What is the good "affordable" vst synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ridan wrote:No one's mentioned Sunrizer? :?
http://www.beepstreet.com/plugins/sunrizer
Currently checking the demo and the first impression is quite good indeed. CPU use seems to be very low.

Somehow i seemed to ignore this, maybe as i thought it would be only available for OSX (originally it seemed to be done for the iPad). The current demo version works nicely in Windows 10 64-bit here. looks like it's the same plugin as the full version and the demo could be unlockecked with a serial.

Except the additional Arp/sequencer parameters/settings it has a nice one page design. Not a super-complex synth but nice for what is including a very nice sounding JP-8000 Supersaw implementation and many filter modes.

Current price is 45 € without VAT (additionally 19% VAT here in Germany).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Buy NI Massive second hand. This will do the job. But yeah, it's complex, but still easy to use.

Synthmaster is a really full-featured synth, but honestly, I feel like it sounds really thin and weak. Good for ethereal sounds, not so good for basses and leads or more aggressive sounds.

Been really pleased with u-he Hive, and that will likely be my next sound set. Big sound, very little CPU drain.

Also, Sonic Academy's A.N.A. is severely underrated in my opinion. It's a bit lofi, but in a good way. Reminds me almost of a modern version of the Ensoniq SQ-80. I think it's $49?
-Tom

https://assemblage23.bandcamp.com
http:/helix.bandcamp.com

I've just seen you can get Diversion for 89$ at the moment: http://www.dmitrysches.com/diversion

That's quite a steal. If you have a strong CPU you definitely need to get this one.

tshear23 wrote:Synthmaster is a really full-featured synth, but honestly, I feel like it sounds really thin and weak. Good for ethereal sounds, not so good for basses
Hmm, in my opinion Synthmaster exactly excels in bass domain. Have you played with filters' distrortion? Make me a good bass in Hive without internal and external effects and I will do no less in Synthmaster. Syntmaster is not as snappy as Hive though.

You mentioned affordable. Well hows this for a suggestion.
Buy hybrid3 $150 and then Trash2 which is now reduced at $100

The reason; Hybrid has more presets than probably any synth out there but it lacks bite. Trash can give you that and make everything upfront just bring down the distortion and use the convolution. You can get some amazing sounds with the 2 and both would cost less than your average synth.
I highly recommend you try em if you want a real high end sound.

Kinh wrote: Buy hybrid3 $150 and then Trash2 which is now reduced at $100
I can vouch for Hybrid 3 but don't buy it at $150. It's often on sale at $49, can be found for peanuts on the marketplace, is bundled with <$150 hardware, but the best deal is to get it with the AIEP upgrade.

Igro wrote:
tshear23 wrote:Synthmaster is a really full-featured synth, but honestly, I feel like it sounds really thin and weak. Good for ethereal sounds, not so good for basses
Hmm, in my opinion Synthmaster exactly excels in bass domain. Have you played with filters' distrortion? Make me a good bass in Hive without internal and external effects and I will do no less in Synthmaster. Syntmaster is not as snappy as Hive though.
Checkout these Synthmaster presets Insigna made, he also made the demo:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/136 ... gMarks.mp3

8)

Wouldn't call that exactly "fat" either though (try the same sounds with Monark and see :)). Also, it depends what kind of basses. Bülent said they're working to make Synthmaster more snappy, obviously (at least that's what i gathered from his posts), the envelopes are a bit slow, and they're gonna be made more quick. What i find really cool about KV331 audio is that they really listen to what's being posted here, and, if they agree with it, make the respective adjustment to the synth. :tu:

tshear23 wrote:Synthmaster is a really full-featured synth, but honestly, I feel like it sounds really thin and weak. Good for ethereal sounds, not so good for basses and leads or more aggressive sounds.
I'd agree... I think it's a great sounding synth for some material, but for bass or aggressive tones (as you said) it doesn't really hold it's own against the competition imho.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Another great underrated synth/container is Korg Legacy Cell. It can produce really big sounds. It can be used for Trance as well.
It needs Poly-six, MS-20 and MDE-X to be installed first.
Programming poly-six is easy but MS-20 is challenging.

i think massive as a first synth is a horrible idea as you'll be spending tons of TIME searching for useable sounds as its shy on pads and heavy on the blink-blonk and other odd fx-type noises. you want diversity fatness and ease-of-use and with loads of bread-and-butter presets....not a ton of otherwordly gobbledy-gook which you can spend days trying to get to sound like an actual instrument.
in that sense i'd go with sunrizer....i don't own it but i soon will. anytime you can get 400 presets in a machine so tightly organized pretty and easy to comprehend yet versatile and sounds good?....for $50? thanks to the guy who brought this little gem to my attention!
i used to always push the envelope...until someone showed me a letter-opener.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1zHly4zwgI

tshear23 wrote:Synthmaster is a really full-featured synth, but honestly, I feel like it sounds really thin and weak. Good for ethereal sounds, not so good for basses and leads or more aggressive sounds.
It's great for basses and aggressive sounds. I thought the very same about it being weak when I first tried it, but it takes bit trying to tickle the beast out from it. Works a bit different than other synths I've used.

GHOST19 wrote: I can vouch for Hybrid 3 but don't buy it at $150. It's often on sale at $49, can be found for peanuts on the marketplace
Just saw it at marketplace for 15$

mcc> wrote:i think massive as a first synth is a horrible idea as you'll be spending tons of TIME searching for useable sounds as its shy on pads and heavy on the blink-blonk and other odd fx-type noises. you want diversity fatness and ease-of-use and with loads of bread-and-butter presets....not a ton of otherwordly gobbledy-gook which you can spend days trying to get to sound like an actual instrument.
in that sense i'd go with sunrizer....i don't own it but i soon will. anytime you can get 400 presets in a machine so tightly organized pretty and easy to comprehend yet versatile and sounds good?....for $50? thanks to the guy who brought this little gem to my attention!
Just demoed it week ago. Great little synth with practically no cpu use :D Would've bought it but I already have Hive so I really don't think it could give me anything Hive doesn't already give.

Return to “Instruments”