MuLab 6.5.29 released

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, I'm ready for a shower myself and it's quite a bit milder down here than up in your neck of the woods, haha... 8-)

Hm. I've no idea if this is a long-standing bug... It's in 6.5.23, though.

1) Open the browser in side-bar mode (not windowed)
- What: All files
- Where: /
- Which:
2) Open up a series of nested folders until you find a file with a long name that's wider than the frame.

You can see what appears to be a scrollbar at the bottom of the browser but it doesn't scroll sideways.

<edit> -- Either I was mistaken or the vertical scrollbar appeared the next time I tried it: ignore this bit for now:
3) Continue opening folders until the top of the listing is pushed off the top of the screen.

No vertical scrollbar is available - although my mouse scrollwheel worked.
</edit>

--

Unrelated but I noticed as part of what I was doing.

When MuLab is doing an intensive bit of work - e.g. resampling 10 minutes of audio - it has a progress bar. Unfortunately, after a while, this becomes "unresponsive" in Windows' terms -- presumably some callback isn't being called back quite often enough.

--

Also... I noticed this when doing the resampling above... I have eight cores on my AMD processor. When I say "use 4", MuLab uses for and I can see four cores being used. If I go above 4, nothing happens. Does MuLab ever use more than 4 cores?

pljones wrote:Hm. I've no idea if this is a long-standing bug... It's in 6.5.23, though.
1) Open the browser in side-bar mode (not windowed)
- What: All files
- Where: /
- Which:
2) Open up a series of nested folders until you find a file with a long name that's wider than the frame.
You can see what appears to be a scrollbar at the bottom of the browser but it doesn't scroll sideways.
Can you pls post a screenshot of that situation.
When MuLab is doing an intensive bit of work - e.g. resampling 10 minutes of audio - it has a progress bar. Unfortunately, after a while, this becomes "unresponsive" in Windows' terms -- presumably some callback isn't being called back quite often enough.
I'll keep an eye on it.
Also... I noticed this when doing the resampling above... I have eight cores on my AMD processor. When I say "use 4", MuLab uses for and I can see four cores being used. If I go above 4, nothing happens. Does MuLab ever use more than 4 cores?
Yes, up to 32.
Maybe your machine has 8 hyper-threaded cores but only 4 real cores?

Here's the screenshot:
The filenames are truncated but there is no horizontal scrollbar. (I just realised the bar below the browser is the audio player.)

I also noticed none of my browser selections are "sticky". I have to keep telling it "no, don't auto play" and "please start in All Files" -- that's a feature request, remember my last selections :hihi: .
AMD doesn't do HT - they're real cores. I've had all eight running well over 50% CPU for some activities in other applications (that gets the CPU fan running...). I'm actually fairly sure I've seen MuLab running with all eight cores. Currently it seems to refuse to go above four.

pljones wrote:Here's the screenshot:...
The filenames are truncated but there is no horizontal scrollbar. (I just realised the bar below the browser is the audio player.)
Indeed no horizontal scrollbar there. If you wanna see full file name of truncated file, hover the file. A horizontal scrollbar for that file list is on the wishlist.
I also noticed none of my browser selections are "sticky". I have to keep telling it "no, don't auto play" and "please start in All Files" -- that's a feature request, remember my last selections
The browser's settings are saved with the project, not globally, does that explain it? Would it be better globally? (=question to everyone)
AMD doesn't do HT - they're real cores. I've had all eight running well over 50% CPU for some activities in other applications (that gets the CPU fan running...). I'm actually fairly sure I've seen MuLab running with all eight cores. Currently it seems to refuse to go above four.[/quote]I don't see why. Could it be something on your system? Anyone else with a true (no HT) 8 core maschine that can test this pls.

The browser's settings are saved with the project, not globally, does that explain it? Would it be better globally? (=question to everyone)
I think globally would possibly be better or could it be an Prefs option.

If it is saved per project does that have a bearing on people sharing projects ?
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

bibz1st wrote:
I think globally would possibly be better or could it be an Prefs option.
Theoretically we can have thousands of preferences but i don't want to exagerate with it.
If it is saved per project does that have a bearing on people sharing projects ?
I don't see a problem there.

I'll keep it as is in M6.5 (cause i want to evolve to release) but lets hear what others say and evaluate what's best for a next version: global browser settings or per project.

I certainly agree prefs should be kept to a minimum and even though I said it might be better as a global setting, the browser hasn't caused any problems for me so far, so keeping it as is, is ok by me.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

hello, mutools creator, users,

new, extremely enthusiastic, user here. :)

little bit shameful to add my, by default, newbie opinion, regarding the option mentioned above, for me it feels like that people using more samples, loops, might like it to have that as per project setting, modular builders, preset users, perhaps could live more easily with the global setting possibility (might even be one more preference setting with the choice of these two possibilities, despite the opposite direction of keeping the numbers of these at this minimally required level).

there is one somewhat quirky thing with the new distortion module, when inputting numeric values through the keyboard for the input gain parameter, it offsets the value with some strange scaling (in order to achieve the +6.00 dB setting, one must input 19.81, +12.00 dB requires the 28.56 value), the output gain does work in the most correct manner, though.
tested this through defining one meta-parameter for it, too, but it behaves the same way.

now back to enjoy the infiniteness of mutools, looking forward to see the release, all the best.
Last edited by NadirToZenith on Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Welcome, Nadir! :)

I believe, if the preference editing was a bit more sorted by coarse categories, for example, it would be less daunting to deal with them. I mean, I really like the garage-tool feel it has to literally go "set some flags" as a user, but it would probably help boost the image of MuLab to have a more "common" or elegant preference editor. :shrug: ...just sayin'.
I hardly ever screw around in there, not just because I'm pretty happy with the defaults, but also because it's a bit exhausting to go through them. (Kudos to the excellent defaults!) :tu:

hello, Taron,
Taron wrote:really like the garage-tool feel
kudos to the excellent defaults
as far as possible in this relatively short time, the same feeling exists here.

also the release seems far more important than these small things.

all the best...

Suggestion: Lot of poeple like me like testing new releases.
But there is a little problem (not a Bug).
I have intalled last full release 6.5.18. When i load a older projet it says "Could'nt open projet".
This is ok but cant you add release info to which mulab release files belong?
Release info is stored in header of project , i can see it with a hex editor.

To be able to see release in error message would be very helpfull for all testers.

I dont make a new folder each time you release a new update, i think many other dont do it too.
It would make later file management lot easier than using a hex editor.

If a MuSession file is too old to be opened with the current MuLab 6 then MuLab does list the intermediate versions to upgrade this session, cfr the info on http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mulab/ ... jects.html

If you get an alert "Couldn't open project" then there is something wrong.
What kind of project is it? With which version was it saved? (indeed you can see it with a text / hex editor, it's written almost at the start of the file)

+1 for global browser setting.

+1 for Taron's idea regarding preference categories. I find it a little daunting going through that when the need arises. Also, due to font issues as has already been discussed, I find the list setup a little hard to read.

mutools wrote: If you get an alert "Couldn't open project" then there is something wrong.
What kind of project is it? With which version was it saved? (indeed you can see it with a text / hex editor, it's written almost at the start of the file)
Nothing is wrong. Because when i am testing release is higher than official release so it cant be updated.

Exemple: tests releas 6.5.23 official release 6.5.18

So its normal that message "Couldn't open project" is displayed .
What should be nice is that following message would appear "Couldn't open project release belong to 6.5.23".

Nothing else...

Return to “MUTOOLS”