Windows 10 **FORCED** OS updates -- thoughts?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

t3toooo wrote: But even my little Asus Netbook from 2010 (coupled with a SSD) is enjoying Windows 10 and it is faster than Win 7.
It's amazing isn't it? I have installed Windows 10 on a Atom N550 netbook here, which rly struggled with Windows 7, so i had Ubuntu installed, and it's running on Windows 10 now after upgrading Windows 7. Even as fast as Ubuntu which always had the edge over Windows 7 due to the more simpler system, and less background tasks. MS surely did some magic to the performance there.

The Traveler wrote:BMoore, you pick your sources, I'll pick mine. But then, I won't label you an "idiot" for your choices. I see nothing in your citation that I would consider "authoritative". Oh, it's interesting, and it's probably accurate to some degree, but I'm sure it's not going to be the last word on it. The real clincher for me was "For the summer I've lived with my boyfriend who works for Microsoft." Uh-huh ... well, then ... hmm.

BTW, DetCord12B makes a convincing counter argument just a few post further down in her post.

I'll remain skeptical. Have a nice day.

Cheers.
I can imagine your sources...
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

forced? I'm using legit copy of windows 8 and still I'm not forced. You're doing wrong obviously bro.

chk071 wrote:
t3toooo wrote: But even my little Asus Netbook from 2010 (coupled with a SSD) is enjoying Windows 10 and it is faster than Win 7.
It's amazing isn't it? I have installed Windows 10 on a Atom N550 netbook here, which rly struggled with Windows 7, so i had Ubuntu installed, and it's running on Windows 10 now after upgrading Windows 7. Even as fast as Ubuntu which always had the edge over Windows 7 due to the more simpler system, and less background tasks. MS surely did some magic to the performance there.
Without proper benchmarking and concrete figures those statements ("..is faster..") don't mean that much to me I'm afraid.

2 times faster? 5 times faster? Boots three seconds faster? Boots three minutes faster?

I wouldn't underestimate the psychological effects you get when using sth new, especially a new OS.

tooneba wrote:forced? I'm using legit copy of windows 8 and still I'm not forced. You're doing wrong obviously bro.
Your reading comprehension is wrong, bro.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

2ZrgE wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Without proper benchmarking and concrete figures those statements ("..is faster..") don't mean that much to me I'm afraid.

2 times faster? 5 times faster? Boots three seconds faster? Boots three minutes faster?

I wouldn't underestimate the psychological effects you get when using sth new, especially a new OS.
Lol... i've had about 5 OS's now on my netbook, so you can surely believe that i notice when something is faster or snappier. :) It doesn't need a benchmark, or rocket science to say that browsers react and scoll faster without lagging, that flash or HTML5 videos run smoother, or that programs react quicker. Really, no offense, but what's wrong with you? Do you think that people who say that Windows 10 runs smooth are in any way biased, or not able to judge these things? I've been working with Xubuntu, Linux Mint Cinnamon, XFCE and KDE, Ubuntu, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Android, MacOS, iOS and god knows what else, and i AM able to judge these things. And just because some "expert" posted screenshots of his task manager here where Windows 10 uses over 2 GB of Ram when idling (Ram consumption is VERY dynamic and depends largely on how much system Ram you have...) doesn't mean that it can't run smoothly on a netbook with 2 GB of Ram and less. Again, it is running absolutely amazingly here, nearly as good as Xubuntu, and that system is so strapped down and minimal compared, you wouldn't believe it if you don't know it. It's no wonder anyway as both Winodws 8.1 and Windows 10 are optimized to run on lower devices, to make the convergence between desktop and mobile devices.

t3tooo's netbook is probably even weaker than mine, that's first generation Atom processors, his probably even with only a single core with maybe an additional virtual core. Those were comparable with a Pentium 1 GHz (as they were rather optimized to save energy, and not to be performant). And if he says that it's running quite smoothly you can figure what that means for the overall performance of the OS... Windows 7 Starter sucked on those devices, even without the additional vendor software installed which slowed down the machines even more. Anyway, if you don't believe me or him, just wait for your benchmarks... i already saw a racing game benchmark which showed the superiority compared to Windows 8.1.

