MCompressor Stereo Linking

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

From Wikipedia : Stereo Linking

A compressor in stereo linking mode applies the same amount of gain reduction to both the left and right channels. This is done to prevent image shifting that can occur if each channel is compressed individually. It becomes noticeable when a loud element that is panned to either edge of the stereo field raises the level of the program to the compressor's threshold, causing its image to shift toward the center of the stereo field.

Stereo linking can be achieved in two ways: Either the compressor sums to mono the left and right channel at the input, then only the left channel controls are functional; or, the compressor still calculates the required amount of gain reduction independently for each channel and then applies the highest amount of gain reduction to both (in such case it could still make sense to dial different settings on left and right channels as one might wish to have less compression for left-side events.

------------------------------------------

I would like to know if MCompressor sums to mono or still calculates the required amount of gain reduction independently for each channel and then applies the highest amount of gain reduction to both.

Right under where it says Ratio is a button to toggle whether the channels are linked, or not linked.

From the F1 help for that button:

"Link channels-Link channels defines if the power is defined by all channels together instead of compression based on separate channel signal powers."

I think the wiki thing is pretty dumb really - taking maximum would make sense, but summing the channels is just wrong as it doesn't account for any phase problems (and there are always some). In our case, we use "power averaging scheme". Basically average of the power of all channels.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:we use "power averaging scheme". Basically average of the power of all channels.

Cool Thanks :)
Now what would you recommend me for a full song mastering.
Link channels or not ?
The difference is not very audible with only 3db of gain reduction.

Well, I'd go for linked channels, otherwise you might shift the stereo image (which may be wanted, but it's more probable that you don't want it :D ).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Well, I'd go for linked channels, otherwise you might shift the stereo image (which may be wanted, but it's more probable that you don't want it :D ).

Return to “MeldaProduction”