KVR MIX CHALLENGE - MC16 November 2015 - Winners announced

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wolverine6 wrote:This is a group of elite dj's. And some of us have hopes of a career. It's unsavoury to imagine that something rude said could have a lasting effect on a professional reputation. I'm also an OK singer/rapper.

I'm just saying, it could happen for your future reference.
But in my Humble opinion; Most ppl here are aspiring pros or pros. This is a forum that costumer service queries are directed to for many professional companies. Socializing here is sharing our profession.

I won't mention this again, regardless if there is more said. Thankyou. See you next month.
Not sure if...

No sorry... I do not have the patience for this. I will let the mods handle this from now on.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Here is my mix :
mp3 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/jh27h7xr7swl6 ... s.mp3?dl=0
FLAC : https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6rvibdxt39rn ... .flac?dl=0

Got a friend's visit and he kept talking while I was trying to finish the mix oh gosh...

Mix descriptions :
---------------------
1st mix :
Besides the usual eqing, gating, low end monoizing... notable elements are : ssl console emu, beat was parallel compressed using a distressor emu (sknote) to give it movements, basses are compressed together to glue them, basses and instruments are sidechained with the beat. I choosed to emphasize the heavy kicks in the low end over the basses. Finally everything is glued with a ssl comp emu on the mix buss.
2nd mix :
Here iI listened to other contestants' mix to improve mine. Gave the main growly bass more sub, tried to improve attacks of the kicks for more beat clarity, eq and rebalance of the instruments to give a little bit space and put some hidden elements to the front. I gave a little bit more volume to instruments, while trying to keep the beat upfront. Pulled back some basses in the synth to give a more goa feeling in the middle section, also I gave more volume to the kick...

Finally I just put a filter before the final transition... time was up...

Couldn't automate the bypass of the glitch plug on sonar, version without glitch coming but if I may I will try again and re-upload exactly same mix + the glitch.

Update : I found a way to automate the bypass but now the glitch is off tempo, thank you Sonar I love you... :D

The second mix round has officially ended. Thanks for your participation.
We're once more going into evaluation.

Thanks for participating.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Already downloaded all files, will post results here as soon as I evaluate and write some comments about each of them.

No_Use wrote:Here's my entry for the 2nd round:

mp3 (44.1/VBR best)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/120 ... 202%29.mp3
Really liked that little vox-filter fx at the end, it really caught me off-guard! Your 2nd mix sounds much cleared and more spacious than the 1st. Good Luck :tu:

A short update on things.

animehaus contacted me via PM that he's pretty much done, but had a technical/rule question/problem that needed to be sorted out first. However, he won't be available until late 9th December to post the final results.

Sorry for the delay.

In the meantime, and if you're wondering where MC#17 (December) is, you can follow up on what will happen with the Mix Challenge in the future over in the Gossip Thread:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p6314938

And remember that the Mix Challenge can't survive if we don't get new audio material to mix:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=443876

Want a dedicated challenge subsection on KVRAudio? Raise your voice:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=413299

Ichad.c wrote:
No_Use wrote:Here's my entry for the 2nd round:

mp3 (44.1/VBR best)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/120 ... 202%29.mp3
Really liked that little vox-filter fx at the end, it really caught me off-guard! Your 2nd mix sounds much cleared and more spacious than the 1st. Good Luck :tu:
Thanks.
Good luck for the other participants too.

Still a few days to go until we get the results (according to Compy's post) but that's good for increasing the tension. :D

First of all, sorry for taking a little while to release the final comments and results, but I've been out of town for the last 6 days - quite a hectic week, in fact.

Overall, I've really enjoyed a lot the modified mixes. My considerations are the following:

Kolyev - Volume balance between drums and instruments, definitely much better now. Arps without sidechain work better for me. I really enjoyed a lot your mix, because you kept what was already working fine and precisely adjusted what wasn't working so well before. The only thing that bothers me a little is that the track feels a little too bassy in the beginning.

No Use - 1st transition started well, but the FX could have been a little shorter. 2nd transition works better. As for the end, I confess it's a little complicated situation here, because I said I didn't want changes in the basic arrangement. What you did would work pretty well on a remix, which unfortunately is not the case here. I enjoyed the little things you did with glitches, but the change in the arrangement wasn't a good idea because of what's been stated by the rules.

Photonic - Mix definitely much less bassy, now I'm able to listen things with much more clarity. End is no longer abrupt as it was before. Happy to know you didn't mess up with what was already working - most of the times, less is definitely more.

