iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

I went today to check out the upgrade from 1 to 2 and I can't believe how much they want for it. Wow.
What sound do dreams make when they die?

I can't believe how much they want for it
I just checked and Iris 2 is discounted down to 200 USD from 300 USD. I wonder if Izotope is still based on same planet where we live? :nutter:

I mean, it's still more than Serum, which is often ranked as the best synth in the market.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

faun2500 wrote:Iris 2 is on sale for $149 so the emails keep telling me. I am an owner of Iris 1 and guess how much it is to upgrade to Iris 2?

$149 it appears!!
I never bothered to upgrade to Iris 2. I tried the demo and it was very buggy, unstable and broken. And now all these months later I find/read that it is still in exactly the same condition.

Wait another full year and I predict that they will release V3 and charge you again for a "fixed" product.
I contacted support about this but they have fobbed me off! Not impressed at the moment!

Anyone else noticed this or have I got my wires crossed?
Yep. You've been fobbed off... as have all the Iris users in this thread posting about their problems.

Look back a bit and have a read of some of Brad (from Izotope's) earlier comments in this thread, and now he is nowhere to be seen.

Same as matthines from Izotope in the RX thread here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438380 . The only time they are actually here is when they occasionally step in to do some damage control. Then they disappear again.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

I'm bumping this thread up because I just received an email today that the Iris 2 upgrade is on sale for $79. So... it sounds like the prevailing opinion is a "meh" on the upgrade? I confess that I don't have many Iris 1 patches that I made myself, though I did purchase a couple of the expansion packs.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

I'm bumping this thread up because I just received an email today that the Iris 2 upgrade is on sale for $79. So... it sounds like the prevailing opinion is a "meh" on the upgrade?
I was enticed to download - and almost as quickly delete - the trial again.

It's still as deeply flawed as ever. Same ridiculous UI where envelopes no longer correlate visibly to the sample slots they apply to. Maybe v3 will actually restore the lost functionality, but until then I'm sticking with v1 (which I still love).

sjn wrote:
I'm bumping this thread up because I just received an email today that the Iris 2 upgrade is on sale for $79. So... it sounds like the prevailing opinion is a "meh" on the upgrade?

It's still as deeply flawed as ever. Same ridiculous UI where envelopes no longer correlate visibly to the sample slots they apply to. Maybe v3 will actually restore the lost functionality, but until then I'm sticking with v1 (which I still love).
The main problem with the new envelopes in iris 2 is that you can't add another modulator like an LFO to modulate the volume of a sample because the values always get added to the envelope (no matter how you set the modulation mode), so when you release the sample the LFO will overwrite the decaying volume which sounds very un-natural/wrong, or when using the modulation wheel the same thing happens. So the only workaround is, to only use the master envelope (5) assigned to the main output to control the overall volume of a patch, then you can use modulators like LFOs/Macros/Modwheel/Aftertouch to control the individual oscillator volumes - but then you loose the ability of individually enveloping the volume of each sample.

Thanks for that workaround tip, was wondering if I was doing something wrong.
I really like this synth for its creative possibilities, I've made lots of patches from some of my field recordings and combined them with the great synth samples they provided, but it needs some attention from Izotope. I have read about the blight Sampleconstruct has faced with the patches and I may be in for the same if there ever is an Iris 3. I am beginning to wonder about this company I had much confidence in. I hope they are able to turn it around.
BC

I don't think we will ever see an Iris 3, they just left us with a half-baken version 2 and then stopped to communicate.

Sampleconstruct wrote:I don't think we will ever see an Iris 3, they just left us with a half-baken version 2 and then stopped to communicate.
Yeah.

I'm hoping you are wrong, but I suspect that you are right.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

[quote="Sampleconstruct"][quote="sjn"][quote]I'm bumping this thread up because I just received an email today that the Iris 2 upgrade is on sale for $79. So... it sounds like the prevailing opinion is a "meh" on the upgrade?[/quote]

It's still as deeply flawed as ever. Same ridiculous UI where envelopes no longer correlate visibly to the sample slots they apply to. Maybe v3 will actually restore the lost functionality, but until then I'm sticking with v1 (which I still love).[/quote]

The main problem with the new envelopes in iris 2 is that you can't add another modulator like an LFO to modulate the volume of a sample because the values always get added to the envelope (no matter how you set the modulation mode), so when you release the sample the LFO will overwrite the decaying volume which sounds very un-natural/wrong, or when using the modulation wheel the same thing happens. So the only workaround is, to only use the master envelope (5) assigned to the main output to control the overall volume of a patch, then you can use modulators like LFOs/Macros/Modwheel/Aftertouch to control the individual oscillator volumes - but then you loose the ability of individually enveloping the volume of each sample.[/quote]

Not true. Check out page 52 of the manual. You can combine modulators and set them to multiply.

I programmed so many workarounds on Iris 2, believe me, combining Macros/LFOs and envelopes all assigned to the volume of an oscillator is not working in Iris 2, no matter what the manual says. In Iris 1 this is not an issue at all, but the whole architecture changed to the worse in Iris 2, that's just a fact not an opinion.

This was one time where KVR actually saved me some money. Iris 2 will never grace me host, and I've grown wary of Izotope's product policy, especially regarding version upgrades. I can just hear a slimy consultant whispering into the ear of the CEO... words like "planned obsolescence", "money money money", "shiny graphics sell plugins, not content", "Apple product cycle", "consumers are like 5-year-olds, they need guidance"...

ariston wrote:I can just hear a slimy consultant whispering into the ear of the CEO...
a venture capitalist to be precise .... an ABS Capital Partners venture capitalist to be even more precise.

ever since the final quarter of 2013.

Daags wrote:
ariston wrote:I can just hear a slimy consultant whispering into the ear of the CEO...
a venture capitalist to be precise .... an ABS Capital Partners venture capitalist to be even more precise.

ever since the final quarter of 2013.
Ah, I see. Well, talk about seeing your worst fears surpassed. I know it's hard to exist in this competitive market, and it's easy to gripe from the sidelines, but still...

Back to the beautiful Iris 2 and her exquisite shortcomings.

After some experimenting, I am able to get the lfo/envelopes working per sample the way I expected them to. My oversight(s) was the invert button combined with a negative modulation range. My focus was on the gain parameter and release of the envelope. I am now able to get samples that are independently adjustable and from envelope 5. I was using it wrong. More study for me.

I really like this synth a lot, it has huge potential. I would like to see it further developed. There is nothing like it out there as far as I know.
BC

Return to “Instruments”