Kick vs. Big Kick vs. Bazzism ??

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I usually design my kicks in Cableguys Curve and you can easily get that result but then listening more carefully I have probably understood the kind of sound you want to achieve and I remembered the type of effect that can do this ,Time ago I wanted to get a similar result trying to recreate the Justice kick drum.

:wink: look here http://kilohearts.com/products/disperser

Passing Bye wrote:
Try putting Logic's Phaser on the kick, without feedback and lfo's, 50/50 lfo mix, play with floor&ceiling, order, tick "warmth" :tu:

I think click is really processed here, if you have some multiband distortion or something, try that :tu:
Sim.Sky wrote: using logic x, so win/vst is not an option unfortunately :?
You have Ultrabeat which is nice for trance kicks too :tu:
never thought of the phaser trick, but will definitely give it a try - thanks! :tu: and yeah, ultrabeat... i guess that it is in fact a quite powerful tool, but i just don't like to work with it - the look, the feel, the work flow... i know that's not a very positive way of thinking :oops: maybe i'll give it another chance some time ;)
man, that's sick! :hyper: :o i've seen this plugin before here and there, but never even thought that it's capable of such terrific effects! might be one of the best plugin discoveries i've had in a while - thank you :tu:
another one that i knew before, but maybe underestimated in this regard - never tried it on a kick, though i've seen it rock on synths and basses - thanks! :)

Sim.Sky wrote:and yeah, ultrabeat... i guess that it is in fact a quite powerful tool, but i just don't like to work with it - the look, the feel, the work flow...
I know, freaking thing takes up almost whole screen, but try to get to envelopes right in that tiny window, zooming nonetheless :help: :bang:

Here's another tool for kicks. Haven't tried it myself.

Sasquatch Kick Machine:

http://www.bozdigitallabs.com/product/s ... k-machine/

+1 for Metrum. It may be pricey, but the sounds that thing makes are earth shattering.

Taifunk wrote:in my opinion for sure all three are different but it's true basically do the same thing between those three according to my personal taste for sure I prefer Bazzism , when it comes to commercial plugin, There are also Eks Pro and Kick R and according to my personal ranking list would be this:
1 Kick R I tried yesterday and added to my wish list
2 Eks pro
3 Bazzism

4 Big Kick
--Kick is out because there is no demo I never buy again stuff without demo because bad experiences

if you're trying to make a choice you should follow your taste :)

I must say Bazzism seems to have a bigger bottom end to it by listening to the demos. Not sure if this is true. Both Kick R and Bazzism seem great for the price. I'm going to have to try these out.

Listening to the Darren Porter track earlier posted here and the kick seems like it is pretty "clean" as in basicly a sine sweep and a bit of distortion.
You could do that with KickR, just turn down thump-volume and noise-volume. The key to trance-kicks are setting start pitch rather high and pitch speed rather quick. "high" in KickR settings would be half way up or a little bit more, use "dist 2" to get extra punch in the kick without giving it too much gritty distorted sound ,be rather mild on the dist on like a quarter way or so. There you should have a good start on a punchy trance-kick as a base point to tweak from.
KickR demo is free to download from http://www.gudaaudio.com/downloadProduct.php

I'm the developer of KickR so obvious bias and so on... While developing KickR I have tweaked a lot of thoose trance kicks so it is for sure possible.
David Guda gudaaudio.com

davidguda wrote:Listening to the Darren Porter track earlier posted here and the kick seems like it is pretty "clean" as in basicly a sine sweep and a bit of distortion.
You could do that with KickR, just turn down thump-volume and noise-volume. The key to trance-kicks are setting start pitch rather high and pitch speed rather quick. "high" in KickR settings would be half way up or a little bit more, use "dist 2" to get extra punch in the kick without giving it too much gritty distorted sound ,be rather mild on the dist on like a quarter way or so. There you should have a good start on a punchy trance-kick as a base point to tweak from.
KickR demo is free to download from http://www.gudaaudio.com/downloadProduct.php

I'm the developer of KickR so obvious bias and so on... While developing KickR I have tweaked a lot of thoose trance kicks so it is for sure possible.
thanks for the advice, will give it a go :tu: and i don't mind the bias thing at all - in fact, i really appreciate that you share your insights with us :)

no prob, let me knowif you manage to get a good kick frrom it. I don't have the stuff here to test it myself right now but might be able to do a tweak this evening and make nice trance kick and post a screenshot of the settings.
David Guda gudaaudio.com

Bazzism relies only on synthesis when BigKick uses synthesis and samples. You can of course use only synthesis with BK but the full power comes with layering somekind of hit with synthesized bot end ;) It also has drag&frop if you want to use sample etc etc. BigKick is the most powerful of those.

Though.. If you want a kick machine based on pure synthesis, my points go to bazzism.

I prefer the kick 100% synthesized and Bazzism is very nice for this ,I think it was the first I've tried but I never bought because there is no snap function in the envelope editor (I am obsessed with precision) and also because I was not particularly impressed..I have also a serious TR addiction and Eks pro for this type of kick is my favorite but I did not buy for that reason and because the noise generator is free run ..I tried all that went out and no one hit me also for the very high prices of some then ,I forgot all and gave up but if I have to make a choice between all the ones according to my personal taste now I would choose for sure KickR ,I tried it and I was impressed really a full great tool at fair price and I hope one day David will do a complete drum synth. :)

would be interesting to know why you did choose KickR over Bazzism, since you state you are obsessed with precision and KickR doesn't have an envelope.

don't wanna say anything bad about KickR seriously, just would like to know how you compensate this.

The envelope in KickR is in practice a 1-pole lowpass filter and the frequence response could be seen as an impulse response but controlling frequency instead of amplitude. Makes sense? :) "pitch speed" is basicly just cut off setting for that filter. It is probably one of the least complex part of KickR, most time spent there were tweaking values that made sense. After programming synths and stuff for a while everything becomes a filter ;)

About making full drum rack synth, I have thought about it but I'm not sure how I would go about making cymbals and hihats. I don't know a way of synthesizing that to sound good. I have a couple of ideas that as far as I know never have been tested but having an idea and take the time to actually try it out is not the same thing :)

So far KickR is not finished yet, I have more up the sleeve for upcoming versions. A lot of code is already in place for it in 1.2 already but just not shown in the GUI.
David Guda gudaaudio.com

Return to “Instruments”