DAW powerful enough yet real easy for noobie start!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I used to have the Pro version of Mixcraft, but downgraded to the regular version, the Pro bonuses were just not worth it in my view.

There is something mediocre about Mixcraft, it is solid, never crashes, but the quality of the plugins for instance is mediocre, and some odd implementations of features.

DJ Warmonger wrote:DAWs don't make music, people do.

Just try different demos and choose the one you like. Ableton was 5th DAW I tried and loved it since then.
I love this quote!

Personally I've always been a Pro Tools or Logic guy, but it really doesn't matter, think on the music!

Samplitude Music Studio

G
Don't ask me, I just play here.

been giving this alot of thought.. Imagine when he gets into plugins if he foes with live, and some have latency and he starts wondering "hey why isn't the playhead in time with my music"? Things like that. I think he needs something with proper PDC throughout and really inviting to use.

Bitwig was pretty easy to pick up, did you consider that? Not cheap but perhaps a good idea for a beginner.

Reaper is just like a total MF for new DAW users. Also helping a cousin at present and she went with PT and that's pretty full on for someone who has never used a DAW in their life. Luckily she is having tutoring but still....hard stuff.

I think besides Logic the daw i picked up easy as anything was S1 and it performs well on windows (i presume he is on windows? Note i last used it at V2.5 so can't speak for V3). Tracktion is also DEAD easy to get around and so cheap! the BF deals were amazing but i think the end in a few hours. However, neither S1 or Tracktion have notation.. still waiting to hear back if traditional notation is necessary for him.

if so, perhaps sonar.. it's surprisingly quite easy to pick up and use and the extra stuff is there if decides to go deeper. I hear that the latest one is actually stable.

If no notation required and price no object, i am recommending bitwig cause of solid PDC and easy functionality.

followed by S1 then tracktion.

If notation required then sonar pro.

The ones i highly recommend against for noob's are PT, Reaper and DP.

Not sure if already posted, but after waiting for nearly a year to upgrade my mixcraft 6 to the actual 7 with the actual deal going on (upgrade was 25 € only in BF deal) I think this might be a good solution:

- Easy to use and in comparision cheap (at least when you use a deal like me)

- Lots of integrated instruments and effects (even with the non pro version)

- You can use 32 and 64 bit VST plugins without even knowing that you use different versions

- plugins: I was really impressed that it did NOT crashes (like evry other DAW I have ever tried) with my hundreds of VST plugins both 32 and 64 bit, I am sure with doubled version etc., evrything was nicely skanned

- good customisable plugin management

- Notation (though I have never used and cant judge)

- lot of nice new midi editing functions

- lots of other nice new features

- first tries: very stable on win 7/64 bit

Will not be my first DAW I think (Tracktion, Mulab) but an alternative, will try some workflows and then lets see, maybe for when I need some 32 bit vst in aproject like the great algo ones or from H.G. ....

Yes, Mixcraft is relatively simple and intuitive, and very robust, which is nice, it seems made by musicians for musicians, not by nerds for freaks :tu:
The included samples are also pretty decent.

If you allow me...

I, for one, would recommend Mulab Free because, as it is conceived, it will induce you to learn much of the cool trick you'd need to practice even only once in audio editing (among other domains), this to circumvent it 4 track limitations, that lately you could brake when buying the full version

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”