Le Attol: Terminal Feedback

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, I've been thinking of compressors and limiters. Regarding both.

Taking into mind the below image; Let me begin by Illustrating the effects of a limiter: (Continued below)

So In figure C: We see that in the beginning, the uncompressed sound wave is nominal. And then inflated by electronic medium in stage 2.

So that there is the ability to limit I'm guessing is why this is limiters have always worked in the same manner. Howver, after they are compressed has it been discussed, the question of competing waves.

You see, waves of sound - Even if virtual have some kind of momentum. Because that is the nature of sound, even if it is reproduced artifically. For it is the only way in which it can be conceived.

That is to say like in the figure in the image above, Figure D:
There is a wave - Pretend that this wave is sound. What if this wave has to be pushed through that wave.

Have you ever stood in front of a wave ? And for all of that force to be squashed through that tube.

A lot of power.

And what if there were many competing currents, many competing waves.
It is very common to see limiters in master channels.
See figure F

And moreover, unlike a limiter - A compressor does not take away from this momentum.

So why does the responsible sound technician rely on compressors and limiters?

But this realization dawned on me. Is not subtracting, taking away with equalizers compressing. And should not the amount which you take away be balanced so that there is less compression involved.

This methodology prevents what I call "terminal feedback" meaning that there is multiple waves with huge amounts of power which cause a speaker to blow.

It seems to me that this is the result of the speakers cone. I wonder if all speakers of old had an inverted cone (see iluustration: figure A).

For in figure B, there is a "protruding cone" - was this not designed to compensate for these extra waves from a limiter and a compressor?

There are many products which have an inverted cone. And through some experience I have noticed that they seem to sound blown if you run sound from a compressor or a limiter that is out of phase:
For instance check this site:
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product. ... ct=8000649

This speaker with its inverted type will go awry if you put sound from a limiter through it.
animated speaker.gif
Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this technique and idea.

For the summation and solution form me is to bring the gain on my master channel to say about 15% - And then on the very last vst spot - I exppand with a good equalizer releasing all of that power and velocity (ergo momentum) to the speaker.

EDIT: I'll add some images illustrating the effect of high energy waves being formed in the speaker. And the resulting oscillation causing the cone to become tremulous.

It is while in flux of course; That a speaker's cone bounces and shakes. And like all frequencies, a competing frequency (or wave) can cause a momentary exponential amount of feedback. During that feedback when the raw signal comes through - The speaker is blown.

I'll really have to think about its design - But I will do my best.

P.S.: I was thinking; Perhaps having high-amplitude negative energy in every channel as a form of gain might ensure an upper end boost. Because if you think about it, even gain is something like a compressor. Where does the bleed go? I suppose mod-x and mod-y are a sound source of volume normalization (Cheese... sigh :()
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Music Site: http://www.leattol.com
My Amazing 32 Bit Win EQ: LA bands 15 band EQ

Thanks Jancivil - I will check it out.

BTW though, there was someone wise whom I had met who seemed adept at working with daw's. He suggested something strange to me; Something which he had learned through the use of hardware.

What he said was that the only way you can apply effect without distortion is to ensure that the sound being provided to the effect is at 100% gain.

I've taken this to heart - And now I've been trying to master this philosophy. Normally; I will have my plugins setup as follows.

Marvel GEQ
Kjaerhus Classic EQ

-plugin
-plugin
-plugin
FL Stereo Shaper (Negative Energy Boost)
TesslaProMKII
Luftikus

I had divulged a similiar sentiment regarding placement. And he reiterated that all "effect" must be given 100% gain before the signal is altered. So I've been considering this, Sonic momentum and the dynamics of every channel.

It seems to me that If I am to work with 100% gain across the board then it's a matter of post processing. That is to say, equalizing after effects are placed.

Given this medium my placement of a given channel would look like so:

-plugin
-plugin
-plugin
Marvel GEQ
Kjaerhus Classic EQ
Fl Stereo Shaper (Negative Energy Boost)
TesslaProMKII
Luftikus

So, conceivably every channel would be as a "horn" and only the last plugin - the luftikus would reduce the gain - For I have found its gain to be above par in quality. Like a horn, this signal would then be passed to the main channel, in which the gain is set low and then to be amplified.

Is this not a linear methodology of preventing feedback from overpowering the master channel, (or in another way of explaining). Is this not a way of taming many beasts without implying that a device to control modulation (And timing implied) Was neccesary.

It makes me think that there must have been a great deal of thinking behind the design of fl studio.
My Music Site: http://www.leattol.com
My Amazing 32 Bit Win EQ: LA bands 15 band EQ

Return to “Music Theory”