fmr wrote:For what I know and read, you will be able to get an ISO (actually, you are already able to get it if you are subscribed to the Insider Preview), and will be able to install it on several machines, as long as they have Windows 7 or Windows 8 on them. No mention to a fresh installer, though, which means that you will probably need a different installer DVD for that (and will have to buy it, of course).
Where did you read that the official free release would be available on Microsoft provided ISO? That would be fantastic.

I am confused though on what you mean by fresh installer.. the ISO should be unpackable/burnable to DVD and then installed from that. That, I thought, was the point of having the ISO. So you can reinstall (freshly) at any time.
The release on July 29th is supposed to be a FREE upgrade for owners of Windows 7 and/or Windows 8/8.1 only, therefore, I presume it will demand a pre-installed version of either of these on the machine it will install the new system (or at least a media to check we have one of those - otherwise Windows would be free for everybody, right?

By fresh installer I mean a DVD that will install the OS on a new and clean system, without checking for anything previously. That will have to be bought, AFAIK.

Regarding the DVD ISOs, i think I read that on several blogs and discussion groups, but I don't exactly remember where anymore. But since there have been ISOs of the majority of preview releases, I think we can safely presume an ISO for the final version will also be available. When I upgraded to Windows 8.1, I remember I was offered the possibility to install as a download and also to create an ISO to burn. No reason for them to change this now.
Last edited by fmr on Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”