Davias - I feel the track a little empty in the low-end during the 1st half and near the end, not feeling too much energy. Things definitely gets better from middle section on. Balance between drums and instruments is pretty good overall.

I believe Compyfox might explain better the importance of pay attention to the rules, but along with me being out-of-town, the main reason why it took me a while to finish my evaluation was the fact that my favorite mix was exactly the one which violated the rules. In other words, I was in a strange situation: how could I choose No Use's mix as the best when, in fact, he should be DQed, since he violated one of my basic rules (do not change the arrangement) by adding new content?

So, after discussing the matter with Compyfox and carefully thinking about it, I've decided - and it's been far for a painless decision for me - to DQ No Use's mix, because it wouldn't be fair with all the other contestants who sticked to the rules.

This way, my top 3 mixes are, in order:

1) Kolyev
2) Photonic
3) Davias

And some words to No Use: mate, although I understand and respect the idea of "no risk no fun", next time it would be nice if you try to follow the basic rules. Your 1st mix was already pretty good, and if you haven't modified the arrangement - thus violating the rules - you were going to win this challenge. Yep, rules can be bothersome and limiting, but are absolutely necessary on a contest.

Thanks to all contestants, congratulations to the winners, and a special shout out to Compyfox: you've been absolutely amazing all over MC16, helping me a lot every time I had doubts and questions. Really enjoyed a lot the whole MC experience - hope to be back again in the future.

Congratulations to the winners.
And thanks to all contestants your for your participation.

As usual, you're free to select any of the available licenses. But please mention what you picked for the next person in line to choose from, then get in touch with satYatunes.

See you in the next challenge. :tu:

Thanks for chosing my mix as this months winner :party: and congratulations to photonic (you're doing a really good job every month. impressive!) and davias as well :tu:

I totally agree on the bassy beginning, it bothered me myself. Maybe a volume or EQ automation would have helped.

Regarding the prize, I'll pick metric halo's character.

Congratulation to Kolyev ! :clap: :party:
Very well deserved.
And congrats to Davias for your top ranking!

I am happy to reached second place in this new genre for me. It was the first time I used tose glitch FX. So I learned something new. That is one of the good things here in the contest.

Kolyev: thanx for your nice comment :hug:

I take nothing from the prize pool. I allready got everything I need or can use. So I forward to you, Davias.

See you after xmas! :tu:
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

animehaus wrote: I believe Compyfox might explain better the importance of pay attention to the rules, but along with me being out-of-town, the main reason why it took me a while to finish my evaluation was the fact that my favorite mix was exactly the one which violated the rules. In other words, I was in a strange situation: how could I choose No Use's mix as the best when, in fact, he should be DQed, since he violated one of my basic rules (do not change the arrangement) by adding new content?

So, after discussing the matter with Compyfox and carefully thinking about it, I've decided - and it's been far for a painless decision for me - to DQ No Use's mix, because it wouldn't be fair with all the other contestants who sticked to the rules.

This way, my top 3 mixes are, in order:

1) Kolyev
2) Photonic
3) Davias

And some words to No Use: mate, although I understand and respect the idea of "no risk no fun", next time it would be nice if you try to follow the basic rules. Your 1st mix was already pretty good, and if you haven't modified the arrangement - thus violating the rules - you were going to win this challenge. Yep, rules can be bothersome and limiting, but are absolutely necessary on a contest.
Thanks.

I've got nothing to argue here. I admit I feel a little stupid now for having done this, but fair enough, rules are rules and sorry for having made the decision troublesome for you.

Congrats to the winners.

Congrats to Kolyev and Photonic !

And sorry for No Use, I would have been 4th otherwise, anyway that would have been a good position already because the level of contestants is very good ^^ But it is great because it forces me to always improve (and I should learn to start my mixes early on instead of always doing crazy at last minute :D ). I'm happy to have you as contestants guys, you are very skilled and it amaze me I can reach the top 3 !

Thanks to Animehaus for giving me a good place in the ranking, it encourages me to keep on !

As for the price I think I will try Acon Digital Defilter. I hope with this new toy I could improve on my bass levels, as I have some bad resonances in my room and I always fear that I put too much or not enough there (not enough for this mix as Animehaus stated ^^).
Last edited by Davias on Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

double post

Thanks for your selection, folks.
Please don't forget to get in touch with satYatunes.

Return to “Production Techniques”