BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

thanks for tutorial, will watch.

Edit: Watched - great lesson, thanks
Last edited by Musical Gym on Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The funny thing is that what i like most about BlueArp is that it rather acts like a step sequencer than an arpeggiator. :) There's a real lack of plugins which are like it, so it's great to have BlueArp really.

Finally got around to trying BlueARP... some pretty cool functionality there!

I have a couple questions

First, I find the preset saving a bit confusing. If I edit an existing preset and like what I end up with, how would I save that without losing the preset I started with?

Also, is there a basic arp mode where one can hold any arbitrary number of keys and have them arpeggiate?

Hi.
I have a problem with Blue Arp chrassing my music program and my soundcard. You might be able to help me?
First a big thanks to the developer of this program. Well made and very useful in a live situation.
I work with an advanced live setup in Ableton Live 9 on a powerful Windows 10 computer connected to a Thunderbolt sound card. Everything is controlled by an audio / MIDI wind instrument and multiple remote controllers.
Here's the problem, sometimes when I save a session and then later open it back up, Blue Arp causes the program to freeze and the sound card to go down after the first keystrokes.
Often I can get it to work again if I restart everything and finds a new program "curr. Chain" and "patch num." number before I send MIDI to Blue Arp.
It can also happen in the middle of a concert, thankfully not wery often, but suddenly and often quite by chance. If I switch sound or program number, then the program freezes, the sound card goes down and emits a hideous hum. A bit unfortunate when there is an audience.
Do any anyone else have this experiace?
Could it have something to do with the sound card drivers? Or is it an error in the file storing Blue Arp data? These are the two reasons I can think of.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Balther
https://balthersballroom.bandpage.com/

pdxindy wrote:Finally got around to trying BlueARP... some pretty cool functionality there!
I have a couple questions
First, I find the preset saving a bit confusing. If I edit an existing preset and like what I end up with, how would I save that without losing the preset I started with?
Also, is there a basic arp mode where one can hold any arbitrary number of keys and have them arpeggiate?
There's no 'revert to original preset', but for the same thing I usually copy preset to another slot (MENU -> Program -> Copy) and then modify it.
Nope, no basic arp mode. BlueARP is pattern arpeggiator, almost any DAW has basic arp with all basic stuff )

Balther wrote:Hi.
I have a problem with Blue Arp chrassing my music program and my soundcard. You might be able to help me?
First a big thanks to the developer of this program. Well made and very useful in a live situation.
I work with an advanced live setup in Ableton Live 9 on a powerful Windows 10 computer connected to a Thunderbolt sound card. Everything is controlled by an audio / MIDI wind instrument and multiple remote controllers.
Here's the problem, sometimes when I save a session and then later open it back up, Blue Arp causes the program to freeze and the sound card to go down after the first keystrokes.
Often I can get it to work again if I restart everything and finds a new program "curr. Chain" and "patch num." number before I send MIDI to Blue Arp.
It can also happen in the middle of a concert, thankfully not wery often, but suddenly and often quite by chance. If I switch sound or program number, then the program freezes, the sound card goes down and emits a hideous hum. A bit unfortunate when there is an audience.
Do any anyone else have this experiace?
Could it have something to do with the sound card drivers? Or is it an error in the file storing Blue Arp data? These are the two reasons I can think of.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Balther
https://balthersballroom.bandpage.com/
If it's someting with BlueARP, it will be tricky... In my FL studio performances I didn't have any crashes for a long time (2+ years). But anyway, I didn't quite get this part:
Balther wrote:Often I can get it to work again if I restart everything and finds a new program "curr. Chain" and "patch num." number before I send MIDI to Blue Arp.
Can you please describe in more detail?

graywolf2004 wrote:
Balther wrote: If it's someting with BlueARP, it will be tricky... In my FL studio performances I didn't have any crashes for a long time (2+ years). But anyway, I didn't quite get this part:
Balther wrote:Often I can get it to work again if I restart everything and finds a new program "curr. Chain" and "patch num." number before I send MIDI to Blue Arp.
Can you please describe in more detail?
Thanks for getting back to me.
I've tested it the last few days and have found out that when I edit in BlueArp and save my project in Ableton Live9, shut down and then restart the program and sends MIDI to BlueArp, then it will chraser the program and sound card.
But I can avoid it by before I shut down, then switch the program and sound inside BlueArp before I save the project.
Sometimes, but very rarely it also happens in the middle of a set.
It looks as it doesn't happen when I have saved the project without having edited in BlueArp.
My terori is that Live 9 don't save the final editing in the project file until I move away from it and save the project. Maybe BlueArp can't find the reference in Live 9 in this case?
I would emphasize that a program is brilliant and well thought out. Can be used in many contexts.
I use it mostly as auto bass.
Here is a link to a live recording where I use BlueArp as bass controller, controlled by a EWI 5000 wind instrument:
https://soundcloud.com/balther/balther-solo-down-town

nice feeling but way too busy

Musical Gym wrote:nice feeling but way too busy
Thanks and yes Downtown is a busy place. :)

tried searching forum (can't search one letter...), read manual, watched a bunch of vids, can't find them mentioned anywhere...

DruMunkey wrote:tried searching forum (can't search one letter...), read manual, watched a bunch of vids, can't find them mentioned anywhere...
Oh, sorry, my bad. I forgot to mention them in release notes and didn't yet reflect in the manual

"B" - Bank-related parameter (affects all programs in a bank)
"P" - Program-related parameter, affects only current program
"G" - Global parameter

Of course it's subjective, I categorized them myself based on my experience. So it's open for discussion.

Currently I'm in the process of adding polyphonic key select feature, like I did already with octave.
Already have this thing working, but need to test all the stuff carefully (1-2 weeks). It will be version 2.2.1.
Here's how it looks:
BlueARP_poly_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by graywolf2004 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Balther wrote: Thanks for getting back to me.
I've tested it the last few days and have found out that when I edit in BlueArp and save my project in Ableton Live9, shut down and then restart the program and sends MIDI to BlueArp, then it will chraser the program and sound card.
But I can avoid it by before I shut down, then switch the program and sound inside BlueArp before I save the project...
Can you tell me your exact version of Ableton, 32 or 64 bit? Also can you send me some sample project to reproduce the error?

Also - what kind of automation do you use? You told you have a breath controller. So, beside sending midi notes to bluearp, do you have 'curr. chain' parameter automated or do you send program change messages to bluearp? It think it might be some bug in chains switching logic.
One suggesion I have - if you use chains, saving a project with non-initial chain (except '---') may be the reason of crashing. When you change a program in bluearp, it always resets the chain.So before saving, try to set 'curr.chain' to '---'.

I've only recently stumbled across BlueARP. Thank you, Graywolf. This is absolutely superb.

I'm using this in Logic Pro X, and I'm pleased to say that it works like a charm.
Last edited by Opax on Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Opax

Return to “Instruments”