Soundcloud could be forced to close after massive losses...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VitaminD wrote:
GeckoYamori wrote:
VitaminD wrote:I miss MP3.com in the late 90s. They had charts for various genres and thus sections for different genres. New songs could be found in their own list. Could create CDs for a % of sale price. Payola program for number of listens (I made almost 11 bucks -- which I subsequently never received by not cashing out apparently). And a featured songs list if you wanted to pay for listing.

One could also design their page to a degree.. it was neat.

I suspect most of that went into bandcamp.com when mp3c died.
I also remember the "golden age" of mp3.com. All of these services inevitably seem to go through the same cycle. Eventually in some misguided pursuit of growth they seem more interested in catering to the traditional record labels, often at the expense of marginalizing the smaller indepenant one who originally came to define the site. And then their brand just slip into total irrelevance as their original userbase abandons them for greener pastures, and the kind of mainstream audience who listens to the artists from the big labels already have other outlets for that kind of consumption, so their service is now just pointless and superfluous.
precisely.

too bad too.. I would really like to see a late 90s/early 2000s site like mp3c come around. The top40 charts were fun, and I found a lot of music I probably wouldn't have normally went for otherwise through the new songs list and just randomly clicking through genre categories.

There's no chance of any of those sites springing up again. I remember them all. Unfortunately napster made making the time/attention investment in unknown artists unfathomable to most consumers, and it was downhill from there. In general, people don't look for what they don't know, if they have options. Sad state of affairs. f**k piracy.

DJ Warmonger wrote:
who would give them money for that
Unlimited upload and listener profiling are both important for serious business. I don't see anything wrong with that offer.
well lets be realistic here. we arent talking about "serious business"...were talking about mostly (vastly, almost entirely) no name musicians and bands.

but ok...lets look at the offerings, disregarding the free account...

4€ month gets you:
tier 1- +3 hours (2x time)
who played most
# of plays by country

the extra time is ok... but thats not a lot of stat info of much use. # of plays by country? how many people need to know that? what am i going to do...pack up and fly to germany because i get a bunch of plays there?

9€ month gets you

tier 2- unlimited time
plays by city
plays by soundcloud page
plays by app
plays by website

so the cost is more than double tier 1...the extra time is again nice if you need unlimited time, and 4 extra stats, but at least 2 of those stats are pointless. plays by sc page? what good is that?...and plays by app??? like how many of the plays were through their terrible app? what are you going to do with that information?

and plays by city is only helpful if you plan on doing a tour...which most people dont.

and thats not even considering the fact that (as i mentioned earlier) the stats are broken. they have been for ever.

i had a paid subscription to sc for years...the stats are always out of wack and wouldnt be that helpful if they were accurate. though tbh...i only ever had the tier 1 plan, but i never found myself thinking..."ya know...i really wish i knew how many plays i was getting via the app".

so really all youre paying for (that you can use) is the extra time. well...other services give you unlimited time for free...and features that are actually useful to the majority of users. the extra time and broken metrics dont warrant the fee...especially when you consider how they nerfed a bunch of other stuff and their competitors offer more for less.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote: so really all youre paying for (that you can use) is the extra time. well...other services give you unlimited time for free...and features that are actually useful to the majority of users. .
services such as?

would be kinda useful to know, round about now. ;)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote: so really all youre paying for (that you can use) is the extra time. well...other services give you unlimited time for free...and features that are actually useful to the majority of users. .
services such as?

well i mentioned earlier up...this thread prompted me to migrate over to hearthis.at you can see the new link in my sig.

super easy to set up and simply import everything from sc....took me 10 mins...and 8 of those were just because i had to re-tag my track genres. everything else imported perfectly...track order, descriptions, and images.
ImageImageImage

whyterabbyt wrote:
services such as?

Hearthis.at, linked above gives unlimited time for free. They limit your weekly upload bandwidth to 2GB, which is stupidly reasonable and seems like it's just there to protect against some strange kind of abuse that I can't imagine what.

They also give you a feature which I think is great and find REALLY irritating about soundcloud, they allow you to update the file for a track without deleting the track profile. This is a "feature" of the paid account on soundcloud. I couldn't care less about the likes, but I hate reseting up the details and the track cover. I've already set up my artist pages, which allow you to change the background for each track as well as the cover image and gives you a nice cropping tool of the background. I know, that's a little feature, but I appreciate as I tend to upload strange photos and just take little portions of it as a pixelated background.

While I'm singing their praises, they allow you to link multiple accounts. This is a feature that I really like as I use different monikers for different styles.

I also use archive.org for really long improvisations (two hours or more) that I expect nobody would ever in their life pay anything for under any circumstances. I'm amazed that anyone even listens to them, but some people do, there are listens that cannot be accounted for from my ip. Archive.org , naturally, requires that you are uploading stuff under some form of CC commons license, which is fine for the stuff that I'm talking about.