2ZrgE wrote:I wouldn't underestimate the psychological effects you get when using sth new, especially a new OS.
Comparing an OS thats been used, for months if not years, without a clean install, vs a clean install is fairly problematic as far as benchmarks go.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Tips for privacy settings during installation:
https://fix10.isleaked.com/
I don`t install Win10 now. But if i do it in the next time, i will search for such options, furthermore.
And don`t forget: U play at your own risk!
Was Große tun, beschwatzen gern die Kleinen.

xNiMiNx wrote:
2ZrgE wrote:I wouldn't underestimate the psychological effects you get when using sth new, especially a new OS.
Comparing an OS thats been used, for months if not years, without a clean install, vs a clean install is fairly problematic as far as benchmarks go.
Yes it is. But the difference will be in the low percentage area, not in the 20-30-50 % area. Apart from that, what you described will also depend on the speed of your harddrive. A SSD will obviously have less problems with the system startup, or cluttered files.

incubus wrote:
Zexila wrote:
Are really peoply liking those flat GUI over the Aero trasparency thing??
Aero is hideous, looks cheap, trashy, kitsch is the right word :scared:
I know better than to bite at the bait, but I can't help myself :D

What looks better? Certainly not windows 10? It's like looking at my old palm unit.

Are you going to say mac? I don't think there is anything better looking about OSX. I just think it's a pretty bold/emotional thing to say unless there is something I don't know about :shrug:
Aero is hideous, period, like that Nike Air Max sneakers tons of people are wearing proudly, freaking kitsch :lol:

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

chk071 wrote:Yes it is. But the difference will be in the low percentage area, not in the 20-30-50 % area. Apart from that, what you described will also depend on the speed of your harddrive. A SSD will obviously have less problems with the system startup, or cluttered files.
The point im making though, is that a dirty OS vs a fresh OS, is enough difference that youll come across comments like 'feels snappier'. (even with the same OS reinstalled)

Mmmm those sneakers are awsomz!!1!!1! Im going to pick a pair up. Im going to get them 3 sizes too big, so people can admire them from further distances.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

So just use a firewall to block the update service if it bothers you.
:roll:
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

Have to say I'm loving Windows 10. Update was seamless and MS have finally sorted out the incoherent mess that was Windows 8. That said, I only use Windows 10 for office work, music is on my mac.

The default enabled option to allow updates from your PC to other PCs on the internet is naughty though.

incubus wrote:
Zexila wrote:
Are really peoply liking those flat GUI over the Aero trasparency thing??
Aero is hideous, looks cheap, trashy, kitsch is the right word :scared:
I know better than to bite at the bait, but I can't help myself :D

What looks better? Certainly not windows 10? It's like looking at my old palm unit.

Are you going to say mac? I don't think there is anything better looking about OSX. I just think it's a pretty bold/emotional thing to say unless there is something I don't know about :shrug:
Windows 10 flat look is ugly, and not certainly "modern" (I don't know what that word means anymore. OSes seem more and more like fashion - every year needs new clothes, and to be "new" they have to get back to what was "new" 20 years ago).

And yes, Mac Os X looks a lot better - round corners, thin, elegant frames around the windows, and discrete shadows on the icons. These three apparently small details would do wonders in Windows 10.

Regarding the "hideous" and "kitsch" of Aero... I, for once, love it. Still do, after all these years.
Transparency is present, but that's pretty much it. Flat icons without shadows are certainly a BIG STEP BACK. Whomever thought that looks "modern" think again. With the current generation of graphic cards, that render those fabulous 3D movie like games on screen, having am OS looking like that is a nonsense.

Besides that, I think Windows 10 is a great OS, and that Microsoft did a great job with it.
Fernando (FMR)

chk071 wrote:
2ZrgE wrote:
chk071 wrote:

Really, no offense, but what's wrong with you? Do you think that people who say that Windows 10 runs smooth are in any way biased, or not able to judge these things? .
Calm down, it was not my intention to attack anyone. :wink:

I'm sure a lot of people are biased, but of course there are also a lot of people who are able to judge these things.

I just need figures, not opinions, that's all I'm saying. Finally everyone has to experience it for himself I guess.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”