music production schools help!!!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone !

So i’m Alex 19 years old. And as you saw it in the title, i’d like to get some advices about applying for a music production course, in Europe. I’m currently in a 3 years course, studying motion design, and i don’t like it at all. I decided to quit rather than having a job i don’t like in the future.

I first started to make music at the age of 8. Fruity loops :hihi: . And i’ve never stopped getting better and i’ve learned to use Pro Tools, Reason and Logic Pro by my own. I’ve also learned the main Waves plug-ins (SSL, Multibands, EQs, Stereo imagers, Compressors…), Brainworks and Ozone.

4 years ago, i met an artist from Orlando, he first liked my instrumentals, then he asked for a song. So i jumped on the opportunity, and made a song with him (beat, mixing, mastering). As a result, he got 2 millions views on youtube, thousand of streams, and a radio cover in the UK. Later on, we made 4 songs together. At the end of the day, i got 3 millions views on youtube and thousand of streams with him.

So yeah, nowadays it might be really easy to break the internet, people often told me quit everything, you can make it on your own….. Well, not really, if don’t have the connections you won’t get anywhere. And i still have a lot to learn as well. I’ve recently, got into DJing, with some Pioneer material. :phones:

So today, i’d like to pursue my way into the music industry and work in there. So that’s why i’m calling to you guys, whoever you are, teachers, professionals, artists, students… I’m interested in a music production/sound engineering course. I’ve heard some school like DBs Berlin, SAE, Abbey Road Institute, Berklee….

Is paying for courses a good idea ? Can a school provide interesting connections ?
My aim is obviously to get a job a the end of it, it’s gotta be worth the price.

If you have any questions i’ll be there :wink:

Thanks a lot !

young_beverly wrote:My aim is obviously to get a job a the end of it, it’s gotta be worth the price.
What job precisely, what do you expect to do, "work in industry" means anything and nothing, so what are you planning to do here actually?
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Either sound engineer or music producer. To me "working in the industry" means, mixing and mastering songs for artists, being a part of a creative process like creating a song from scratch. From a guitar chord line to the final product that's ready to figure in an album. And eventually getting some business knowledge like promoting/selling a product...

What i wanted to say, is that, if i apply in a course, i wish to get help from teachers and professional, besides classes. I mean that they might provide some contacts, and help students to create their paths. I don't want at the end of the course to be the same as i was before, without any contacts, no job, and desperate to find a path into this big industry. Correct me if i'm wrong but without contacts and any recognition you won't get anywhere.

Hey young_beverly

As someone studied Music Production at degree level and now currently employed at the establishment I studied I and can give you some insight into my particular experience,but obviously I cant guarantee similar experience across different campuses

[Just to note from the age of 18 I had a few full time jobs in studios before even having any music qualification so you don't necessarily need "qualifications" but a little knowledge and a good attitude with the ability to sell yourself]

So Things to consider

- Expense -

Depending on how you shall be funding this excursion its going to cost a pretty penny which you may or may not have to pay up front or repay back at a later date. In the UK we have a government body called Student Finance who provide funding for its citizens, part loan, part grant and depending on your age and financial situation this usually covers course fee's, living expenses and only needs to be paid back if you start earning over a certain threshold.

- Experience -

Staying in dorms/student housing may be your first step in the adult world, possibly your first taste of freedom, maybe you'll start a band and squash a five piece into someones bedroom, maybe you'll perform a DJ set to a packed out house party, or perhaps you'll create an indoor waterfall by ripping the radiator off the wall and not get your deposit back. Anything could happen.

- Contacts -

So the first would be your immediate peers, you have the opportunity to collaborate across the campus do you need a designer, photographer, film maker, well you know where to find them now, they may or may not be established professionals, but at my campus the standard of quality is pretty dam good, its actually amazing how talented some of these individuals are

Like anywhere maybe you will just get people who just like the idea of doing something rather than actually committing to action, but at least you will have that experience of organising/managing people, which you will be able to draw on when you select people in the future,

Secondary will be your lecturers, are they touring? do they own local studios? do they put on events? what kind of guests do they bring in? I can tell you 100% that some of our students have made contact with established artist's, publishers, head hunters from a simple visit, maybe its only 1 pupil out of 50 but its up to the individual student to bridge that gap and make something out of it

To sum up I think people mainly focus on the what will I learn "factually" when tbh if you've already been studying audio you will most likely be covering familiar ground in lesson, however its an opportunity to sharpen your tool set and inevitably like any experience will be what you make of it

All the Best

Thanks a lot for the answer !!

It's a really helpful one and accurate as well. I should consider taking some studio jobs right now. I think it'll opens some doors and probably light me up about choosing this career in order to make a living.

But as you described the degree. Going in a campus could be really helpful as well, if I want to make contacts and build myself as an artist. Yeah as you said, 1 out of 50 will make it, but I see this as an opportunity and I believe that I can only make positive encounters there. I didn't know there was such possibilities to be honest, I'm very surprised.

Now, which one of SAE, DBs, Abbey Road Institute.... would be the best option for me ? If you can bring some details about them I'll be flattered.

Nice to see you so inspired :)

I'm afraid I've never been to any of the ones you've mentioned so I can't comment, all I can suggest is do a bit of sleuthing

- Look for equipment lists see if they have the kind of gear/software you want to work on.

- Check out their facebook pages, they may have some aimed at their current students, which will give you an insight into how they engage with their students and how the students engage with each other.

- Check for interviews they've had with guests on youtube, think about who have they brought in, are they people you want to meet? do the lecturers have a snobby arrogance or engaging demeanor, do they sound passionate and inclusive?

- You can also use facebook to contact current students, they may also have a student rep or union,

(Some questions to ask them)

~Ask the students what their typical day is like, and their teachers attitude day to day
~How do the teachers deliver criticism (is it like the film whip lash lol)
~Ask how often they bring in guests
~How often do guests listen to the students work,
~Ask them "what opportunities will arise from my attendance"
~To what extent do people collaborate with different departments
~How often will they put on shows outside of the college, (If they only put on one show a year, maybe be cautious)
~Ask the lecturers how long they've been working there, (high staff turnover could indicate a bad work environment)
~Also ask how often students spontaneously start singing or performing in the cafeteria

One final note is the Colleges you mentioned seem to only specialize in music which is good and may look great on your CV, however you might not get the perks I mentioned previously about meeting people from other disciplines photographers, game designers etc. Keep in mind more diverse institutions may have a wider variety of networking opportunities with a larger array of people

All the Best

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”