Feeling a lack of direction/focus...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sometimes I get really inspired, like last month I got a creative burst and busted out half a dozen songs in like a week.

But generally I feel kind of overwhelmed with my music-making, too much information overload from trying to learn how to become a better producer.

I really wish I could afford to go to music school so I could learn more discipline and get better feedback and feel like I have half a clue what I'm doing.

I feel like I have natural talent but it's like I'm missing some key elements of the music making to make songs that really connect with people at a deeper level.

Music is my passion and I would like to do more with it than just make it a hobby, I would like to create stuff that people really resonate with.

I just don't know how to structure my life to where I can really make measurable progress.

I don't have a family or day job to distract me so really I can obsess over my passion as much as I want to, but I'm not sure how to come up with a battle plan for what to do with my time. I kind of want to make music my "day job" moreso than just a hobby.

I ordered a MicroBrute which hasn't arrived yet but I'm really hoping that will break me out of this rut I feel like I'm in, where I can really learn more about sound design. I have Syntorial which is great but I find it hard to stay motivated to go through the lessons.

I uploaded a bunch of stuff to Blend to see if I could find some friends to collaborate with but it seems like most people don't use the same DAW/plugins that I do.

I'm trying to participate in contests/challenges. I signed up for the song-a-week challenge on Reddit to ensure that I'm at least making a new song every week so I can get in the habit of making new songs. I've also been doing the One Synth Challenge here on KVR but I find that I get sensitive to the whole judging process because I feel like my stuff doesn't resonate that well.

Ideally I'd like to forge some sort of career out of the music making, maybe make music for video games or something. I've also tried to get in to do some open-source development since I have programming skills but I'm finding that much easier said than done.

So I'm just feeling a little lost and depressed at the moment, not trying to complain since for most people it would be a dream come true to be able to work on music all day, and I do feel that way sometimes but it's hard to stay tapped into that energy.
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

8)

Well here are my thoughts..
#1) OSC is hard but worth it. From the feedback I've received, from both other contestants as well as RL friends, after 2 years of concerted effort (preceded by many years of variable effort), I'm starting to make noticeable progress in producing.

#2) Making a career out of any creative passion has a high risk of ruining its enjoyment. To make a living at something, you have to do it in such a way that others are willing to pay you for it. That essentially entails selling out. For some successful artists, it instead means working 200% harder than at a regular job. Of course, the music industry is particularly challenging right now; while the top 1% make a killing, they are both rare and seem to have rigorous touring schedules. The ever-lower barriers to entry create more competition and lower payouts (thinking Spotify etc.) than ever. Obviously, it'd be a shame if no one took the risk; just keep your eyes open if you choose to jump in headfirst.

#3) GAS doesn't help. Less is *definitely* more. New toys are fun, but distracting. :wheee: OSC has great balance built in: one new toy every month, plus optionally a few fx, but the framework is steady, and the limitations are liberating. Before OSC, I'd have a different synth on each track in my productions, and as a result never learned any of them in depth. :dog:

#4) Focusing on the one hardware synth for awhile is a great idea. That's how I learned subtractive synthesis in depth, years before OSC even existed, working my way through the CS1x Blue Book. :tu:

#5) Specific to your tracks... "Always have a middle eight". That's from a movie... probably "Inside Llewyn Davis"... but it's so true. Again, balance; in this case, repetition versus variation, both at the arrangement level and within parts (e.g. filter sweeps, chord changes, melodic progression, and more stuff I'm not good at yet). There is a great book: This is Your Brain on Music

HTH, YMMV, etc.

Have you tried collaborating with other musicians? That usually helps me get the fuel pumping again.

My observations of the original post: you speak of wanting to become a better producer, instead of a better musician. The computer with all of this handy software provides a tremendous temptation and if you're not careful fosters almost a delusional mindset, that you're about to get all of these ducks in a row at once. You're going to 'produce' prolifically and maybe sound design mastery is on the horizon... but you quite realize "I'm missing some key elements of the music making".

I don't know you, and there is a chance I have misgauged you, but I do get the sense that what you're thirsty for, what you need is to practice <music-making> by hand and hone chops on an instrument, and work in real time in a room with other human beings for a few yrs or decades. Rather than everything on a computer, even your notion of collaboration is that you're looking online. You shouldn't have time to be depressed, there's so much to learn, so much experience to look forward to! Relax, it takes quite some time in becoming.

SoundGoddess wrote:Sometimes I get really inspired, like last month I got a creative burst and busted out half a dozen songs in like a week.
Excellent! And that's how it usually goes for many of us. A week or two where you can't get the ideas down fast enough...followed by four weeks where you wonder if you'll ever come up with anything again.
SoundGoddess wrote:But generally I feel kind of overwhelmed with my music-making, too much information overload from trying to learn how to become a better producer.
It will come. We all feel overwhelmed at times. And if it happens when you're already feeling down because you haven't come up with anything good in a week, it seems even worse, and you want to give up.

