One to rule them all

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm thinking about getting Komplete 10. Doing this will result in at least a stopgap measure for acquiring multiple mastering and track plugins.

Currently I have Sonar X3 and K8 Standard and the Comps, EQs and Reverbs associated with them.

I 'm interested in u=he Presswerk, Satin and ValhallaRoom for my comp, tape saturation and reverb plugs but still wondering what would be the "end-all" plugs for all of the track and mastering applications.
Compression, Tape Saturation, EQ, Reverb, Delay etc.

I really don't want to have multiple plugs and would rather have one really great plug for each application.

Please direct me!
OC

Consider Melda ($) or Fabfilter ($$$). Get into one developer 'headspace' to minimize distraction.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Yep, that's what I did. Was slowly collecting all kinds of crap, sold all of it and got (almost) everything Fabfilter.
In terms of reverbs, you can't go wrong with Valhalla, but if you get K10U, then you get some nice reverbs and you might not need another reverb as much. Although VRoom has a different character than the NI ones (VintageVerb is more like those).
I also doubt you'd need another compressor next to the ones provided in K10U. Delays, I believe no regular ones are included in Ultimate, although I do hope you got Replika as a freebee, it's one of the best out there (imho of course).
Now, what's not included in K10U is a decent limiter and a graphical EQ - as you would have guessed, I highly recommend Fabfilter, but there are many options of course. ... And while you at it, check FF Saturn, also heavenlish.

EDIT: no opinion here on tapesims... I have no use for them so can't really comment on that.

Good broad-use toolkit-type plugins to investigate:
Compression: probably DMG's COMPassion (i have) or u-he's presswerk (i'm interested in).
Tape Saturation: u-he Satin (love this plug)
EQ: DMG's EQuilibrium.
Reverb: for me, i'm happy with 2c's Aether, but there are tons of other plugs that may suit one's taste better.
Delay: haven't really found one that rules them all for me yet...
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

Thanks to all who replied.
I've been wading through a lot of forum posts from the past but mainly sought a current feeling since times change.
I suppose I'm looking at Fabfilter, DMG and Alloy/Ozone.
For reverb, I'm pulled toward Valhalla Room and Valhalla VintageVerb although the ArtsAcoustic reverb sounds great to me as well.
I downloaded Aether a while back and liked it too. So many choices. Currently I'm using NI Reflektor for my verb.
NI Replika is great for delay and I probably won't look any further for that application.
Again, thanks!

It really boils down to what sounds good to you and what you enjoy working with, but I'm all too familiar with similar searches :)
ArtsAcoustic, I know they're great, but their development is a bit slow at best, that might be one thing to consider. Also, you might want to wait with a reverb to see how you like the two included in K10U. But reverbs are all different, that makes it kinda hard to pin it down to one or two.
Anyway, good luck!

I don't have Komplete, but it looks, well, complete. If you get K10, you probably won't need any other third party plugins unless there's a very specific sound or feature that the K10 plugins just can't provide.

As for third party plugins, aside from EchoBoy there really isn't "one to rule them all." Also, I like having a variety of flavors, so the notion of reducing my plugin folder doesn't make much sense to me unless there are some plugins I'm just not using at all. That being said, the following are some common "go-tos":

Klanghelm SDRR and DC8C cover roughly 80% of my mixing needs (though admittedly, I'm more of a composer than a mix engineer). Those plugins are cheap, but extremely powerful. I don't find them too difficult to learn either, despite their depth. Presswerk is a good alternative to DC8C.

Satin is terrific, but a cheaper alternative is ToneBoosters Reelbus. The less cpu-intensive (and featured) Ferox tape sim is part of the TB TrackEssentials bundle, which also has a great EQ for surgery (though your DAW EQ is probably fine for this).

Valhalla can cover your reverb needs with one or two plugins, but there are plenty of other great reverbs as well. VintageVerb fits most of my work, and I also use Audio Damage Eos for some synths.

EDIT: One area where K10 might be lacking is creative effects... D16, SoundToys, and FabFilter have good stuff for this.

Guitar Rig 5 and Reaktor are pretty strong in creative effects especially Reaktor with unlimited number of "plugins"

EQ: DMG Equilibrium
Delay: SoundToys EchoBoy
Compressor: Klanghelm DC8C 2
Saturation/Distortion: FabFilter Saturn

poshook wrote:Guitar Rig 5 and Reaktor are pretty strong in creative effects especially Reaktor with unlimited number of "plugins"
Veering OT but I've noticed a number of times I've found a Reaktor ensemble that replaces a standalone plugin (I'm thinking of more creative, specialty effects, something like a tuned 'piano-like' reverb). Has saved me a fortune. :)

I don't know what version of Sonar X3 you have but if yours has the ProChannel included then you already have top notch EQ, Comp and Saturation modules at your disposal :D

For reverb I would go Valhalla, and delay.. uhhmm you could go Valhalla too with UberMod, which is very versatile or Sonic Charge Echobode, sounds amazing too.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

For Reverb I would recommend UVI Sparkverb which is very flexible and creative and fits to any genre. On top af that it sounds good with neglible CPU load.
For EQ i would say DDMF IIEQ Pro or TBoosters EQ. They sound and work fabulous. Or check the Waves now with the sale for RenEQ which is rather old but still one of the best.
Compressor: Klanghelm DC8C or PSP OldtimerME - both cheep, flexible, top notch sound

Komplete? Yes. I think Best value/cost out there.

Return to “Effects”