A high pass in front of the lowpass for a powerfull bass. What is the explanation on this?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Can you give us a little production tip or do you have a secret function in one of your plug-ins?
In any synth, try a highpass filter in front of the common lowpass. Keep the highpass at a very low frequency, add – if possible – a little resonance. As paradox as this sounds, that can boost your bass big time!"

http://www.noizefield.com/interviews/ta ... kmann-u-he

Urs talks about it on other topics too.

Just forgive me if I'm being a bit naive, it works, but someone can explain the reason? I'm failing to see.

IIUC most filters have a 'bump' at the center/crossover frequency, or just the other side of it. The resonance increases this.

So a HighPass set at 50Hz would filter below that, and there would be a bump at roughly 60Hz-ish.

That's my late-night not-very-technical explanation. I do know it works though- quite well!

Exactly like Neuropath said. The nice thing about the filter is it can follow the note, compared to a EQ boost. So you put the filter (100% key follow) where you like, put some resonance to boost and that's it.

It isn't just some bass boost from resonance, there is also some phase distortion from highpass that colours a sound a bit after it passes through the second filter: most modern filters have a non-linearities of some sort (modeled in different ways, simple post-waveshaping in the simplest cases) which colour the sound affected by distorted phase (due to highpassing) resulting in a more "analogue" feel and bass-booming.

Nice! Great explanations from everyone :)

Also I think removing the non-audible freq range (0-20 hz) gives some room for the audible bass range.

But be aware that for some styles (EDM, cinema) also the sub freqs are needed. ;)

/* static noise */
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Return to “u-he”