Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

Page 41, probably no one cares (answer on page 26) about what I'm going to say. The bassy chorusy pluck near the beginning of the video is what separated A and B for me, and I thought the filter of A sounded warmer and more analog (btw I own an analog modular synth). Someone earlier in the thread said that it would be more useful to show the clear differences between analog and digital. I could not DISAGREE more! The reason that test would be useless is because Analog does not have to deal with aliasing, problems with audio-rate modulation, etc. Digital doesn't have to deal with cross-modulation, circuit leakage, tuning/drift, temperature sensitivity, noise etc. We know the differences already. What this test proves, and what I've already been realizing, is that analog sound (when it comes to basic/raw/simple patches) is not special just because it uses electricity to make sound. Digital is not special just because it uses 1s and 0s. It's the design of the circuit. It's the design of the code. As we (humanity) get better at creating ear-pleasing digital synth behaviors/qualities, we will begin to forget analog ever sounded better. The sky is the limit for digital, not so for analog. No doubt digital has a bigger potential for creating unique sound or emulating acoustic sound than analog, and that will begin to put a shadow on analog as well. I'd like to release a synth product of my own that furthers this goal.

Urs wrote:no further comment required...
<snip>

Diva does not have any capability to reproduce effects produced by an electronic circuit.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7#p6215447[/quote]

Oh I think I get it: Diva is different from an electronic unit and therefore Diva is different from an electronic unit. This real difference can only be measured in non-subjective terms as demonstrated by the subjective experience of crossover noise and this difference is so significant that you cannot acces it subjectively. The present test is BS because if you only have two options in a test, distribution will always be equal no matter how great the sample. And there are intentionally introduced bias everywhere, well maybe not, but then again, it's there! But none of this really matters because you are all stupid idiots who keep insulting me.

Clear as mud!

Or have I missed something?
"I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."

Last edited by Locus M on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."

Locus M wrote:
Urs wrote:no further comment required...
<snip>

Diva does not have any capability to reproduce effects produced by an electronic circuit.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7#p6215447
Oh I think I get it: Diva is different from an electronic unit and therefore Diva is different from an electronic unit. This real difference can only be measured in non-subjective terms as demonstrated by the subjective experience of crossover noise and this difference is so significant that you cannot acces it subjectively. The present test is BS because if you only have two options in a test, distribution will always be equal no matter how great the sample. And there are intentionally introduced bias everywhere, well maybe not, but then again, it's there! But none of this really matters because you are all stupid idiots who keep insulting me.

Clear as mud!

Or have I missed something
?
I'm putting you in charge of writing the Cliff Notes version. I want Hugh Grant to play me.
Last edited by wagtunes on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The phrase 'mental masturbation' comes to mind when considering some posts in this thread, lol.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:The phrase 'mental masturbation' comes to mind when considering some posts in this thread, lol.
I have noticed you have mentioned masturbation twice now. What exactly is it you are doing while reading this thread?

I find this thread amusing. Though I'm not too easy to please. Therefore I hope someone will now tweak the Oberheim until it matches the Diva patches and make the Oberheim sound better in a test. As a challenge.
Last edited by Hank the Knife on Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Locus M wrote:
braj wrote:The phrase 'mental masturbation' comes to mind when considering some posts in this thread, lol.
I have noticed you have mentioned masturbation twice now. What exactly is it you are doing while reading this thread?
Twice? Really, I should go investigate. When did I mention masturbation before?
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:
Locus M wrote:
Twice? Really, I should go investigate. When did I mention masturbation before?
Someone mentioned a masturbation filter... :lol:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Threads like these should have come with an instruction booklet: the settings used during the tests :)

trimph1 wrote:Someone mentioned a masturbation filter... :lol:
Yup. Wasn't that you braj?

Locus M wrote:
I do not believe I'm that clever, no. :D

(It was Hank the Knife)

Hank the Knife wrote:I find this thread amusing. Though I'm not too easy to please. Therefore I hope someone will now tweak the Oberheim until it matches the Diva patches and make the Oberheim sound better in a test. As a challenge.
Good idea, let's all go and get our Oberheims from the attic :D
A couple of days ago I stumbled over my old Synclavier in the basement :roll:

braj wrote:
Locus M wrote:

(It was Hank the Knife)
Oh. Sorry then. In either case, let's keep it out of it and save it for some dedicated sites.

Locus M wrote:
braj wrote:
Locus M wrote:

(It was Hank the Knife)
Oh. Sorry then. In either case, let's keep it out of it and save it for some dedicated sites.
OK Mr Policeman, whatever you say.

Return to “Instruments”