is my cpu running a bit too hot ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

so pushing the cpu to 70 degrees c for long periods of time will fry the chip ?

also another weird problem occurred.

when the cpu is running at full (3.4 ghz ) i get a whining sound coming through my soundcard. After enabling cool n quite, the cpu is running at 800 mhz and the noise goes down alot. ?

another problem to look at :cry:

I think I have that problem too, but it's pretty quiet. Sometimes when I move my mouse I can hear it through the onboard soundcard. Do you have an audio interface to try?

It`s a pci card Terratec dmx6fire with breakout box.

It looks like some kind of earth problem maybe. I took out the breakbout box and the problem is still there. On my old computer when i took out the box the noise went away. Could be power supply related ?

i`ve just done the northbridge chip also. With new thermal paste

Best

Rob

3 things:

1.) Get a good aftermarket cooler like this one, cheap and very good.

2.) Your CPU won't be running at 100% all the time, so don't worry about frying the chip.

3.) That whine is probably your PSU.

i think i will take your advice and buy a new cooler.
Might go with a high end thermaltake model though.

I might get a new power supply too and the old one is 15 years old.
:o

Last week I opened up the case of my desktop pc for a spring clean and de dust of all fan blades, including the stock cooler that came with the i72600 chip, put it back together and all seemed well.
Next time I switched on, for some unknown reason, I decided to boot into bios and found the cpu temp in the red. Turns out I had dislodged one of the locking gizmos so the fan wasn't seated correctly. Panic? Just a little.

All good now though.
:hihi:
Last edited on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
:dog: :hihi: :lol:

OutCider wrote:Turns out I had dislodged one of the locking gizmos so the fan wasn't seated correctly. Panic? Just a little.

All good now though.
You should consider reapplying thermal paste before long, just to be on the safe side. It should be done every 2 year or so, some say. My laptop is running hotter now than before. It's not a small task to reapply thermal paste, but I think that is what I must to get it cooler. On my desktop though, it is quite easy.

Thermal paste is cheap, but essential for cool operation.

Yeah, carefully scraped the old stuff off and put a pea size dollop on when I noticed the fan had come away.
:hihi:
Last edited on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
:dog: :hihi: :lol:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”