Modal Electronics Synths

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some nice new gear here, just seen the post on the VSE forum:

EXPENSIVE!

Website Link: http://www.modalelectronics.com/#008

008 provides eight discrete voices of polyphony with an uncompromising analogue architecture utilising the highest grade components throughout
Two 100% analogue VCO’s per voice with two sub oscillators, providing sawtooth, triangle, square with PWM and noise. Each of the waveforms can be blended together to provide completely new complex wave shapes
Innovative and extremely flexible 16 multi-mode filter, consisting of traditional modes such as low-pass, band-pass and high-pass as well as more unusual notch, phase and combination modes.
Filter overdrive enables the sound to be driven to sonic extremes
A range of classic analogue polysynth features such as oscillator and filter FM bringing amazing sonic power
Two LFO’s, both capable of reaching audio rates with multiple wave shapes and midi sync
11 modulation sources with unlimited destinations. Each destination can be set it’s own unique depth, a super smooth sample rate of 10kHz and all accessible from the front panel – no menu diving
008 features a range of sequencing options – a built in 2 Track, 12 row, 32 step sequencer with 16 dedicated step time editing knobs on the front panel and MIDI sync capabilities. Sequences can also be transposed dynamically while running
A very highly featured arpeggiator with a wide range of different modes, including ‘hold’ mode, enabling arpeggiator-based sequences to be created
The Modal Electronics Animator, which enables any control parameter on the 008 to be sequenced, enabling very complex filter transisitions, wave form changes and modulation matrix changes to be sequenced
Ethernet port to connect your 008 to your network and enable updates via the internet (no more midi sysex dumps) and access to the Modal Electronics cloud features
Two part multi-timbral (bi timbral) allowing splits across the keyboard or stacks to create amazingly complex sounds
Superb UI, a great departure from the norm of synthesisers, featuring a very high quality 4.3″ screen with wide viewing angle, display is context sensitive where the control parameters of any control knob that is touched by the user, is immediately displayed
Eight ‘quick recall banks’ are accessible directly from the front panel, enabling performing musicians to get rid of their set sheets and build set lists of presets, sequences and animations, all quickly accessible from dedicated front panel buttons. Up to ten banks of quick recalls can be created, making live performance a doddle
Ultra fast (1ms) VCF and VCA envelope generators. VCF-EG is one of the 11 modulation sources that can be freely assigned to any parameter by it’s own unique amount
Four Key Modes – Polyphonic, Monophonic, Unison and Stack
Very high quality construction, uses a premium FATAR semi-weighted five octave key mechanism with aftertouch
All voice control parameters are accessible from a well designed and intuitive front panel, that follows a traditional synthesiser work flow
Combined XLR/TRS sockets for balanced / unbalanced outputs. Further, each of the eight outputs can be brought out individually via a dedicated d-sub socket.
Optional Digital Output board providing multi voice outputs over USB (Class Compliant) with FX available Q2 2015.
Two audio inputs enabling audio processing from the VCF onwards plus external MIDI in and out
XY joystick and Sustain and Expression pedal inputs for performance controls – any control parameter can be assigned to any joystick axis (X+, X-, Y+, Y-) by pressing the dedicated front panel selector button

