M-Audio Av40 Question

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are the AV40's by M-Audio actual monitors, or are they actually more in the category of computer speakers?

These are designed as entry-level monitoring speakers. I'd say these are good step up from sub-$100 multimedia/computer speakers, but the next step up (e.g. Adam A7x, KRK VXT6, Dynaudio BM6) is definitely worth it if you have outgrown your current set and saved up for the next investment.

So it boils down to whether you currently have issues with these speakers, and noone else but you can answer that. Can you hear little details on the hifi set of your audiophile friend that you don't hear in your own studio? Is it a surprise each time how your mixes translate when played on other systems?

I'd actually advise you to burn a CD with some tracks you know intimately how they should sound, and bring that to a real physical local music shop that sells this stuff. Tell them you're an interested customer and want a demo of several monitoring systems. Maybe even bring your Av40's so you can do a side by side comparison to the competition. Then you know whether you're missing something or not.

Getting a pair of monitors (or headphones) is like buying shoes: they have to fit you. Try it out before you buy, in a real shop.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”