Anyone usinf Spitfire Audio's e-DNA? Thoughts...?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been circling it for weeks now. Listened to all the You Tube videos where they play the presets. A lot of it sounded the same (pretty drones), but it's hard to tell what it's capable of from the videos. Someone posted on another forum those videos don't do it justice.

I have and love Omnisphere and will be updating to 2.0. Also the Komplete Ultimate pack and U-he's major synths.

At nearly $300 it isn't a minor purchase. Can it do signifigantly different things than Omni? Or can it synthesize the orchestral samples in ways I probably couldn't do on my own?

Well....I have it and use it.
What would you want to know about it?

I happen to love it. It has that wonderful (for me) modern, edgy hybrid orchestral/electro sound to it. That's also a genre I'm very much into.
All the patches are made from Spitfire's back catalog of orchestral and instrument samples. Certainly in no recognizable way, or a sound I could come up with myself. They also just released an "expansion" soundset for it by The Unfinished. Like all his stuff, it sounds awesome. Then again, he did some factory patches for Omni2 as well.

I don't own Omni (I'm more in the "I'll use what everyone else isn't using" camp, I guess). I do own Zebra, Diva, Bazille and lots of other Kontakt libraries.

Judging from my experience with Omni1 owned by friends, I'd say it's more edgy and raw sounding and less evolving soundscapes.
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

Hey, thanks for the reply. I just saw it now. Didn't get the notification about your response. Anyway, I haven't bought it and not sure I will. I agree with what you're saying about the sound of e-DNA. Omni seems more versatile. With the current exchange rate e-DNA is over $300 in Canada right now, and that's too much for a maybe.

I own Omni 2 and got to spend a few hours with eDNA some months ago, and if I could only have one of the two choices, then Omnisphere would win.... without question. Spitfire has incredible orchestral libs, which I own many of, but IMO products such as eDNA are more of a niche product. eDNA reminded me of Spitfire's Enigma (which I own and like, but have a hard time finding uses for it). The YouTube eDNA videos- IMO, if you like what you hear on them, get it, but if what you hear on the video's doesn't thrill you, I would pass on it. If eDNA was only $100, I'd buy it for sure, but at $300 I would have to be positive that I would use it all the time.......like Spitfire's Albions, that I use all the time.

i have both omnisphere and eDNA and imo eDNA is far
less usable in range and also has a very raw and harsh
quality to it whereas omni is more polished out of the box,
more pleasing sound pallete,
with huge timbral range and a plethora of other capabilities,
(fx, arpeggiator, synth engine, orb, multis etc).

if you are interesting in exploring non spectrasonic options
you may wish to check products by sample logic, output, wide blue
sound, vir2, and the numerous specialty kontakt and reason libraries
before eDNA. Again this is my opinion, your taste maybe different.

Thanks for the additional info, quantum7 and cfanyc. I'm passing on e-DNA for now. Maybe when the exchange rate improves. You both confirmed my impressions from the videos. But, sometimes the videos and sound examples don't do an instrument justice, so I thought I'd ask around. I'll just stick with Omni for now, though.

Thanks for the recommendations, cfanyc. I'm always checking out the new stuff.

brentm wrote:Thanks for the additional info, quantum7 and cfanyc. I'm passing on e-DNA for now. Maybe when the exchange rate improves. You both confirmed my impressions from the videos. But, sometimes the videos and sound examples don't do an instrument justice, so I thought I'd ask around. I'll just stick with Omni for now, though.

Thanks for the recommendations, cfanyc. I'm always checking out the new stuff.

welcome and good luck with your search. There are some amazing libraries/instruments
out there!

Return to “Instruments”