002 provides twelve discrete voices of polyphony with full multi-timbrality if desired
Two oscillators per voice with two sub oscillators, which can be switched from being either traditional square wave to having the same waveform as the main oscillator – in effect making four oscillators per voice
Analogue / digital hybrid architecture uses NCOs for very high resolution, and very stable oscillators. Over 50 different waveforms, ranging from classic analogue sounds to more unique digital shapes
Modal Electronics designed 24dB per octave four pole transistor ladder filter, with some very unusual morphing characteristics or ‘polesweeping’, enabling transition from four pole through bandpass to one pole 6db per octave, or anywhere in between
Two LFO’s, one per voice and one global
Extensive modulation options, all accessed directly from the front panel – no menu options!
002 features a range of sequencing options – a built in 12 Track, 12 row, 32 step sequencer with 16 dedicated step time editing knobs on the front panel and MIDI sync capabilities. Sequences can also be transposed dynamically while running
A very highly featured arpeggiator with a wide range of different modes, including ‘hold’ mode, enabling arpeggiator-based sequences to be created
The Modal Electronics Animator, which enables any control parameter on the 002 to be sequenced, enabling very complex filter transisitions, wave form changes and modulation matrix changes to be sequenced
Ethernet port to connect your 002 to your network and enable updates via the internet (no more midi sysex dumps) and access to the Modal Electronics cloud features
Superb UI, a great departure from the norm of synthesisers, featuring a very high quality 4.3″ screen with wide viewing angle, display is context sensitive where the control parameters of any control knob that is touched by the user, is immediately displayed
Twelve ‘quick recall banks’ are accessible directly from the front panel, enabling performing musicians to get rid of their set sheets and build set lists of presets, sequences and animations, all quickly accessible from dedicated front panel buttons. Up to ten banks of quick recalls can be created, making live performance a doddle
VCF and VCA envelope generators
Very high quality construction, uses a premium FATAR semi-weighted five octave key mechanism with aftertouch
All voice control parameters are accessible from a well designed and intuitive front panel, that follows a traditional synthesiser work flow
Pure analogue signal path from the oscillators onwards, no digital conversion.
Combined XLR/TRS sockets for balanced / unbalanced outputs. Further, each of the twelve outputs can be brought out individually via a dedicated d-sub socket.
Optional Digital Output board providing multi voice outputs over USB (Class Compliant) with FX available Q2 2015.
Two audio inputs enabling audio processing from the VCF onwards plus external MIDI in and out
XY joystick and Sustain and Expression pedal inputs for performance controls – any control parameter can be assigned to any joystick axis (X+, X-, Y+, Y-) by pressing the dedicated front panel selector button

Modal 001 is a 2 voice duo phonic and bi timbral synthesiser utilising the same voice architecture as it’s bigger brother 002
Two oscillators per voice with two sub oscillators, which can be switched from being either traditional square wave to having the same waveform as the main oscillator – in effect making four oscillators per voice
Analogue / digital hybrid architecture uses NCOs for very high resolution, and very stable oscillators. Over 50 different waveforms, ranging from classic analogue sounds to more unique digital shapes
Modal Electronics designed 24dB per octave four pole transistor ladder filter, with some very unusual morphing characteristics or ‘polesweeping’, enabling transition from four pole through bandpass to one pole 6db per octave, or anywhere in between
Extensive modulation options
001 features a range of sequencing options – a built in 2 Track, 12 row, 32 step sequencer with MIDI sync capabilities. Sequences can also be transposed dynamically while running
The Modal Electronics Animator, which enables any control parameter on the 001 to be sequenced, enabling very complex filter transisitions, wave form changes and modulation matrix changes to be sequenced
Ethernet port to connect your 001 to your network and enable updates via the internet (no more midi sysex dumps) and access to the Modal Electronics cloud features
6 ‘quick recall banks’ are accessible directly from the front panel, enabling performing musicians to get rid of their set sheets and build set lists of presets, sequences and animations, all quickly accessible from dedicated front panel buttons. Up to ten banks of quick recalls can be created, making live performance a doddle
Most voice control parameters are accessible from a well designed and intuitive front panel, that follows a traditional synthesiser work flow
4 CV inputs and 4 CV outputs
XY joystick for performance controls – any control parameter can be assigned to any joystick axis (X+, X-, Y+, Y-)

002R provides either eight or twelve discrete voices of polyphony with full multi-timbrality if desired
Extensive modulation options
002R features a range of sequencing options – a built in 12 Track, 12 row, 32 step sequencer with MIDI sync capabilities. Sequences can also be transposed dynamically while running
The Modal Electronics Animator, which enables any control parameter on the 002 to be sequenced, enabling very complex filter transisitions, wave form changes and modulation matrix changes to be sequenced
Ethernet port to connect your 002R to your network and enable updates via the internet (no more midi sysex dumps) and access to the Modal Electronics cloud features
Superb UI, a great departure from the norm of synthesisers, featuring a very high quality 4.3″ screen with wide viewing angle
12 ‘quick recall banks’ are accessible directly from the front panel, enabling performing musicians to get rid of their set sheets and build set lists of presets, sequences and animations, all quickly accessible from dedicated front panel buttons. Up to ten banks of quick recalls can be created, making live performance a doddle
Voice control parameters are easily accessible using the Modal Quick Navigate dials to quickly control page, parameter and value. These dials are also user assignable to single or multiple parameters to create complex macro knobs.
The power of 002R becomes really apparent when used with the Modal Web Interface, no need for a plugin, use any HTML5 compatible web browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox etc.) on any platform that supports a browser – laptop, desktop, tablet or phone! for full control and editing of all of 002R’s functions
Fits into a 3U 19″ audio rack

The filter modes of the 008 look close to a Oberheim Matrix-12 which is cool of course. I never used a real Matrix-12 but got the Arturia emulation here. Also the way how that display looks is somehow close to that in the Arturia Matrix-12 emulation (the graphics that appear for selecting the mod sources or destinations).

