You have ~£100 ($140) to spend. What gear do you get?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm 100% certain that you don't need a random piece of gear, especially below 140 bucks. Maybe you should start saving up for a decent pair of speakers. The speakers you have are for gaming/watching movies, I'm not sure if they are suitable for music production at all.

Anyway it would be helpful if you specify your goals. Do you want to build a music production environment or you need a good setup for playing your guitars? Still, good monitors are essential for both.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

glokraw wrote:On the keyboard front, if you want sounds, and control options,
a Korg Taktile Triton will be very tough to beat, you get a PIN for the
Korg Legacy Collection, and a rompler version of the
'90's Korg Triton soundset, with some limited settings to modify/use,
but with limited saving, probably just within 16 saved Taktile sessions.
(but I don't have mine yet, so don't quote me on that :wink: )
$150 for the two octave version, save up if you want 49 or 61 keys...
Cheers
I'll have a look at that Korg but I'm inclined to just save for now. I don't think I'm hitting a production wall due to my hardware. There's still a lot I don't know about production, so I'll learn more and spend money on gear when I know how to get the most out of it. Thanks though. :)

If you don't know what you need you don't need it.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

The only real good thing you could get for that kind of money is a good stomp box of some sort.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

You could buy a single 2metre speaker wire for some Amphions.

you could get 4 joyo stompboxes, or a monoprice california classic guitar with 20-watt solid state amp.

maybe get a tubulark 5-watt instead for really smooth sound. if at all possible, it's great to have a guitar amp with a "12 speaker. but smaller speakers can sound good. tube amps with 12" speakers ("the gold standard") are out of your specified range, although you could get the monoprice 40-watt (solid state) amp and a dynamic mic. you can get a budget guitar amp with 10 watts and 6" or 6.5" speaker for around $40 if you look around. if you got a tube screamer clone ($20-$50) pedal it might sound pretty good for recording.

maybe a behringer C1 condenser mic ($50).

if you don't need a guitar amp, and just want to record onto the computer and then use ampsims, then an I/O device is well within your price range. again, you're going to need a mic for recording vocals or amplified guitar.

maybe the first thing you want to look at though is a software 'host' (sequencer, mixer, vsti/vst loader) to do your recording. you can use reaper, or get a copy of renoise for around $75. the software host is kind of where things should probably start out though (that is if i understand what it is you're trying to do). if you're on a mac, i've heard garage band is going great guns.

anyway, i'd say 1) host, 2) i/o device, 3) mic cable/mic, 4) guitar amp or stompbox. you can get good cheap ($15-$50) stomboxes, and there are some decent amps for under $100. ymmv

if you ever had $200 or $300 to spend on a guitar amp, you could get something really nice for recording. but if you're in a low volume environment (apartment/flat), you can make some great guitar recordings with just an i/o and ampsims. there are some great free ampsims for inside your host software... just record on the i/o device, then sculpt the sound you want inside the host, using an ampsim.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”