Running Kontakt 3rd party sample libraries off of USB 3 Flash Drive?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

More thanks :)

I have 2 libraries, and they will both fit on the 64GB flash drive. I don't use them often, which is partially why I'm considering this solution. If it works, cool, if not, then I'll go with just an external USB 3 HD, which I do have already. It's big and bulky, but I tend not to take my laptop around many places anyway.

grdh20 I see (from your sig) you're running a 840evo - that's really the best solution for me - to upgrade my laptop's SSD to a 1TB. Currently just have a 512GB SSD. Just haven't done that yet, cuz the thought of cloning a system drive sounds painful.\

Maybe I should just get the bigger drive and do a fresh windows install...

I put some Kontakt stuff on a SD card, to sort of have it permanently in the machine like a small HDD. Now that I can get SD cards 64GB and up quite affordable, I want to do more of that

The SD card is listed in Explorer

But in Kontakt it is not. :(

Can't Kontakt see SD cards ?

You have to enable removable drives in kontakts option menu if i remember correctly. I guess there is a disable option so that the browser stays clean.( or maybe the diac drive doesnt spin up esch time one opens kontakt?) i can have a look when im at my computer ahain.
Edit: its under the file browser: view : show removable drives

Yup, excellent, problem fixed, it showed up straight away :tu:

years ago I did this with a smaller flash drive, possibly usb2 - it was streaming the samples from the drive no problem, but it heated up like a piece of toast... and died. loading in ram is possibly going to avoid this. just be sure it doesn't overheat, depending on the content, and if it is set to streaming, you will have to load into ram.

BITWORD wrote:years ago I did this with a smaller flash drive, possibly usb2 - it was streaming the samples from the drive no problem, but it heated up like a piece of toast... and died. loading in ram is possibly going to avoid this. just be sure it doesn't overheat, depending on the content, and if it is set to streaming, you will have to load into ram.
I'm using a micro sd card inserted into a regular SD card adapter so I can fit it into the slot in the computer.

If there should be any overheating issues, I hope the SD adapter will act as a shield taking the damage rather than the micro sd itself

I guess, it depends on what you consider being "ok". I use many Kontact libraries and most of them located on SSDs. Recently I ran out of SSD ports so I bought 4 TB Western Digital Black (it supposed to be better than Seagate). This is definitely not a SSD experience. It takes good few seconds to load instruments- it is irritating and I don't want to wait. Just bought another 1 TB internal SSD. I don't see why anyone would concider USB drive if it is not for mobility. It is better to install internal SSD. Mushkin 1 TB is at $200 price.

Return to “Instruments”