Also some other parts of the 008 like the keypad or the buttons remind me of a Matrix-12.

Overall the synth looks awesome IMO, hope it also sounds as good as it looks.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Very nice indeed but these are rich mens toys, apparently the P002 is over $5k according to someone over at VSE. The black P008 would cost a small fortune.

Oscillator sync or GTFO. :hihi:

The Animator feature sounds good though - wavesequencing enable! Why am I looking at this though, I know I'll never afford it.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Not really a fan of that knob layout. Too cute by half and just takes up far more depth than it would otherwise.

Sendy wrote:Oscillator sync or GTFO. :hihi:
008 has it. :)

While I quite like their concept of combining best of hardware (analog) with best of software, I am not sure about the HTML5 control surface, especially for the rack modules. Not that I will buy their synths, but let's say the company goes bankrupt and are not able to continue development, who guarantees that the web GUI will still work with the browsers in a few years?
Let's just hope they also have a full MIDI implementation, that will always work.
And what with synths now being web-controlled and connected to the Internet and the "cloud" I guess we're seeing the first CVE entries and security updates for synthies soon... ;)

Also, what about DAW integration? Do they cover that, I didn't see?
I mean, we have 2015 and synths connected to the cloud, but HW DAW integration is for most parts on the level as in the nineties, or even worse...

That 008 looks impressive...

Sendy wrote:Oscillator sync or GTFO.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

The 008 must be close now! Last I heard was July shipping. Wonder if that is still the expectation?

pdxindy wrote:The 008 must be close now! Last I heard was July shipping. Wonder if that is still the expectation?
Someone on GS said they heard from Modal that they were set to ship in July... which I find to be odd because there still is not a proper demo track. Of course, if there were, I personally would not be able to buy one, but isn't it weird they haven't released demo tracks yet?

One thing I will do is buy a .002 rack when they're available. I was really on the fence about a hybrid, but I went with the Prophet 12. While I have grown to really like the 12, I can't help but wonder if the .002 might be better for me.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

rob_lee wrote:Very nice indeed but these are rich mens toys, apparently the P002 is over $5k according to someone over at VSE. The black P008 would cost a small fortune.
So you'll be getting one of each then? :hihi:
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

zerocrossing wrote:
pdxindy wrote:The 008 must be close now! Last I heard was July shipping. Wonder if that is still the expectation?
Someone on GS said they heard from Modal that they were set to ship in July... which I find to be odd because there still is not a proper demo track. Of course, if there were, I personally would not be able to buy one, but isn't it weird they haven't released demo tracks yet?

One thing I will do is buy a .002 rack when they're available. I was really on the fence about a hybrid, but I went with the Prophet 12. While I have grown to really like the 12, I can't help but wonder if the .002 might be better for me.
For all I know, they may have the first lot already accounted for so there is no need to try to sell them beforehand.

Would you rather have the 002 or the 008?

EvilDragon wrote:
Sendy wrote:Oscillator sync or GTFO. :hihi:
008 has it. :)
No mention of it that I can see anywhere. The only mention of "sync" is LFOs with MIDI sync.

For $5,500 US dollars, I would expect synchronizable oscillators. No ring modulator either. No wave shaper stuff. Nothing but the most basic basics. Other than the "animator" sequencer which could be useful for some nice smooth transitions, it looks like a very basic synth, each voice has two oscillators with a frequency divider, and a multi-mode filter. Frequency modulation (linear? exponential?) available. That's it. The non-synth-related features like build quality (good Fatar keyboard), interface (which seems too odd to me), XY joystick, arpeggiator, may be nice. Maybe I would have considered buying it for them if I had money to throw.

If I had about $5,500 to throw.. a Studio Electronics CODE 8 would be SO much more thrilling, with features I could really use and great sound.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”