Something very dynamic

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Now that M6.2 is in the wild, I have something that is fresh and still warm from the oven.
MB-Dyn-EQ.jpg
Here is a Multiband Dynamic EQ.
It started as a de-esser patch, but quickly involved into this (thanks Michael).
The audio is cut in thee bands, and in each band sits an EQ band.
The low and high band have a shelve EQ, the mid band is a bell shape.

The gain of each of these EQs is controlled by the level of the audio you are running through the patch.
You can adjust the crossover of the bands and the amount of gain (positive or negative) you want to apply on each band. The louder the audio in one band the more the EQ will work.

How does it work:
First you have an Input and Output level knob at the top left and right. EQ boosts need to be reigned in, or the input needs to get boosted to push the dynamic stages a bit more.

Next you find the crossover setup at the top. As they are crossovers, they affect 2 adjacent bands. You will see any adjustment on the frequency knobs in each band. The mid band is set half way between low and high shelve.

Each band has a Q and a Gain setting. Here the Gain is called Initial Gain, as this is a fixed setting. That means you can use this as a simple 3 band static EQ. And add the dynamics from there.

At the bottom are the settings for the dynamic action.
The red Gain Ride knobs function as a gain meter. They will wiggle along your music and show the amount of boost/cut.
Then there are the green Amount knobs where you finally can adjust how much the EQ should work. Positive settings will boost, negative will cut.
Finally there are level detecting circuits inside (envelope followers) which require Attack and Release settings. You can set these individually for each band. The default setting should be OK, but in case you hear crackling noises, identify the band and turn up the respective values.

So, this can work as a de-esser, take out boom or harshness, tighten your snare and leave the rest of the mix alone, etc...

Enjoy :)

Edit: I run some measurements and the module is 100% clean in frequency response, phase response, distortion, when all Amounts are set to zero.
And every other setting is what we are looking for anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AndreasD on Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:shock:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

You have out done yourself. I've been wanting a Dynamic EQ for a while. But from the MUX? This is insane!

Thank you very much Andreas! This will surely be used!

Dakkra
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

The remarkable sonic clarity and choice of controls lets me easily explore the distinctive frequencies in complex sounds. It is quite exciting to use!
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Looks fantastic, thanks, will give it a whirl now

Thanks again Andreas ;-)

I could add Mid/Side processing for each of the bands.
Would there be an interest?
If yes, with one knob to choose mid or side for all bands or for each band seperate?
Potentially this would be seperate device, otherwise there would be too many controls.

Andreas

Brilliant tool.

One question, though: Would it be possible to make a 32 band version without sacrificing all CPU power?

I am not saying that YOU should do it - I'm just curious. :)

Wow I missed this one, thanks for the bump! Mulab never ceases to amaze me. Thanks Andreas---

@gylstorff: Yes you can do that. You just copy those red blocks (they are bell eq's, the green are for low shelve, the blue are for high shelve).
So, you do all the copy stuff and the front panel, I will do the crossover for you. Deal ?

Meanwhile there is a slightly updated version of the dynamic eq:
Dyn EQ V2.jpg
What's changed:
- Modulation monitors are used to show what's going on
- input/output meters (quite impotant with effects like this)
- a little knob in the top middle, which, when activated, will give the CHANGES to the output. Meaning you are listening to the things you take away from or add to the original. For me this is helpful to setup things. Especially attack/release times. Plus it can be quite educational

Enjoy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I added a slight twist to the module... Sidechaining.

Feeding a signal into the module will "duck" the corresponding frequencies-bands in the receiving module.

I group all melodic content in my projects and place this module in that group and create a send buss feeding into the dynamic eq module.

Try running your kick, snare and hihat through this and adjust the settings to your liking ... the drums will cut through the mix much better.

BR
Thomas

yeah it would be great if you could mid/side to each of the bands and also to the over all plugin :pray:

Return to “MUTOOLS”