I suspect that there are others, I will probably set up more than one just to hedge my bets. One of the cloud storage services that I used just announced that they are going under this week, such is the nature of silicon valley.

chaosWyrM wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
services such as?

well i mentioned earlier up...this thread prompted me to migrate over to hearthis.at you can see the new link in my sig.

super easy to set up and simply import everything from sc....took me 10 mins...and 8 of those were just because i had to re-tag my track genres. everything else imported perfectly...track order, descriptions, and images.
yeah, that's one. anywhere else? might as well stake my claims now.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
services such as?

yeah, that's one. anywhere else? might as well stake my claims now.
Bandcamp also has unlimited uploads, but I haven't been able to make effective use of it yet, it feels clunky.

well...to be honest...i didnt shop around much. im kind of lazy by nature...and ive been putting off setting up a sc alternative for months and months.i basically just stopped updating sc and not bothering to post new stuff anywhere (plus also i was working on an album and decided i wasnt going to post a bunch of those tracks anywhere). i had been hearing about hearthis.at from all over...so id already looked at it. i heard good things about it, it seemed to be the most popular, and looked like it fit the bill when i checked it out...so i didnt really shop around.

there was a recent thread somewhere here about http://www.orfium.com, but i dont know how good it is.
ImageImageImage

about bandcamp...i wouldnt really say its comparable. its more for finished products like albums and such to sell.

i use it...i really like it, they make everything easy to do and set up. but its more a storefront kind of thing than a sharing site.
ImageImageImage

I recently got a tip about this page:
http://www.inmusik.co
Seems like a cross between bandcamp, sc and hearthis.

Miss timed comments and such, though.

Seems like they try to push for the masses, but there's also great options like project, where you can post stuff for collaborations.
It's still in the bud, after having tried earlier I think, but has recently gone through some metamorphosis and emerged in California.
The developer is an active musician and is asking users for input and feature requests. So I'm kind of hopeful, it can be a good place to be, as a musician and content-provider.
Maybe if enough artists send them feature requests like timed and branching comments, we can make them adjust it to our wishes. (Ok,ok, naive-mode: off) If wishes were ponies and so on...
There's some scary stuff there though, something about listeners using gestures to listen or relisten or something "new" and automatic preview listing. I don't know what that is, though I guess it's for the coming app.
Registered there just a couple of days ago, but already had direct communication with the developer in comments and such. He posts his music and listens to other users' too and join discussions about inmusik and seems quite forthcoming. Active and present, seems promising imo
Worth checking out.

Found the types of accounts available, copy/pasting/editing it in here:
BASIC                                                             PROFESSIONAL                            Unlimited

Online Music Store
Standardized customization
Custom inmusik.co URL
500MB Storage                                                5 GB Storage                                  Unlimited
15% Sales Fee*                                               10% Sales Fee*                               7.5% sales fee
                                                                      Fan Emails                                       Fan emails
                                                                                                                             Collection reports
                                                                                                                             Advanced Report Builder

FREE                                                               8.25 euro/month                               29 euro/month

Anyhow, hearthis is nice too and unlimited upload space is good to have. Good place as a sharing platform to link to and such.
Last edited by gaf_thit on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hearthis is too unknown with only a very small customer base compared to Soundcloud. I have some stuff on Hearthis if I need it for embedding (not supported by Soundcloud) but the primary platform is still Soundcloud.

chaosWyrM wrote:about bandcamp...i wouldnt really say its comparable. its more for finished products like albums and such to sell.

i use it...i really like it, they make everything easy to do and set up. but its more a storefront kind of thing than a sharing site.
Yes, that was a brain fart, I was mentally conflating bandcamp and soundclick.

that inmusik site looks like it might be cool...maybe...for some people. theres no real info there. digging through to get to parts of the site that are up...its def not my bag.

its waaaay too slick hipster millennial looking for me. with little fake promo blurbs about the artists that are obvious clickbait nonsense:

"I'm in genuine shock that an artist with pipes as killer as Simone Hines' doesn't have thousands of ears tuned in yet. A singer/songwriter... "

"John Moukarzel just captured my heart. He's probably a descendant of Ed Sheeran. I dare anyone to disagree with me on that."

"NOISEINK just dropped a killer new EP, and if you haven't heard it yet, you're missing out! Listen to Animal Kingdom now and follow NOISEINK... "

ugh...pass.
ImageImageImage

Yes, it's a bit slick. Focus on up-and-coming artists, how to make it in the industry and so on... but that is no aim for my part. I'm testing it for the collab functions and to check if there'll be something like a community feel, like I felt with classic soundcloud.

Must say, I haven't seen those blurbs, haha. I have an active BS-filter nowadays. Doesn't notice it, just like ads, maybe it register subconsciously, though and that's why I feel aggressive more and more often when online...

Anyway, 500mb with the free account is quite a limiting factor, too.

Must wake my hearthis account from suspended animation, I think.

gaf_thit wrote:Yes, it's a bit slick. Focus on up-and-coming artists, how to make it in the industry and so on... but that is no aim for my part. I'm testing it for the collab functions and to check if there'll be something like a community feel, like I felt with classic soundcloud.

Must say, I haven't seen those blurbs, haha. I have an active BS-filter nowadays. Doesn't notice it, just like ads, maybe it register subconsciously, though and that's why I feel aggressive more and more often when online...

Anyway, 500mb with the free account is quite a limiting factor, too.

Must wake my hearthis account from suspended animation, I think.
hehe...i can see the appeal for some people. im just a curmudgeonly old fart. that place looks like its too excited about things for me. me signing up for that site seems like it would be like me dating an 18 year old. i feel i would be constantly rolling my eyes and annoyed.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”