Arturia Matrix 12 vs Jupiter 8?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I played a bit with Arturia... Matrix 12 and Jupiter 8 v2. Unfortunately the Jupiter 8 demo runs only 20min so it's not so easy to compare them. With this very short time I could create a similar sound and IMO the Matrix sounds better.

What is you experience between Arturia Matrix 12 / Jupiter 8?

4damind wrote:I played a bit with Arturia... Matrix 12 and Jupiter 8 v2. Unfortunately the Jupiter 8 demo runs only 20min so it's not so easy to compare them. With this very short time I could create a similar sound and IMO the Matrix sounds better.

What is you experience between Arturia Matrix 12 / Jupiter 8?
Knowing and having worked with both the original machines, my experience was that the Oberheim Matrix-12 sounded better then the Roland Jupiter-8, so... :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

Agree with fmr. I have both of these Arturia instruments, and the Matrix-12 has a better sound to me ears than the Jupiter-8.

I think fmr point was that since the original Matrix-12 sounds better than Jupiter-8, it is only logical that the virtual version of the Matrix-12 sounds better than Jupiter-8, I think. ;)

And also this is quite subjective, isn't it? What is "better" in this case? For what kind of sounds? They sound different, with Jupiter-8 sounding a bit mellower, typically Roland. ;)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

That may very have been what fmr was referring to, dunno. I was referring to the sound of Arturia's soft synths. I never laid my hands on a real Matrix and the Jupiter 8 was out of my price range back in the day... But I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

The Jupiter 8 has a certain sound character of its own, although it is hard to describe. but I know it from so many 80's songs, mostly British ones.

But I have no idea what the signature sound of the Matrix 12 is, I assume too few people have used it in order for it to be as particular and well-known as the Jupiter 8.

I like them both for different reasons. The Matrix is a programming monster though (in a good way). Lots of possiblities in there even beyond what the virtual Jupiter has to offer. They have demos for both don't they?

jdoo wrote:Agree with fmr. I have both of these Arturia instruments, and the Matrix-12 has a better sound to me ears than the Jupiter-8.
Could be that JP8V was released in 2007, while M12V was put out only last year

If i had to choose it would be the Matrix-12v

It sounds quite lovely. It might not be as hands on as the Jupiter-8V though.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:It sounds quite lovely. It might not be as hands on as the Jupiter-8V though.
It is a lot more hands on than the JP8V, because on M12V a user can actually read what the controls are about :hihi:

Numanoid wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:It sounds quite lovely. It might not be as hands on as the Jupiter-8V though.
It is a lot more hands on than the JP8V, because on M12V a user can actually read what the controls are about :hihi:
Yes, this is true, it's easier with the Matrix 12 to program own sounds because I don't need a magnifying glass :hihi: But a scalable GUI is announced for the V Collection V5...

I'm demoing also the Prophet V where the GUI is also easier to read and I like the sound but there is too much overlap with my Nord Lead.
There is something with the Jupiter 8v2 I like and I cannot achieve the same sound with Diva. So my recurring interest for the older Arturia synth ;)

DuX wrote:I think fmr point was that since the original Matrix-12 sounds better than Jupiter-8, it is only logical that the virtual version of the Matrix-12 sounds better than Jupiter-8, I think. ;)

And also this is quite subjective, isn't it? What is "better" in this case? For what kind of sounds? They sound different, with Jupiter-8 sounding a bit mellower, typically Roland. ;)
The original Matrix 12 does not sound better than the original Jupiter 8. The M12 is much more programmable, and, is capable of more nuanced sounds in many respects. However, it has very slow software envelopes and despite having many modes, a relatively weak filter by comparison.

The Jupiter 8 has an awesome filter and snappy hardware envelopes.

Comparing the two Arturia models. The M12 is newer and is powerful from a programming point of view. However, other than for nostalgia's sake and because people like very close clones, the programming interface is rather annoying. The real M12 isn't as slow because it's "multitouch." But it's rather annoying to use the M12 interface in a software product. They should have at least enhanced the visual representation showing you routings in graphical format.

One thing in the Jupiter 8s favor (arturia), is a very cool modulation section.

If you don't have Diva, that's the first stop. If you have Diva, then I would think that M12 would give you a more different experience to Diva than the Jupiter 8. That said, to me, Massive is a much better choice for a reasonably powerful synth with multimode filters.

Personally, I think that the M12 is a bit over-rated. People remember it with reverence because it was an extremely powerful programmable poly-synth for the time. Back then, there weren't very many options to have that kind of programability. Even the first romplers couldn't come close. Second generation romplers, like the Kurzweil K2000, could really compete in terms of progamability, but not in terms of analog filter sound. Today, I'm not convinced, the M12 filter is kind of a cool design, but it's not that great.

AFAIK, there really isn't "A" sound that the M12 is known for. It was a great synth for doing really deep realistic patches before romplers existed and it's great for evolving analog pads and textures, but there are so many choices for that today.

ghettosynth wrote: The original Matrix 12 does not sound better than the original Jupiter 8. The M12 is much more programmable, and, is capable of more nuanced sounds in many respects. However, it has very slow software envelopes and despite having many modes, a relatively weak filter by comparison.
Weak filter? In what terms? I noticed several times (based on your comments) that for you a synth is essentially about snappy envelopes and screaming filters. In those two parameters, I agree the Jupiter may win.

But in terms of versatility (and for me a synth has to be taken for the whole, and the filter is just ONE module, which is there just to take frequencies off), the Matrix-12 has much more to offer - starting with 15 filter modes, where the Jupiter only has two. And a powerful matrix modulation, and tons of VCAs, and modulations sources. The envelopes may not be the fastest, but there are five, and ramps too. Besides, I am not interested in millisecond records - they were fast enough to get really snappy sounds, at least to my ears.

So, as much as I respect the Jupiter-8 (which was a great synth, indeed) the Matrix-12 sounded better IMO (fatter, capable of the most majestic pads I have ever heard, and capable of really evolving sounds). There may not be a sound that defines the Matrix-12 (because it is capable of so many), but if there was one, it would certainly be one of those majestic pads. Yes, I was referring to the originals, when I said the Matrix-12 sounded better than the Jupiter-8, and I say that having experiencing both.

Anyway, both Arturia emulations are also great, IMO. but of course I was delighted to finally have an emulation of the Matrix-12.
Fernando (FMR)

The Xpander and M12 are not really regarded as "fat" like the earlier Oberheims are.

They are mostly regarded as very tweakable with lots of mod options, and capable of good sounds, but not necessarily as sexy sounding as some of the more characterful analog polys.

The Jupiter-8 for me just has a character I love, it's unique and distinctive and is part of the soundtrack of my youth, and given the choice between the two, despite both being lovely things, I'd pick the JP8 every time.

beely wrote:The Xpander and M12 are not really regarded as "fat" like the earlier Oberheims are.

They are mostly regarded as very tweakable with lots of mod options, and capable of good sounds, but not necessarily as sexy sounding as some of the more characterful analog polys.

The Jupiter-8 for me just has a character I love, it's unique and distinctive and is part of the soundtrack of my youth, and given the choice between the two, despite both being lovely things, I'd pick the JP8 every time.
Fair enough. I can accept. Different people. different tastes. For me, the Matrix was the best analogue synth ever. Fortunately, in software we can have both :)
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”