Do not give up.

I just had to resort to offering strangers on Twitter $6 if they'll help me write something. That's how desperate I am. And you know how many people took me up on that? None! No one wants $6!
SoundGoddess wrote:I really wish I could afford to go to music school so I could learn more discipline and get better feedback and feel like I have half a clue what I'm doing.
Music schools can help, but there are a lot of resources on-line (like this one, and SoundCloud) where you can get feedback. And you probably already have more of "a clue what you're doing" than you give yourself credit for.

There are also free music courses available from MIT and Coursera that may help (or, at least, inspire) you. And come on...admit it: you'd love to tell people you "took classes at MIT". :wink:
SoundGoddess wrote:I feel like I have natural talent but it's like I'm missing some key elements of the music making to make songs that really connect with people at a deeper level.

Music is my passion and I would like to do more with it than just make it a hobby, I would like to create stuff that people really resonate with.
How do you know you don't connect with people, or that what you create doesn't resonate with them? I used to be hesitant to share my stuff. I never thought anyone would like it. But posting it on SC (more or less "anonymously") has shown me that people all over the world want to hear what I create. My family and friends? Not so much. But that's okay. There are 7 billion others on this planet I can still try to reach. One of them will be moved.
SoundGoddess wrote:I uploaded a bunch of stuff to Blend to see if I could find some friends to collaborate with but it seems like most people don't use the same DAW/plugins that I do.

I'm trying to participate in contests/challenges. I signed up for the song-a-week challenge on Reddit to ensure that I'm at least making a new song every week so I can get in the habit of making new songs. I've also been doing the One Synth Challenge here on KVR but I find that I get sensitive to the whole judging process because I feel like my stuff doesn't resonate that well.
Most people probably don't have the same DAW you have (whatever that is). No one seems to have the same one I have (Sonar), and I've been actively asking for "collaborators" for three years! But unless you all-but force yourself into a project with them, it can be difficult, I've found.

Try not to be too sensitive if you're judged. Some people on here seem to delight in tearing down others. But most of us try to help wherever we can.
SoundGoddess wrote:So I'm just feeling a little lost and depressed at the moment, not trying to complain since for most people it would be a dream come true to be able to work on music all day, and I do feel that way sometimes but it's hard to stay tapped into that energy.
That "energy" takes a lot to maintain. And it can be draining at times. But that's okay. Let it drain you once in a while, and accept that your batteries will recharge and you will feel "energized" again, soon enough.

Just don't give up.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

So many practical suggestions! Some more are in the book:
Making Music: 74 Creative Strategies for Electronic Music Producers. Its focused on getting past creative blocks at different stages in the production process. You can read part of it free online (published by Ableton but not about that DAW), and get an ebook to read on your computer for $8.85 USD:
https://makingmusic.ableton.com
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

planetearth wrote:There are also free music courses available from MIT and Coursera that may help.
^ This.

I've never considered myself a musician, but I am so passionate about music that two years ago I thought I'd see what I could create. And there were a lot of times that I felt stuck the way the you describe.

Since then, I've taken several Coursera courses (taking one now, in fact). Some of these classes completely changed the way I think about music. One of them was focused on Blues, another on the Beethoven sonatas. Together, those classes taught me how composers make decisions about the structure of the music they create. It let me have a little peek at these musical traditions and gave me ideas about small things I could change in my own Industrial/Techno/Minimal compositions.

Now, I always have two or three songs in work. And I finish every one of them (eventually). The musicality of my compositions has improved dramatically and I get a lot more positive feedback on Blend and SoundCloud because of it.

The classes are free. If you're in a creative rut right now, you have nothing to lose.

Thanks everyone for the advice...I do really appreciate it. You'll help keep me going. :tu:

One of my songs got featured on clyp! Not sure how their featured songs work, but it must be resonating with some people :) It happens to be the song I've been working on last night, been practicing some new melody on it.

I'm still trying to figure out my workflow, I notice I'll get into a groove with improv and everything will sound great when I'm jamming out but as soon as I hit the record button I get a bit anxious and it's hard to capture the moment.

I started reading the War of Art that someone on here suggested...seems like good stuff.

I also decided to go to the Armin van Buuren concert next weekend so hopefully being around the EDM community a bit will recharge my batteries.

