Midi to CV options (standalone)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Did I read somewhere the Behringer UCA202 can be used with modulars ?
i.e. its DC coupled
Amazon: why not use an alternative

So I ended up going for a Microbrute (secondhand) which gives even more bang for the buck

It looks like the decision has already been made, but for DAW-Euro integration I prefer the ES-3, and for standalone you really can't go wrong with Kenton.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Yeah, I sucummed to an eBay bargain ;)
It was cheaper than the current cream of software synths and not much more than some of the recommendations above.

But will end up going the eurorack route.

I'd rather waste my money on modules than plugins from here on in.
(At least the resale value is better, people are expecting you to practically give away software these days thanks to the constant sales lowering the perceived value, I'm getting offers of half the recent sale prices for stuff I'm trying to sell here!)

Both my Phenol and soon to arrive Microbrute have built in midi and Usb to CV.
Its size is a plus too as its even smaller than the Phenol.
They should complement each other well.
Shame they didn't make a rack version, dwarf keyboards are getting to be a sorry trend.

Seems the Nord Micromod can also be used to generate CV
https://youtu.be/hw5TIuQQxp4

Patchblocks too
http://patchblocks.com/groups/software/ ... ple-cv-lfo

Android LFO generator via headphone out

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... aoa_uqiNAG

iPhones/iPads can also be used with headphone Amps and apps such as
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trigger ... 39081?mt=8

So I have quite a few bits of kit that can do what I want already :D

deastman wrote:It looks like the decision has already been made, but for DAW-Euro integration I prefer the ES-3, and for standalone you really can't go wrong with Kenton.
Just got a Kenton Pro-2000 mkll on ebay,
Couldn't resist all those ouputs and built in LFOs :borg:

They don't seem to come up for sale 2nd hand that often so felt I'd better get it,
that's my sad GAS reasoning.

Also thought it leaves space in a Eurorack system instead of having to get en ESI etc

I'm thinking about a relatively cheap MIDI to CV option to modulate the CV inputs on my Microbrute that are not pitch (since I'm sequencing that over MIDI anyway).

I like the idea of the Arturia Beatstep, since I could also use it to send MIDI CCs for other gear... but is it true that it doesn't do glide, just discrete value steps?

The SQ-1, on the other hand, does seem to have a mode where you can set glide per step. Has anyone tried using that for a sort of pseudo-LFO?

I haven't used the SQ-1 for lfo type efx but I have used it to play the Minibrute Filters while I was sending it midi notes or using the internal sequencer (there is a firmware mod that transforms the arpeggiator into a 16 step sequencer). IT works well in this capacity. Also the SQ-1 does three octaves of the hz/volt scale if you have an older MS-20 or a yamaha CS series mono synth.

foosnark wrote:I'm thinking about a relatively cheap MIDI to CV option to modulate the CV inputs on my Microbrute that are not pitch (since I'm sequencing that over MIDI anyway).

I like the idea of the Arturia Beatstep, since I could also use it to send MIDI CCs for other gear... but is it true that it doesn't do glide, just discrete value steps?

The SQ-1, on the other hand, does seem to have a mode where you can set glide per step. Has anyone tried using that for a sort of pseudo-LFO?

I don't have any other gear that uses CV, just the Microbrute.

I guess another option would be LittleBits USB + CV, with Silent Way or CV Toolkit or plugins I write myself. Or perhaps there's another cheap DC-coupled USB audio device, I'll have to look aroudn.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”