Hardware synth with a VST clone that imports and exports sysex (or compatible patches)?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was looking at the Virus which has a VST and patch manager that goes with it. As I understand it, it channels the sound through a VST, but I was hoping for something that was a standalone VST (for workflow issues) that can import and export sysex (or can manage the patches in some way). I was hoping for something more complex. I think the DiscoDSP Discovery Pro is probably more what I am looking for, but I guess I would have to tread carefully if designing a patch on the computer because it has extra features that were not part of the original hardware.

Requirements TL;DR:
  • The VST can be paid or free, I don't care.
  • 32 bit or 64 bit, I don't care.
  • The VST must run in standalone without the hardware.
  • Sysex or patch import and export.
So the list I have so far of synths that do import/export:

DiscoDSP Discovery Pro
Dexed
PG-8X
VirtualCZ

Are there any that I am missing?

Hi mridlen, I was searching for the same thing. For now I just can add two more machines: Novation K-Station together with V-Station and Roland System-1 together with System-1 plug-out vst/au. Keep on searching! :)

- Korg Wavestation plugin : could import hardware Wavestation Sysex

- Prophet 5 plugin from Arturia Prophet V2 : could import Prophet 5 Sysex files
- Prophet VS plugin from Arturia Prophet V2 : could import Prophet VS files but will not import custom waveforms (besides ROM wacveforms) properly

- SQ8L : import/export of Ensoniq ESQ-1 and Ensoniq SQ-80 Sysex. also seems to be usable as an editor

- NI FM8 : could import Sysex files from DX7 and AFAIK from some other Yamaha FM synths

- NI Monark : no direct import of Minimoog patches but the paramaters are fully compatible so reprogramming patch sheets is quite simple (maybe with a few patches a little tweaking is necessary).
You could check this for a free re-programmed bank:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2#p5954222
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Didn't know SQ8L could export Sysex.
Learned something useful today. Thanks Ingo.

Ridan wrote:Didn't know SQ8L could export Sysex.
Learned something useful today. Thanks Ingo.
You couold import/export ESQ-1/SQ-80 banks, import/export programs and also send patches to the hardware and vice versa. So the plugin seems to be also usable as an editor.

One issue i had found when compared to my Ensoniq ESQ-1 is that the SQ8L filter at higher resonance amnount looses a lot of low end which is also due to the plugin being quite old already. At no Reonance or low amounts the low end seems to be OK and the sound is close to the real thing.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

The Roland System-1 with its plug-outs.

AudioRealism ReDominator can import MKS50/Alpha Juno sysex patches
I think IL Sytrus can import DX7 sysex patches (Although the UI is now that small it is hard to use, FM8 is much better
Duh

May i ask a question, why do you need that?

p.s. Image-Line Sytrus, FM7/8

Elektronisch wrote:May i ask a question, why do you need that?
Many free banks (and commercial ones) are avaiable as Sysex banks but not in the plugin format, except if someone alraedy converted them.

For example i got commercial banks for Prophet and Prophet VS that could be loaded with Arturia Prophet V2.

I also got a commercial Ensoniq ESQ-1 bank that i could load in both my hardware ESQ-1 and the SQ8L plugin.
I received the ESQ-1 with a ROM cartridge that contains 320 patches in 8 banks, i exported those as Sysex files and could load them in SQ8L now.

Of course there are synths like DX7 and Wavestation where you could find tons of free Sysex banks out there.
Ingo Weidner

Komplexer can load MicroQ patches
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Komplexer can load MicroQ patches
Are those still available online? I remember Terratec linked to a online repository where you could (legitimately) download them, but unfortunately, the site is down since years.

chk071 wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Komplexer can load MicroQ patches
Are those still available online? I remember Terratec linked to a online repository where you could (legitimately) download them, but unfortunately, the site is down since years.
Dont know, was lucky to get a new boxed copy for cheapness.
It sounds excellent
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Elektronisch wrote:May i ask a question, why do you need that?

p.s. Image-Line Sytrus, FM7/8
The idea, for me, is to have the "real thing" to program, experiment and perform. But when you need to compose and make an arrangement on your DAW there's always a lack of polyphony and/or multitimbrality from your hardware. Might be interesting to have a perfect software clone of your hard synth to avoid you from these limits. The only limit will be the power of your CPU! Think about this: what if Arturia makes the software replica of its upcoming "Matrixbrute"? An analog dreamachine, unfortunately only monophonic. You could have fun with the big beast, and then use the vsti/au clone to compose and arrange in full polyphony, and finally export your whole project (somehow) using again the real analog source, not bad uh? ;)

DiscoDSP Phantom Yamaha Dx27/Dx21/DX100/TX81 sysex

https://ctrlr.org/

Head over to the panels section to see what synths it can be used with.

Return to “Instruments”