Spire or Dune2 - which one sounds more like a Virus?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:Or just check out some gear sites, to see how many well known artists have a Virus as their main work horse in their studio.
But only for interviews targeted to gear sites, the rest of the time they all are plugin users.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:
chk071 wrote:Or just check out some gear sites, to see how many well known artists have a Virus as their main work horse in their studio.
But only for interviews targeted to gear sites, the rest of the time they all are plugin users.
If you say so. :P

I can't speak for "well known artists" but when I've bought a Virus it didn't make me throw any of my plugins into thrash. To the contrary, it made me re-evaluate some of them - especially Spire, I'd say it is on the same level of sound quality but aside from narrow overlapping range it provides different sounds with different character. So there is no "either/or" here.

Btw, many psytrance artists I listen to and take my inspiration from have a Virus. With all its modulation abilites, crazy waveforms and effects it is especially good for psy.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

tone 2 electra sounds pretty much like it to me is even more round then virus!

lacandon wrote:tone 2 electra sounds pretty much like it to me is even more round then virus!
Afaik, Electra contans some sampled waveforms from virus, including the hypersaw. Out of curiosity, yesterday I've compared Electra's Hypersaw vir 9 with a Virus hypersaw oscillator - they do sound similar (obviously), but Virus hypersaw is really customisable unlike the Electra's, and it also runs through Virus filters, then there is "character" and other effects. Electra is a bit lacking in its effects imo and I don't like its envelopes.

Curious how their Icarus will stack up against Virus (well, not really curious, enough with these comparison tests - time to make music :) )
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Instruments”