Hive 1.0

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

BDeep wrote:they also play legato if they are connected (ie, directly after each other)
Exactly what I was trying to say :tu:

Yeah... I'm onto it...

Urs wrote:I set up a sequence in Hive in AU Lab, all legato, playing just a sine oscillator in legato mode, filters on bypass. And indeed, the interval changes have perceivable pops and clicks.
Thanks so much for testing this Urs!! I'm happy you can see the same issue. It would make me a very happy dude if you can fix this - when there's thick treble the pops get covered up, but bass patches are where it kills me as I use distortion and enhance treble a lot.

Otherwise I'm loving Hive, thank you! :tu:
Urs wrote:So I went and did the same with a square wave. Curious again, no extra overshoots or DC changes. Everything looks exactly as I expected.
I haven't tested squares, but I originally found this issue on my low-passed sawtooth bass patches. I then tried sine / triangle as they are more revealing and they have the issue too.
Urs wrote:The overshoot must happen in the processing thereafter, maybe some lowpass filter. Whether this filter is inside Hive or whatever infrastructure AU Lab uses to render to disc, I don't know yet.
FYI I can hear the artifact (albeit faintly) with both Hive filters disabled, and no FX. So if it's caused by a LPF it would have to be one I cannot see in the GUI. Also the problem is exactly the same when playing notes on my MIDI keyboard.

New discovery: Setting a 100% wet reverb makes it go away. That suggests the problem is introduced in dry signal only? (quite odd..)

Thx Urs! :)

BDeep wrote:
Lejurai wrote:Dunno if anyone else is having this issue but when I draw some notes to pianoroll, envelopes don't restart on note start :P I have to shorten the notes a bit to make it restart.

Playing legato and in Bitwig.
The point of Legato is that the env's don't restart when they overlap ;)
Try setting the Mode parameter next to the HIVE logo to Mono instead of Legato for env retriggering.
abstractcats wrote:Hi, guys! For the life of me, I cant find how to turn on, OSC 2, from the INI. preset. What am I missing, thanks.
:)
Just turn up the Volume knob and make sure that Osc2 is assigned to one of the filters (the little boxes next to the filters route an osc to that filter).
Got it, thanks! Brain fart, I had :)

When I assign a modulator like an lfo or envelope to seq gate, nothing happens, although it appears to be a legitimate mod destination.
Could you please fix this. Since modulating this parameter can produce all sorts of accents and variations to sound that I can't presently produce.
Last edited by yemski on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

accidental post
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

Shiek927 wrote:
Nutrinoland wrote:Carrier + Modulator + Hive

waiting and wishing for FM on Hive .....
I was saying on the feature request board that the mod-matrix would actually be the ideal place for the FM/Sync and hopefully Ring-mod. That way, you can route the effect anywhere you want rather than being relegated to a waveform. You can introduce sync before the filter, afterwards etc. Then, just turn the dial to adjust the amount.

In general, Hive really needs to expand it's digital frontier. Essentially, all of these requests (FM/Sync, etc) deal with that element. Some digital waveforms would really help with DnB, Dubstep, and those grittier styles.
Double plus one on this. Fm,RM,PM and sync would be wicked.
Also the ability to load single cycles would really open things up a lot.
Nothing complicated, I'm not expecting Urs to turn Hive into Serum, just the ability to import single cycles at 128,256,512,1024 and 2048 samples, to widen it's timbral capabilities. As it it is, I have and still am getting a lot out of Hive, even with it's quite limited feature set, but having these features would really expand it's palette by a large degree.
Last edited by yemski on Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

yemski wrote:When I assign a modulator like an lfo or envelope to seq gate, nothing happens, although it appears to be a legitimate mod destination.
Could you please fix this. Since modulating this parameter can produce all sorts of accents and variations to sound that I can't presently produce.
It's fixed in our latest inhouse builds. Can't wait till we publish those but there's still a bunch of things that we would like to tackle first.

Urs wrote:
yemski wrote:When I assign a modulator like an lfo or envelope to seq gate, nothing happens, although it appears to be a legitimate mod destination.
It's fixed in our latest inhouse builds. Can't wait till we publish those but there's still a bunch of things that we would like to tackle first.
Cool. I really like the Arp/Seq set up with Hive. Simple but effective.

Being able to modulate the parameters on that properly would open things up a lot. Being able to modulate the number of steps would be great as well. I've just programmed a bunch of patches for the , upcoming, Strobe 2 and I've had a lot of fun with that feature, especially using Sample and hold,noise or a random source to modulate the step sequence in this way.

Can't wait to see what other additions/improvements you've got for Hive in the future. It's a great synth. Really flexible with a wide sonic palette, despite being deceptively simple.

i miss some features on this synth but what bother me most is that i spend lot of time on the envelops to find sweet spots,these are somewhat tricky, its often where i spend most of my time when programing a patch when i need precise and tight decay setting , a slope a la diversion would make things a lot faster maybe insteed of spending age modulating the curves and often i don't get the result after but maybe it's my fault. anyway for a synth made to be fast to program with plenty sweet spot the envelop are the weak point right now for me ,the rest i really enjoy it.

I miss AMP/GAIN/Ammount on LFO.

Dont you?

themachinelt wrote:I miss AMP/GAIN/Ammount on LFO.
Dont you?
No. Hive's LFO's don't need an "output level" because modulation depths are set at each target.

Howard wrote:
Dont you?
No. Hive's LFO's don't need an "output level" because modulation depths are set at each target.
Its different. For example Zebra2 has this and the sound is a bit different when playing along modulation depth + amp.

themachinelt wrote:
Howard wrote:
Dont you?
Its different. For example Zebra2 has this and the sound is a bit different when playing along modulation depth + amp.
Yes, in Zebra Lfo Amp can be modulated freely, while in Hive you can set only the amount,
but we can't modulate the mod slot in the matrix yet - except when you using the "Via" - where you can put Modwheel or another Lfo or Env etc...
EDIT: so finally you CAN modulate the Lfo amp with the Via.

Hello.

This is extremely insignificant, but it's irksome, and I've been meaning to fix it for a while, as I'm obsessive about unimportant things: the one patch in Hive's factory presets - Treasure Trove - TedLogan - Stormdrain. I forgot to turn on PLAY for the sequencer before uploading it last time. If that is not turned on, the patch just plays wooshy pink noise.

Please either replace that with this

https://www.sendspace.com/file/rzzhsa

or simply turn on either MODULATOR or PLAY in the ARP&SEQ window, and then save the patch.

bmrzycki, would you please update Hive's library?

Thanking thee all

Return to “u-he”