KVR MIX CHALLENGE - MC09 April 2015 - CONCLUDED, Results are in

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, congrats guys! :clap: ...also really happy that Paul chose my mix as one of the best mixes! :) Yes, the vocal is over-saturated, I fine-tuned the saturation for the 2nd, "heavy" part but forgot to have a close listen on how that would translate within the 1st part, a simple mult with different settings could have solved the problem I guess! :)

Anyway, love mixing and will certainly continue trying to get better! :tu:

Congrats guys, it was a long wait but the song was very rewarding to work with.

looks like my mix got lost. I think I deleted it too fast from soundcloud :(

Looks like it - I'm terribly sorry about that. But I triple checked if the files are available.

If you still have it, I can maybe take another short listen and do a private 3-line feedback or something.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

that is a nice move, thank you! But it is ok. I cried for an hour and I am fine now. Guess this is how the rough music business works. there is no second chance. ;)
:smack:

For completeness sake - please get it to me and I'll take another listen.
You participated, you deserve the feedback.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Wow thanks for the verdict, congrats to 3ee and stonecutter ! :)

About the porridge, at first I was wondering what was it, then after reading I understood, indeed I didn't know what to do with this synth loop at first, but I knew I couldn't ditch it so I painfully pushed it under the others instruments...I should have over-processed it like u said compyfox.

About the drums, were they over or under processed ?

About the dithering, if we have to make a 16bit render (for the mp3), do we have to skip dithering in the case of a mix ?

I should be careful with this chorus... need double check in the headphones...

Thanks for the feedback, to all participants and to paul stevenson ! ;)

So Davias... what would you like as a prize for winning this contest?

Cool! Thanks guys. I enjoyed mixing this one and really appreciate the solid feedback. Looking forward to more for sure.
3ee wrote:Hey, congrats guys! :clap: ...also really happy that Paul chose my mix as one of the best mixes! :) Yes, the vocal is over-saturated, I fine-tuned the saturation for the 2nd, "heavy" part but forgot to have a close listen on how that would translate within the 1st part, a simple mult with different settings could have solved the problem I guess! :)

Anyway, love mixing and will certainly continue trying to get better! :tu:
It's pretty clear you are a really good mixer, every time I see one of your mixes I know it will set the bar. I almost have to root against you because its like the super bowl MVP winning a car or something, you know? I mean that as a compliment. Keep up the good work, but if you are gonna get better you should think about going completely pro and forgetting the contests. :hihi:
Last edited by Stonecutter on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sorry double post.

Hey Stonecutter, thanks for the compliments! :) ... unfortunately can't leave this easily, at least atm + (don't have enough work to keep me busy) so I guess you'll be stuck with me, at least for a while! :hihi:

3ee wrote:So Davias... what would you like as a prize for winning this contest?
This time would like IK Multimedia British Channel, thank you for asking :)

Good choice! :)

I'll take Acon Digital Restoration Suite.

Many thanks to the sponsors! :tu:

Davias wrote:About the drums, were they over or under processed ?
Please keep in mind, I'm not the client - I can only speak for myself in an as objective way as possible.
To me, the drums a bit over-processed. Especially the snare.

Davias wrote:About the dithering, if we have to make a 16bit render (for the mp3), do we have to skip dithering in the case of a mix ?
If the source file is 24bit, provide 24bit. If it's 16bit, provide 16bit or higher. Please do not dither at all!

MP3s can easily be encoded from WAV files with 24bit, even 32bit. If dithering then happens, it's due to the used CODEC or due to SoundCloud or similar messing up.

Davias wrote:I should be careful with this chorus... need double check in the headphones...
It's not as prominent with speakers, but definitely with headphones.

:arrow: Regarding the price selection:
As usual, please get in touch with satYatunes, he'll sort things out for you. But please be patient for the handling of the licenses.

Compyfox wrote:Fender19Nice delay on the vocals, volume balance to other instruments is great. Don't like the „roomy“ voice effect (what is on there?! shifts the vocals), interesting effect on ebow guitar, drums don't fit with the rest of the song (too quiet, EQ could be redone), end part is a "sound porridge", end cuts off too abruptly (guitars were cut away).
Thank you for the feedback.

The "sound porridge" and abrupt cutoff at the end of the song were intentional - to accentuate chaos terminated by an abrupt end ("flash of blinding light"). I left the ethereal synth tracks running and swelled them a bit to close the song for a "ghostly" aftermath. Maybe all that was only a good idea to me but it seemed appropriate.

Agree with the comments on the drums. Had them more up front originally but felt it was a bit distracting and pulled them back. The FX on the lead vocal was a very slight stereo spread (Cubase Cloner, fixed delay and detune, no modulation). The "interesting effect" on the ebow is a stereo delay.

I really enjoyed working on this mix. It was well performed with good structure and arrangement. Hope to work with more tracks like this in future KVR MCs.

Congratulations to the winners! Well done.

Return to “Production Techniques”