Nora and Ableton?

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just got Live Intro and I'm not seeing any way to route a specific midi channel to a VSTi from Nora. I think this is just a limitation of Live's midi routing, but if anyone has an idea how to get Nora to play nice in Live, please let me know. It may be a bit futile though, I am guessing Nora will work best in a linear host vs Live's clip launching. Which is OK, just if I'm missing something, let me know!
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Live flattens all MIDI Channels to 1 when you route them to other tracks. I don't know why they do this. There is no a direct way to solve this. I didn't had the time to experiment myself, but I suggest some alternatives:

1. Using other DAW (self evident, sorry :D)

2. I'm not sure if you can place Nora before an VST in the same track, but if you can you could take advantage of a multitimbral setup. The idea is, using a instrument like D16 Lush 101 would give you what you desire, but of course, using only the same instance of this instrument for all the sounds.

3. The 2. idea can be pushed further. If the multitimbral instrument is able to load inside multiple VSTs, you can use it to trigger different instruments. FL Studio VSTi would allow you do this. I don't remember if others simpler environment would allow you, like IL MiniHost or the classic Chainer.

4. Live does not flatten the MIDI from a track if it's routed to hardware. You can install any Virtual Midi Port driver and then route the output of Nora to that port. The instrument tracks would receive the MIDI from these ports.

Maybe, with any of these solutions, you could need help from a MIDI Channel filter plugin. There is a lot of them for free.

In these months I've carefully planning loading VST inside Nora. But that is giving me headhaches. If I do it without multithreading or multiprocessing, your CPU would be saturated fast. But if I include such techniques, the host may fail with it's own CPU management, because I think the most of them think that a plugin is single-core, then it fails to allocate from which core it should take the resources. But the problem is much bigger than this desicion (I could do an option), but it is long and boring technical stuff :)

Yeah, I think I will mostly just use Nora with Studio vs Live, I do think the linear workflow is a better fit for these two. They are a sweet combo. I tried multiple outs to Sampletank 3 but it didn;'t recognize the multiple channels from Nora, just threw everything on Ch 1. It is ok though, it is Live's limitation and again, Studio One is a better fit and it works great there.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

It seems hosting VSTs is not the best use of effort to me, it wouldn't be a feature I'd be that keen on, just for what that's worth ;)

Return to “Squaredheads”