The I promise I will not buy more gear-thread

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ha! A remember this thread!

Other than my temporary vst world attraction (which is now subsiding DRAMATICALLY) not much in all this time. I bought quite a few RE's but they were all sales and other than maybe two, really necessary stuff in the reason realm.

I did buy a 7 string guitar (that I actually kept this time :lol: ) but it wasn't too much money.

I've made a rule for myself when buying new gear or instruments . Sell some old gear and/or instruments before making the new purchase , or trade it in ... And I make sure it is gear or instruments that I'm not using or in love with ... VST , DAW , samples , I haven't been able to do much with sell and trade there.

I haven't bought anything in over a month and have no intention to get anything.
What worked for me was to remove the market place from my list of subscribed forums.
If you don't know about it, you can't want it.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Considering all the $$$ that I've spent on audio software & soundware, in retrospect it would have made more sense to buy a few (or even one) very large bundle(s) (NI's Complete Ultimate comes to mind) versus piecemeal - Komplete Ultimate in conjunction with a few stand-alones/vsts/ & a complete DAW (say: Omnisphere, Spire, & Cubase) would have been plenty.

Staying with the NI example: NI periodically updates Komplete Ultimate with new stuff, so I could have spent my time learning just their world, staying primarily focused on making music (isn't that the fundamental goal?) and just upgrading (therefore: adding new software/soundware) only when NI did -

If I had had a solid plan to begin with, it overall would have been a lot cheaper, more efficient, & much more productive.

So: I promise not to buy any more gear *anything* unless it's immediately useful.

goldenanalog wrote:Considering all the $$$ that I've spent on audio software & soundware, in retrospect it would have made more sense to buy a few (or even one) very large bundle(s) (NI's Complete Ultimate comes to mind) versus piecemeal - Komplete Ultimate in conjunction with a few stand-alones/vsts/ & a complete DAW (say: Omnisphere, Spire, & Cubase) would have been plenty.

Staying with the NI example: NI periodically updates Komplete Ultimate with new stuff, so I could have spent my time learning just their world, staying primarily focused on making music (isn't that the fundamental goal?) and just upgrading (therefore: adding new software/soundware) only when NI did -

If I had had a solid plan to begin with, it overall would have been a lot cheaper, more efficient, & much more productive.

So: I promise not to buy any more gear *anything* unless it's immediately useful.
I have K10U, and even that doesn't take care of the gear lust.
Blue Phase Music

Carbonflake wrote:I haven't bought anything in over a month and have no intention to get anything.
What worked for me was to remove the market place from my list of subscribed forums.
If you don't know about it, you can't want it.
:)

It's true that some offers are mighty tempting, even though you wouldn't have bought the stuff if it wasn't so cheap. But then, there's some real no-brainers offered here, which i'd be sorry to let pass, so i better keep the market place in MyForums. I guess, the bottom line is that you'll never not buy any more gear. :P

Blue Phase Music wrote:
Exactamundo!

That's just it, you can have it, anticipate it, and just want more. Not that that is wrong, but just saying.

incubus wrote:
Blue Phase Music wrote:
Exactamundo!

That's just it, you can have it, anticipate it, and just want more. Not that that is wrong, but just saying.
The problem with all of the possibilities is like this: I've completely forgotten about Massive and FM8 and Absynth, which are still perfectly usable, simply because of all the new and shiny available.

I've decided (for now) that I'm done buying noise-makers, and I'll be concentrating on what I do have, revisiting synths and sample libraries that I've all but forgotten about.

I'm still in the market for noise and midi manglers, even though I probably shouldn't be, what with Reaktor 'n' all.
Blue Phase Music

fedexnman wrote:I've made a rule for myself when buying new gear or instruments . Sell some old gear and/or instruments before making the new purchase , or trade it in ... And I make sure it is gear or instruments that I'm not using or in love with ... VST , DAW , samples , I haven't been able to do much with sell and trade there.
I've been doing that this year, to some degree at least. Sold my Pro-C and Pro-L to get Presswerk, sold my Therapsid to get an Atmegatron, sold my Meeblip Anode to get a Groovesizer TB2, sold my Devi Ever Rocket to get Serum, etc.

But then I ordered the Thingamagoop 3000 without having sold any gear to fund it... :D

The problem with gear addiction (GAS) is the fasting/binge cycle...it's a trap. I haven't purchased anything new for 7 years. You read that right - SEVEN years! That was the "fasting" stage, which inevitably lead to my binge yesterday: I purchased an old Yamaha FS1R and a new Studiologic Sledge.

Hopefully, confessing this will purge me of this violation, and allow me to get back on the wagon again. But, at least I have something to toy with for the next seven years :hyper:

I have a new rule for myself: no rules. If I want something I just buy it. Isn´t that simple enough lol...

Today is Buy A Musical Instrument Day in the US. :troll:

My inlaws have moved out after 4 years. We're re-claiming 170 square metres of our house. Much more room for gear.
(my wife is going crazy with antique furniture so she can't really bitch at my purchases)
:^D
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp wrote:My inlaws have moved out after 4 years. We're re-claiming 170 square metres of our house. Much more room for gear.
(my wife is going crazy with antique furniture so she can't really bitch at my purchases)
Congrats on the new space. What all do you plan to buy ?

Defeats the purpose of this thread, i know, but still interested.

Ridan wrote:
werp wrote:My inlaws have moved out after 4 years. We're re-claiming 170 square metres of our house. Much more room for gear.
Congrats on the new space. What all do you plan to buy ?

Defeats the purpose of this thread, i know, but still interested.
bought this yesterday. And I just bought another guitar 3 minutes ago via eBay. I'm mainly just going to have room for the gear I already own...30 plus guitars, John Bowen Solaris, Moog sub 37, little phatty, yamaha AN1X, Pulse 2, MS-20 module, bass station 2, elektron rytm and octatrack, more amps than I know what to do with.....Image
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”