Clipping with some presets.

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am getting some clipping with some presets upon release of any given key on my keyboard. I am using SONAR Pro with a Roland A-500S midi controller. This does not happen with any other of my VST i's just with Hive. Are there any settings I am missing with in Hive?

Thanks for any help.

Flux

Hmmm, no idea. Can you name 2-3 presets so we can check it out?

Hello,
In Hive I hear noise with some patches. Is it only my problem?
For example this patch:
poly leads...ETE Ambi Dance....when I make OSC1 play solo there is noise...
then when I switch off Reverb...there is no noise
Please help me.
Best regards
Jan

I will get the preset names for you soon. Some of the presets that have clipping sound are also from a third party maker.

Here are a few preset names that have the clipping sound. Some I think were included with Hive, I know some came with Transmitting Spheres and also by CHE.

017 The Engine running
021 Checkmated - Schachmatt
066 One Hive Chord Spezial
BPM Nisse Chill
Dark Shot
HS Willow Pad
PD Pastorale
SQ Pan Percusion

There were more but I thought just a few would help.

I hope this helps and hopefully it is just some settings to readjust.

HS Willow Pad not clipping upon release here. Can't find the others.

I have some clipping issues in Zebra2.
It appears when filter sweeping through some rough and noisy stuff at certain cutoff frequencies.
For this post I have broken down a setting in which the problem appears to find out which components are necessary to cause the crackling.

In the synthesis section I have 4 detuned OSCs mainly with sawtooths, a vcf and distortion, pretty rough and rich sound.
In the global section I have EQ, Delay and VCF5 LP Olddrive.
Arpeggiator plays short 16ths.
Now when I use the Modwheel to filtersweep VCF 5, at a certain mid high freq (value around 90), some rhythmical crackling and popping or clipping noise appears.

If I turn everything off but 2 OSCs and arpeggiator, it's still cracking. With arp off there is no clipping.
When using another VCF type it's still there, maybe at another freqency.
If I turn off VCF5 and use the Cubase8 channel EQ HC Filter, I got the same problems. If I use the Waves Renaissance EQ instead it's all clean.

Well I believe that I might Have found the clipping problem. The audio interface that I mainly use is the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8. When I use my Roland UA-25 EX or the ASIO4All driver I do not get any clipping. I'll have to contact Focusrite I guess and ask them about it.

Long shot, but does raising the Scarlett's buffer size change anything?
Cheers
Rob
u-he | Support | FAQ | Patch Library

Raising the buffer did not work. Its strange it only clips on the left channel. SONAR has a virtual keyboard and it clips even using that.

Well I chatted with Focusrite and I did what they asked and I still have the clipping problems. Here is what they asked me to do.

Please can you complete the following system optimisations in this article: http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/ ... hp?id=1071

It would also be advisable to go to the PC or motherboard manufacturers website and ensure that you have the latest updates for the BIOS and the USB chipset.

Please ensure you have disabled power saving mode for USB devices:

In the device manager (Start > Control Panel > System and Security > System > Device Manager), in the Universal Serial Bus controllers section, right click each USB Root Hub, choose Properties > Power Management and untick the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option.

If using a Laptop, it could also be worth checking the general power management of your computer:
Go to Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options.
Set the Power Scheme to High Performance (if this setting is not available, click on Show additional plans first). Then click on Change plan settings. On the next page set both Turn off the display and Put the computer to sleep to Never.

Then click Change advanced power settings. In the window that opens make sure you have the following settings:
Hard disc > Turn off hard disk after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
Sleep > Sleep after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
USB settings > USB selective suspend setting > Setting = Disabled
Display > Turn off display after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
Processor power management > Minimum processor state > Setting = 100%
Processor power management > Maximum processor state > Setting = 100%

Are you able to try connecting the MIDI keyboard and the 18i8 to dedicated USB ports instead of going through a hub?

Please can you also try connecting the MIDI keyboard via MIDI cables to the 18i8 to see if you get the same issue?

Again none of this worked.

How exactly do you notice the clipping?
Are there clicking or scratching sounds?
Or does the Master volume meter in Sonar show clipping?
If the Master meter shows clipping, how much is it?
Does the clipping already happen on single notes, or does it take several notes (=chords or otherwise overlapping)?
Cheers
Rob

I notice the clipping within the meters and there is a clicking sound. The clicking sound is heard upon release of any given individual keys and the amount in the meters is varied. Currently I am using Win 7 But I might be upgrading to Win 10. Although the Win version should not matter as this does not happen when I use other interfaces.

With all the testing that I have done the only conclusion that I can come up with is that it is the driver for my Focusrite. Does anyone have any suggestions?

As you're on Windows, have you tried alternative drivers like for example ASIO4All?
Would be interesting to know if that makes any difference.

Also, what "bittage" and sample rate are you running your project(s) in?
Do bit depth and sample rate vary between the interfaces, e.g. Focusrite runs in 96 kHz while others run in 44.1 kHz or so?
Cheers
Rob

Return to “u-he”