Windows 10 for DAW

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had to rollback to 8.1 tonight.
- Roland drivers are not W10 compatible. Mr GR55 and VG99 fail to work.
- Focusrite drivers for 18i8 are still in Beta. Not as stable yet as their previous version. Some spiking in CPU utilisation
- Eventually got nvidia driver working after a 260Mg download
- Occassionally losing my D and E drive where I store my songs and samples
- HP Z series chipset drivers not available yet

Once the drivers are nailed down I'll be back as I was very impressed with what I saw.

dorism wrote:I had to rollback to 8.1 tonight.
- Focusrite drivers for 18i8 are still in Beta. Not as stable yet as their previous version. Some spiking in CPU utilisation

Once the drivers are nailed down I'll be back as I was very impressed with what I saw.

I think I may do the same.... I cannot take the slow boot...

Rajah wrote:

I think I may do the same.... I cannot take the slow boot...
Slow boot? I don't have slow boot. It is actually little bit faster than 8.1 for me, although in the first starts yes it took forever to login, but now it is ok.

I didn't choose Roland and Focusrite this time. I didn't have good experiences with their drivers in the past. I chose one from Presonus, iTwo, which is very good really with win 8.1 and 10. I don't have Z motherboards though, just a micro B series (Gigabyte B85M-D2V) which still has a problem with AppCenter. Othorwise, I'm keeping Win 10 :)

MOTU finally got back in touch with me through their ticket system to thank me for my inputs on the issues with my Microbook II in Windows10 and that they would be forwarding my comments to the team that is working on resolving the issues with their product drivers for Win10. So they seem to be working on it..

Because I don't have enough problems in my life, I gave the update a go. I didn't spend much time with it, but everything seemed to work fine.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

dumped it onto the work machine...seemed okay, so fired it off on the DAW for giggles (i have an 8.1 image to fall back to).

thus far, two minor niggles:
the welcome to DP window doesn't show any content (which is known to use IE, which of course isn't present in a clean install...i knew that, so no biggie). reported/acked by motu.

i use homegroup sharing to occassionally drag files between computers, which worked between 8.1 and 7 pro. i only share the documents folder...all others are off, but in 10pro/10home, no matter HOW i set the prefs for homegroup sharing, it shares music, videos, and all that crap...basically everything BUT documents. So, no matter what i tell it to share or not, it just uses its default setting. Guess i'll just go back to the old way, then :/

otherwise, latest/greatest 8.1 drivers, etc are working fine here.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

- Roland drivers are not W10 compatible.
The RDIFxxxx.INF file for Roland drivers can be updated to work in Windows 10. The overall driver architecture in Windows 10 appears to be binary compatible with that of Windows 7, so most Windows 7/8.x drivers may be used in Windows 10; the only catch is that Windows Driver Signature Enforcement will need to be disabled. Check out the following thread; the procedure described by Ethan Rouse-Peters in this thread should work for all Roland drivers. On the following page of that same thread (page 4), AlanSJackson describes an alternative procedure that has also worked for folks.

By the way, I came across this quote from a Microsoft employee who works on the audio team; he makes a slight jab at Roland's VariOS module:
My only request for people still running XP is to keep it off the internet. If you also surf or have that machine open to the internet, its chance of getting some nasty exploit/malware/virus is pretty high because we no longer patch XP (it's 12+ years old). But for people who need to keep it around to run really old stuff with abandoned drivers *cough*Roland VariOS*cough* it's fine as long as you keep it off your network and internet.
He also had this to say regarding the Windows team working with firms like Roland, Yamaha and Korg to get them to at least issue some universal compatible drivers for the older synths:
We talk with all the big players, but we can't always get them to update drivers for old hardware. We strongly encourage companies to use class drivers whenever possible so we don't run into this. Not all of them are interested in that. We're also working to see what we need to change going forward so they are more likely to use class drivers for different types of devices (USB Audio 2 being an obvious one). But a handful of companies will always insist on writing their own, which eventually means they'll stop working on Windows and OSX. We've had *lots* of discussions about this internally and with the partners.
I have heard that Roland engineers in Japan are working on new drivers that should be full Windows-compliant; the INF hack described above should get us by in the interim.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Have to chime in....

I run Machine 2 with Komplete Audio 6 interface. Went from 7 to 10 without issue. Runs faster. Seems to handle threads and cores better than 7. I did not wait for the invite, I went to the MS site and got the download and everything went smooth.

Really like 10, potential to be best Windows ever IMHO but time will tell.
Dell desktop Win 10 /2012 MacBook Pro
Cubase Pro 10/Mixcraft 9

Roland has great driver support. I was pleased to see that my 7 year old+ interface has drivers for all the latest OSes.

I have not yet upgraded to Windows 10, myself; I am still running Windows 8.1. However, I did need to perform an in-place re-installation of Windows 8.1 over itself (it was the only option I had left to fix a corrupt Windows component store). After I did that in-place install of Windows 8.1 (which I believe will be similar to the in-place upgrade install of Windows 10), I needed to reauthorize all of audio plugins protected by PACE/iLok (soft authorization/no-dongle). By re-installing the latest available versions of my audio plugins and the latest available version of the iLok authorization manager, I was then able to reauthorize all of my plugins with the exception of my Xils Lab plugin. I have been in contact with Xils Lab, and Xavier is aware of the problem but until he has the time to update the plugin to work with the latest iLok library, I am unable to reauthorize the plugin in Windows 8.1 (or Windows 10).
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

camsr wrote:Roland has great driver support. I was pleased to see that my 7 year old+ interface has drivers for all the latest OSes.
Right now, the best way to check official Windows 10 compatibility status of Roland audio drivers is here. It looks like when the official drivers are released by Roland, they will automatically be installed by the Windows 10 updater when the Roland hardware is connected to a USB port and powered up.

UM-880 no???!!

Screw Windows 10, then!!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Instead of blaming an OS for the woes of upgrading, I think we should consider manufacturers who need to continue improving, especially by providing class drivers for their products. These item specific drivers are insane and can even clash with other drivers needed on your system. Class drivers eliminate much of that, and generally seem to perform better.

I remember years ago having a several pieces of hardware become useless when Windows XP came out. It ticked me off, but not at Microsoft...at the manufacturer.

Many peripherals today work in this manner, so we know it is not hard to make it happen. A firmware update might make older models work in this same fashion.

Of course, there is no money in that, so it is possible a lot of manufacturers could care less. But don't quote me on that.

Here's a useful list compiled by Sweetwater for Windows 10 compatibility. Note that NI and Steinberg don't recommend updating yet!

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art ... formation/

Jack

Win10 here, now, for over 2 weeks. Rock solid, but then the only external hardware I use are two USB KMI MIDI controllers... :hihi:

Boots plenty fast, but then I have a hybrid drive so I suspect that's cheating a bit. Tracktion, Sound Forge, SONAR X3 all work quite well. So far no incompatible VSTs, but only time will tell.

Definitely an improvement for me, I hated Win8.1 with a fiery vengeance because it'd keep shoving me into the Metro interface, sod that! :tantrum:
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”