Fabfilter ProC 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

...duplicate...
Last edited by RafaelMorgan on Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plexuss wrote: What kinds of signals are you running through C2? or do you just want me to try various types and see if I get artifacts? remember not all artifacts are "bad" - many plugins attempt to re-create artifacts that "sound good". i know that Q1 sounds more "transparent" than Q2 and FF agree (see their forum). it could be the artifacts are there to emulate pleasing hardware artifacts.
I am just finishing up a track where I am using C2 a lot. once its done I will try some testing and see what I come up with.
Try a 1K sine wave to start with, then try a sweep to verify its behavior under different frequencies...and yes, I suppose I know the difference between aliasing and harmonics, but since I'm no expert in this kind of analysis, I may be doing something wrong (although I believe it's unlikely).

I also did some comparative tests between C1 and C2 and the first appears to be cleaner indeed, by the way.

Good luck with your mix and let me know if you decide to run some tests.
Last edited by RafaelMorgan on Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

comfortablynick wrote:
e@rs wrote:MJUC it's a great product. But unusable for me CPU wise: MJUC 12%, Pro-C2 2-3% (even lower usage than Pro-C1).
MJUC is definitely heavier on the CPU than most comps, but I get nowhere near those numbers in Reaper on my 4-year old i7 machine (with HQ, density and drive ON):
  • Mk 1: 1.6%
  • Mk 2: 1.2%
  • Mk 3: 1.3%
I believe the percentage is a little bit higher on my iMac i5 at home, but not much. How in the world is MJUC using 12% of a processor? I don't think I've ever used any plugin that was that CPU-hungry. I think Nebula has been the most "unusable" for me in that regard.

As far as Pro-C 2 goes, yes it is very CPU efficient. Once again on my i7 machine:
  • Non-Oversampling: 0.2%
  • 2x Oversampling: 0.6%
  • 4x Oversampling: 1.0%
Pro-C measures lower on my machine (stays at 0.1%) but the jump to 0.2% is worth it for me using Pro-C 2.

Nick
I only got a 2008 C2D @ 2.66GHz. And it's not only MJUC. All Klanghelm products behave similarly. Even the free ones are too much for it.

RafaelMorgan wrote: Besides my own ears, I'm just sandwiching Pro C 2 between Studio One's native tone generator and spectrum analyzer (using the highest possible FFT resolution), experimenting with different tone frequencies, compressor ratios, attack/release times, etc...

I'm also comparing it to Studio One's native compressor, TDR Feeback Compressor II and ReaComp on similar settings, with much cleaner results from them. Will compare to other compressors later when I have the time. So far, TDR Feedback Compressor is the winner here, as the cleanest compressor I've ever tested.
Thanks to the latest Logic 10.2 Feedback Compressor II works again.

Ouch! Another one I can't use due to the CPU usage. :dog:

I dont know what kind of cpus you guys got...but its not 2006 anymore that you can run 1 or 2x ProC2s? Ive got medium level CPU- i7 4790 and 1 instance of ProC2 takes away 0.9% without oversampling and 2% with 4x oversampling ...thats almost nothing. Managed to load 50 instances and cpu was on around 11% because of good multithreading capabilities of the software and hardware.

HcDoom wrote:I dont know what kind of cpus you guys got...but its not 2006 anymore that you can run 1 or 2x ProC2s? Ive got medium level CPU- i7 4790 and 1 instance of ProC2 takes away 0.9% without oversampling and 2% with 4x oversampling ...thats almost nothing. Managed to load 50 instances and cpu was on around 11% because of good multithreading capabilities of the software and hardware.
The CPU conversation was about other non-Pro C 2 plugins. Pro C 2 from what I've was the most efficient even on the older systems.

Daimonicon wrote:I was thinking sell, or trade C1 for Saturn, here in kvr soon. What a misstake that would have been. :dog:
Live and learn :dog:
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

I appreciate this thread more.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

Only problem I have with PC2 is that it has too many meters.

I mean, seriously... my F35 has less meters :D
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Just press 'Display'.
They'll go away.

e@rs wrote:Ouch! Another one I can't use due to the CPU usage. :dog:

you better buy a cpu insteed of buying plugins..i would take freeware/ low priced plugs with good cpu anyday.

i really don't understand the guys who buy all the latest plugins but still use a old computer .

^You got it all :ud:. I'm HAPPY with Pro-C 2 CPU usage. In your quote I was talking about Feedback Compressor II (which is... FREE).

And I actually enjoy a lot buying the latest plugins while I very much hate buying computer parts... :wink:

Fred_Abstract wrote:
e@rs wrote:Ouch! Another one I can't use due to the CPU usage. :dog:

you better buy a cpu insteed of buying plugins..i would take freeware/ low priced plugs with good cpu anyday.

i really don't understand the guys who buy all the latest plugins but still use a old computer .
If things were that easy...

Especially as I prefer laptop producing it's a heavy task to find an adquate machine configured for my needs (and for a resonable price). That may be different for desktop machines.

And then all that re-installing, re-authorizing, re-configuring...

2ZrgE wrote:
Fred_Abstract wrote: you better buy a cpu insteed of buying plugins..i would take freeware/ low priced plugs with good cpu anyday.

If things were that easy...

Especially as I prefer laptop producing it's a heavy task to find an adquate machine configured for my needs (and for a resonable price). That may be different for desktop machines.

And then all that re-installing, re-authorizing, re-configuring...
I don't think it's that expensive to find laptops that can run the type of plugins we're discussing. It would really suck if I couldn't run ten instances of MJUC or one or two instances of free plugins like Kotelnikov and Slick EQ.

The reinstall issues you mention are true but that really must be done on a Windows machine from time-to-time anyway to keep it running well. It's a necessary evil IMO. If you do it enough it's not that difficult.

Nick

Return to “Effects”