Have Issues with Kaleidoscope

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/204 ... e_test.mp3

This is very odd, hoping someone can shed some light on what I'm doing wrong.

In the example you can hear crackling like audio dropouts or CPU peaking. But, I have no dropouts being reported by the Lynx Aurora monitor. And, my logical CPU load never gets above 30% on any given core (i7 980x 6 core/12 logical). I've tried everything from normal to massive buffer settings on the audio interface.

I have tried multiple hosts (Reaper, Cubase 8.5, Sonar Platinum) and it behaves identically in all 3. None of them show anything approaching a performance spike. The export above is from Cubase, with buffers at 1024.

I have multi-core support turned on. I've tried zillions of combinations of the settings for buffers, oversampling, multithreading % and max resonators to no avail. None of the settings make any difference at all. I've tried reducing the size of loaded images down to just a tiny space. No difference ... crackle crackle crackle.

Any ideas? Any other info that might help troubleshoot? I did open a ticket with 2C by the way. Just wondered if anyone here went through something similar and figured it out.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

If I remember correctly, KS works best when it's internal buffer setting matches the Host buffer. It's on the Info page on the right side at the bottom of the Realtime column. Plus when you change the buffer in KS you have to close and reopen the plug. I haven't had this problem since I first got KS, and also maybe I had to set up both buffer settings and restart the host and reload the plug to clean this up.

The wet level signal can often overdrive the plug and you'll get clipping, so watch that. But this does sound like a buffer issue because it's so constant. I have an older hexacore Mac, and even though KS is a cpu muncher, I can usually run 256 or 512 buffers without this kind of distortion. 1024 should be just fine, but with maybe some latency. Hope that helps.
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 12.6.6, iConnectAudio2+, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live, VCV Rack Pro 2, Bitwig Studio

Hey thanks for the reply, but I think I've pretty thoroughly gone through the buffer settings. I'm currently running at 25ms (1048 buffers) with Kal at 1024. lowest number of resonators, no oversampling, 200% multithreading. I've made sure I am not clipping internally to the plugin, on the channel or the output. It's still completely unuseable.

I´m sure you already did this but just in case..... the playhead from your DAW is running when using Kaleidoscope?

perhaps a stupid question but does your computer have any dpc spike issues? They would typically represent as the problems you are presenting here, and would more likely happen on this type of plugin. Did you run latencymon to check it out? And i presume your computer is on high performance mode in windows?

Cinebient wrote:I´m sure you already did this but just in case..... the playhead from your DAW is running when using Kaleidoscope?
hehe, yes ... the export would auto playback, but yes the transport is running.

TheoM wrote:perhaps a stupid question but does your computer have any dpc spike issues? They would typically represent as the problems you are presenting here, and would more likely happen on this type of plugin. Did you run latencymon to check it out? And i presume your computer is on high performance mode in windows?
no, my dpc performance is pretty awesome. Lynx Aurora's have really good drivers. I don't have IRQ interrupt stuff caused by network cards or onboard sound cards. Really, other than this plugin, this is best running system I've ever had.

EDIT: It'll probably be something silly like that though when I figure it out.

Return to “Effects”