Thoughts on the 3 new Live 9.5 synths (Poli, Bass, Multi)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am curious to know what everyone thinks about the three new synths introduced in 9.5—most of all, would you consider using them over other comparable synths?

I haven't had a chance to check them out myself, as my Push 2 is awaiting arrival, however, I'm fairly impressed by the short samples on the official site. The Bass synth, in particular, really sounds promising.

Thanks for sharing any perspectives.

Do they still use only that native ui strip at the bottom? For all of Abletons' stuff that is the worst bit, or at least it used to be. Any progress on that front?
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:Do they still use only that native ui strip at the bottom? For all of Abletons' stuff that is the worst bit, or at least it used to be. Any progress on that front?
I'm a new Live convert, so I'm not sure what UI element you're describing or if it can be configured.

Yup, they're M4L devices that fit into the standard Live GUI. Ie, they fit into the device window below the session/arrangement view. Don't really have a problem with it myself, it's actually quite handy as you see everything right in front of you without having to open a window.
As for the question, I didn't really had a chance yet to play with them...

Just tried out Bass yesterday (finally got around to updating Max), and it's pretty powerful. Nothing I don't already have elsewhere, but it's got some real heft and gnarl, quite a contender, especially for those starting out with few synths in their portfolio. Anyone with Diva, Monark, TAL or others won't need to give it a second look, however.

Forgot they were even there.

They're actually pretty cool. I'm not much of a Live synth user, but I could see these occasionally making their way into my stuff.

braj wrote:Do they still use only that native ui strip at the bottom? For all of Abletons' stuff that is the worst bit, or at least it used to be. Any progress on that front?
That's the part I love more about Live, I hate having to close/open windows all the time.
dedication to flying

It'd be great if they could incorporate an integrated "pop-up" view for Max instruments in Live, like they do for the waveform display in Simpler.

There's already a popup window method in Max but it isn't integrated into Live's panes the way Simpler is.

I think the new Max synths sound superb. Also check out Kasio by Oli Larkin, similar to the VirtualCZ he did as a VSTi.

~Pd~ wrote:It'd be great if they could incorporate an integrated "pop-up" view for Max instruments in Live, like they do for the waveform display in Simpler.

There's already a popup window method in Max but it isn't integrated into Live's panes the way Simpler is.

I think the new Max synths sound superb. Also check out Kasio by Oli Larkin, similar to the VirtualCZ he did as a VSTi.
I think if they could do that with all of their bundled synths and devices as makes sense. I loved the EQ for that. I remember trying to program Analog and just feeling the gui was too small. Imagine if they were able to use that space to put every control up on screen, big and inviting. Anyhow, so much for how they look, how do they sound?
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Kind of boring uninspiring interface, makes most Rack Extensions look like works of art in comparison. Can't Ableton try to go outside their rigid design standard sooner rather than later

I don't mind a standard UI that fits into a specific corner -- you learn it quickly and one less thing to worry about.

Don't forget the new Drum Synth. From a brief session with it I was pretty impressed. The new Bass and Poly Synths sound good too.

I really like ABleton plugins for clarity - everything is in place and you know what to expect from it.

New synths sound OK and are easy to operate, though I didn't use them in a production yet. But someday will have to try ;)
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on them so far.
thecontrolcentre wrote:Don't forget the new Drum Synth. From a brief session with it I was pretty impressed. The new Bass and Poly Synths sound good too.
Yes! The kick drum. Looking forward to trying that out too.

Return to “Instruments”