Plugin Boutique will release late in July Carbon Electra Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Carbon Electra is a powerful and intuitive synth built by producers, for producers. It’s a four-oscillator subtractive synth with a modern feature set.

It has been developed as an advanced learning tool whilst also being a powerful and easy to program synth. It is based on vintage analogue routing and features flexible modulation options including an editable stepper and note performer. The graphical displays act as a comprehensive information tool and as an accurate guide to each parameter change. Best of all, it sounds incredible.

Powerful synth engine that is easy to learn and use with no hidden menus.
4 Analog style syncable oscillators with adjustable pulse width, frequency modulation and multiple wave types including pitchable noise.
Informative physics based graphic displays with comprehensive info pane.
6 filter types including powerful vocal filter with filter drive and saturation.
Simple, usable and useful FX section, like having a bunch of great guitar pedals.
Editable step editor that can be assigned to pitch, volume or cut-off independently or simultaneously, with various wave types and edit mode allowing node creation and line curves.
Over 600 factory and artist presets covering sequences, chords, motions, bass, leads, keys, pads and effects.
Ability to run the amp section “too hot” into the built in optional limiter at the main output, creating a modern hyper-compressed sound.
Super flexible unison control ranging from subtle warmth to massive super saw or super square sound.
Multiple stereo width parameters allowing high precision control of the stereo field.

Carbon Electra for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) will be available late July 2015 for $99 USD / £59 GBP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ5IWc7ZyXY
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

Well, I guess I'm going to be the first one to put in my 2 cents based on a very short demo, which is probably not fair in the first place.

There is no question that the sound is of good to excellent quality depending on how picky you are. The layout is certainly easy to navigate through. Probably all synths should be laid out like this and nobody would be complaining about GUIs. Of course this then limits the synth somewhat. Certainly modular and semi modular synths can't limit themselves like this and if you want more modulation options and FX, well, there's no where else to put them on one screen without really cramping things.

All that aside, after hearing the demo and conceding that this is a fine sounding instrument, I found myself saying, "Okay." I didn't go "Wow! I have to get this."

Am I jaded? Have I just seen too much and purchased too many synths to be impressed? I don't know. Just the other day I got Wavemapper 2 because I totally fell in love with what that synth can do.

Granted, we're comparing apples to oranges here. And maybe I've simply outgrown basic VA synths. I haven't bought one of those in ages.

I do love the vocal filter. It's just not enough to make me open up my wallet.

But I will say this much. This is an AMAZING first synth. If I was just starting out today and heard this thing, I know that there is no doubt I would have purchased it. The whole concept is very well executed.

It's just too little, too late for a very jaded synthesist.

Looking forward to trying a demo!

Carbon Electra. Lol!!! That is just too cute. I really love the visual of this synth. Really has it's own place in the market, and stands out in the crowd. Great job Mr. Carbone!

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

wagtunes wrote:I found myself saying, "Okay." I didn't go "Wow! I have to get this.
That's what I thought too. The CZ emulation at least was something that filled a gap in market but this is just too boring even if it sounds good. Why should I get this if I already have ZTA2+, Largo and couple of other synths that can easily pull off all that. It kind of reminds me of Waves Element that is a good synth in its own but just completely pointless for everyone with a couple of synths already.
No signature here!

Last edited by samsam on Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

In what ballpark is cpu usage of this one? Sylenth1/Hive?
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Seems Mr Carbone has been using this for a while in tutorials. Certainly looks slick since the makeover and the GUI looks well laid out. I expect this will be great for dialling in quick EDM presets.

I wasn't blown away by the sound. Will check out the demo when available, expect it will need attractive pricing or something to differentiate with other VA options.

Having Electra in the name seems an odd call. :?
Last edited by db3 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

What's next? Gold Massive? Silver Sylenth?

robotmonkey wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I found myself saying, "Okay." I didn't go "Wow! I have to get this.
That's what I thought too. The CZ emulation at least was something that filled a gap in market but this is just too boring even if it sounds good. Why should I get this if I already have ZTA2+, Largo and couple of other synths that can easily pull off all that. It kind of reminds me of Waves Element that is a good synth in its own but just completely pointless for everyone with a couple of synths already.
Thought the same. With this price it's a no deal for me, since I already have Hive, Sylenth, Zeta, Massive and so on. But even cheaper, I don't think I'd buy it. Nothing that would fill a gap.

If you're maybe new to the game with VAs... But I guess most of the rookies will go for the popular "brands", if they have to pay anyway 100 bucks.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

deft_bonz wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:
Thought the same. With this price it's a no deal for me, since I already have Hive, Sylenth, Zeta, Massive and so on. But even cheaper, I don't think I'd buy it. Nothing that would fill a gap.

If you're maybe new to the game with VAs... But I guess most of the rookies will go for the popular "brands", if they have to pay anyway 100 bucks.
I didn't touch on the price but that's another thing. Let's see what I've gotten for under $100. Some of these may have been on sale.

Synthmaster - $60
ACE - $85
Discovery Pro - $95
Korg Legacy Collection - $100
MUX Modular - $61
KarmaFX Modular - $72
Sonic Acadamy ANA - $80
MPowersynth - $88
Waves Element - $76
Harmor - $60
Z3ta+2 - $50

There are only 3 synths in that list that I'd say are outshined by this synth and that's ACE, Element and ANA. But they'e all $15 to $25 less in price.

This synth would have to sell for no more than $79 to put it in the same ballpark as comparable synths. Now $20 may not seem like much, but to a lot of people, when there are less expensive choices that do more, it is.

Like I said, it's a fine sounding synth. It just doesn't wow me and certainly not for that price.

ACE "outshined" ???

That's fighting talk ... ;)

lnikj wrote:ACE "outshined" ???

That's fighting talk ... ;)
Here is why I say that. As a modular (and I use that term loosely) it is very limited. The "any cable everywhere" structure is more gimmick than real substance. Bazille...that's a real modular synth.

Sound wise, it has only 2 OSC as compared to 4 for Carbon. It has only saw, square and pulse waves. Feature wise, in general, Carbon has more.

ACE was my 2nd synth (Synthmaster being my first) I bought Zebra 2 shortly after and Bazille most recently. I also own Tyrell N6, which is free. I love U-he synths. But I hardly ever bring out ACE. It just doesn't give me anything that I can't get from one of their other synths and much better. I would not buy ACE today. There is no need for it. At the time, I was new and I thought i would get a lot out of it. For a time I did. Now, I honestly just don't need it anymore.

That's what Carbon Electra does for me except it can at least do more than ACE can do, at least sound wise.

Today, I would not get either synth. But if they were the only two synths in the world to choose from I'd get Carbon Electra because it does more. I can get more different kinds of sounds out of it just because of the filter alone.

That is why I say that ACE is outshined by Carbon Electra.

Well, ACE sounds incredible, we'll have to wait and see how this new thing performs when it comes out (bit hard to say without demoing eh? Oh yeah... that's right...)

BDeep wrote:Well, ACE sounds incredible, we'll have to wait and see how this new thing performs when it comes out (bit hard to say without demoing eh? Oh yeah... that's right...)
I agree. I find it hard to believe that this will better it, but we'll see :)

Return to “Instruments”