@RichieWitch - thanks, I've taken Coursera classes before but it's been a couple of years.
@Michael L - I'll check out that book too when I get a chance.
Excellent! And that's how it usually goes for many of us. A week or two where you can't get the ideas down fast enough...followed by four weeks where you wonder if you'll ever come up with anything again.
I guess it's just about ebb and flow...
Do not give up.
yeah I'm going to keep on pushing :)
There are also free music courses available from MIT and Coursera that may help (or, at least, inspire) you. And come on...admit it: you'd love to tell people you "took classes at MIT". :wink:
hehe yeah I have taken a few Coursera classes but nothing from MIT, sounds pretty fun.
Most people probably don't have the same DAW you have (whatever that is). No one seems to have the same one I have (Sonar), and I've been actively asking for "collaborators" for three years! But unless you all-but force yourself into a project with them, it can be difficult, I've found.
Yeah I use Bitwig Studio...the new kid on the block...if I used Ableton or FL I probably would get more collaborators. But I don't really like FL's workflow and Ableton is out of my budget range. So it's harder to find collaborators...I've done a couple songs collab but then it seems like it kind of fizzles out.
That "energy" takes a lot to maintain. And it can be draining at times. But that's okay. Let it drain you once in a while, and accept that your batteries will recharge and you will feel "energized" again, soon enough.
thank you, I'll keep that in mind :)
you speak of wanting to become a better producer, instead of a better musician.
Well I just feel like I'm more of a studio type than a performer type. It would be fun to be in a band or something but my desire is to put together studio tracks that resonate with people. I'm probably too introverted to do live performance, although jamming out with some other people would be a lot of fun.
Have you tried collaborating with other musicians? That usually helps me get the fuel pumping again.
I'm trying, I have a bunch of projects on Blend. Some people have pulled them but nobody's posted any remixes. I do like chatting with people thru instant message or texting even if we don't end up collaborating. I did meet someone on SoundCloud and he was in town visiting family so we went to dinner so I actually got some face time with him.
#1) OSC is hard but worth it. From the feedback I've received, from both other contestants as well as RL friends, after 2 years of concerted effort (preceded by many years of variable effort), I'm starting to make noticeable progress in producing.
I hear you but I'm just not sure that I want to keep investing time into it. Maybe I'll do like 3 or 4 a year but I don't see myself doing it every month.
#2) Making a career out of any creative passion has a high risk of ruining its enjoyment. To make a living at something, you have to do it in such a way that others are willing to pay you for it. That essentially entails selling out.
True...it just depends on the circumstances really. I'd be interested in making video game or soundtrack type music, but probably not in making music for advertising. I'd also be interested in getting my songs into some DJ sets. Also I wouldn't mind learning skills to be a sound designer or whatever, I think it could be a fun job to be an audio engineer or VST software developer. I think there must be ways to make a living in the industry without necessarily becoming trapped in bad circumstances.
#5) Specific to your tracks... "Always have a middle eight". That's from a movie... probably "Inside Llewyn Davis"... but it's so true. Again, balance; in this case, repetition versus variation, both at the arrangement level and within parts (e.g. filter sweeps, chord changes, melodic progression, and more stuff I'm not good at yet). There is a great book: This is Your Brain on Music
[/quote]

Thanks I ordered a copy of the book :)
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

I agree that it would probably help considerably to work on your skills as a musician. I don't think you mentioned if you play an instrument, or what your musical background is. I may be assuming too much here. But playing an instrument isn't about live performance vs. studio recording. Becoming competent on an instrument will improve your sense of melody, rhythm, chord progressions, and fundamental understanding of music. It will also allow you to explore and express your musical ideas much faster.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Always be aware/beware of the learning curve. All the new gear and new ideas take time to be learned. And that's time that you might not otherwise have. Stay focused on the musical task at hand, and it will all get easier, as long as you are in the mood to work. Peace and good luck.
Download & play soothing music: https://soundcloud.com/wait_codec

Mike Monday made a course on creativity and productivity. He's quite a successful producer himself so he's worth listening to:

http://startnowfinishfast.net/snff-regi ... ish%20Fast

I had the benefit of learning to play music before the explosion of technology. I had a piano on which I could practice. No options. No menus. No buttons, sliders, knobs, anything. 88 keys and me. And I practiced. 3-4 hours every day, week in week out, year after year.

When I was in high school, the music department brought in a profession big band for day-long workshop and then a concert that night. Sitting with the piano player, he said something that has stuck with me for the last 35 years. He said, "Try everything." Music theory is important, but there are things that sound good despite what theory says. Experimentation is as important as learning. I have practiced with that in mind for decades now and it has made me the musician/composer I am now. I am comfortable with creation, and I am satisfied with what I create. It may not work for everyone, but it has worked for me.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

I actually did go to sound engineering college. And I used to have piano lessons for about a decade too. But I still have times where I have a lack of direction or focus. My education taught me the basic principles, but it didn't educate me on the styles of music that I like most listening to or composing. So I'm still self-taught for a lot.

Lately I feel overwhelmed by all the sonic choices in my softwares and sample library. It was actually easier when I only had 16 synth sounds, maybe 40 drum sounds and 50 effects. And my first hard disk recorder could only record 4 tracks. Now everything is so nearly unlimited that it takes a lot of effort to get to a standard kit and pallette that I like.
Download & play soothing music: https://soundcloud.com/wait_codec

That's a good point. Around 15 years ago, I made a sample set of my TR-909 and used it for everything I did. I also had a Cubase template that I started every song with. In hindsight, that was one of my more prolific periods.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”